Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

I'm going to avoid talking in absolutes about him for now. Still got a few games from last year to watch and the early reports on that shoulder sounded career-threatening.

I'm still not sure about the off-field stuff. There's been some crap out of UCLA on a few high-profile guys and I'm not convinced it's not coming from Jim Mora. My disdain for him and Brian Kelly knows no bounds :)

...seems to be a consensus that the 2018 QB class is above average for whatever that's worth......realistically the usual crapshoot.....so if the prognosticators are closely correct, isn't Buffalo in the best position it has been in years with two 1sts?...

...seems to be a consensus that the 2018 QB class is above average for whatever that's worth......realistically the usual crapshoot.....so if the prognosticators are closely correct, isn't Buffalo in the best position it has been in years with two 1sts?...

Options are a good thing to have, no doubt about it. If they end up with their own pick being top-12 and the KC pick being top-20, that gives them a bunch of routes to go down.

If everyone with hype does declare, there's a realistic chance that there's 4-5 guys that have the look of being in that 1st round conversation. Having two picks gives them ammunition to move up if they desire. Using what seems to be the conventional pick value chart, Buffalo having #12 & #20 is enough to get the 4th pick fairly comfortably (provided we can get a partner to dance with).

I think Darnold comes out and he's #1, you don't have that hype this early unless GM's think he's special. As I said earlier in the week, his trajectory keeps going up and maybe he really is that special. As 34fan has said, at least in NFL circles, there's probably a dropoff between Darnold and the rest in terms of perception. The rest of the class either have experience and some flaws (Rudolph/Falk) or there's untapped potential in guys like Allen, Rosen.

With so much to unfold over the next few months it's hard to be certain but, having looked at a bunch of QB's over the summer, I'd probably rather be in the situation of having these picks and having the options than being KC with Mahomes and no 1st rounder. I guess in terms to that trade at this point - advantage Buffalo.

Options are a good thing to have, no doubt about it. If they end up with their own pick being top-12 and the KC pick being top-20, that gives them a bunch of routes to go down.

If everyone with hype does declare, there's a realistic chance that there's 4-5 guys that have the look of being in that 1st round conversation. Having two picks gives them ammunition to move up if they desire. Using what seems to be the conventional pick value chart, Buffalo having #12 & #20 is enough to get the 4th pick fairly comfortably (provided we can get a partner to dance with).

I think Darnold comes out and he's #1, you don't have that hype this early unless GM's think he's special. As I said earlier in the week, his trajectory keeps going up and maybe he really is that special. As 34fan has said, at least in NFL circles, there's probably a dropoff between Darnold and the rest in terms of perception. The rest of the class either have experience and some flaws (Rudolph/Falk) or there's untapped potential in guys like Allen, Rosen.

With so much to unfold over the next few months it's hard to be certain but, having looked at a bunch of QB's over the summer, I'd probably rather be in the situation of having these picks and having the options than being KC with Mahomes and no 1st rounder. I guess in terms to that trade at this point - advantage Buffalo.

...and it certainly cancels the $25 mil+ Cousins signing frenzy IMO.....some mocks have Falk, a favorite here, dropping to 24...I like our position.....paying 24mil+ for mediocrity is not my vision...yet overpaying for mediocrity out of desperation is now the league norm......some of the recent 1st rounders and backups STILL getting paid in the NFL is extortion...most would not have been UDFA's in the glory years.....just exemplifies how far the quality of the position has fallen IMO.............

just exemplifies how far the quality of the position has fallen IMO.............

Honestly, as much as this might seem like the old man ranting about how everything was better in the past, there's some merit to this. Given the rule changes to assist the passing game, it's never been easier in the NFL to get more from less in terms of QB production. I think it's why you've seen guys like Trevor Siemian look 'not abjectly terrible' in a starting role. I watched the guy at Northwestern a few times and I laughed at him getting picked in the 7th.

My favourite statistical comparison between eras is behemoth of Buffalo, Jim Kelly vs the much-maligned king of my heart, Jay Cutler.

Kelly - 60.1%, 221.7 yards per game, 5 TD%, 3.7 INT%, 84.4 passer rating.

Cutler - 61.9%, 233.6 yards per game, 4.6 TD%, 3.3 INT%, 85.7 passer rating.

I'm signing my death warrant with this, I realise :D

Honestly, as much as this might seem like the old man ranting about how everything was better in the past, there's some merit to this. Given the rule changes to assist the passing game, it's never been easier in the NFL to get more from less in terms of QB production. I think it's why you've seen guys like Trevor Siemian look 'not abjectly terrible' in a starting role. I watched the guy at Northwestern a few times and I laughed at him getting picked in the 7th.

My favourite statistical comparison between eras is behemoth of Buffalo, Jim Kelly vs the much-maligned king of my heart, Jay Cutler.

Kelly - 60.1%, 221.7 yards per game, 5 TD%, 3.7 INT%, 84.4 passer rating.

Cutler - 61.9%, 233.6 yards per game, 4.6 TD%, 3.3 INT%, 85.7 passer rating.

I'm signing my death warrant with this, I realise :D

...putting stats aside which are highly manipulative, I still rely on Steve Young's ( yup him, the HOF dude......think he gets some credit) proclamation that, "the reason why more collegians fail versus succeed at the NFL level is because of the speed and complexity of the game"....and the changes to the current game should make success easier IMO................

For those who have Big 10 Network, they are playing UCLA vs Nebraska from 2015 (freshman Josh Rosen) right now. 4th qtr just started. He's impressive but Nebraska D kind of sucks.

thanks for the update, but i just feel that personally, anything Rosen did before 2017 is kinda moot for me until I see how he has recovered from his injury.

Edited by JaCrispy

I was giving some thought to Josh Rosen yesterday (as you do) and I came to the conclusion that his current circumstance is pretty similar to the one that Connor Cook found himself in before his senior season at Michigan State.

• Both in a relatively pro-style offense that asks them to attack deeper portions of the field more regularly.
  • Both suffered from having an offensive line that struggled to hold up in pass protection.
  • Both had an NFL-calibre RB to take some of the strain.
  • Both only really had one reliable receiving option and a bunch of guys with hands like feet beyond that (UCLA's Jordan Lasley has draftable potential).
  • Both had scouts doubting their personality.
  • Both make some of the worst decisions I've seen outside of looking in a mirror.

I've charted 10 games of Rosen's now and I charted two seasons worth of Cook's throws. At some point soon, I'll get all of that data together and compare them side-by-side.

Edited by Blokestradamus

I just hope Peterman and Cardale can show some promise this season. Trading up is expensive

I just can't see them getting a chance (unless of course an injury happens). Tyrod will either solidifybthe position or they are going to move on from him. If they decide that he isn't the guy I can't imagine that they will pass on a strong QB class, in a year where they have 2 firsts. The 2018 starter is Tyrod or 2018 1st rounder. The situation dictates it as much as the players. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Mark Schofield of Inside The Pylon released the 2nd part of his QB watchlist last week, didn't see it posted. The link to part 1 is in the article.

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/2018-nfl-draft/2017/07/10/mark-schofields-check-july-10-2017-10-senior-qbs-watch/

DeVante Kincade (Grambling St) is included. Another FCS passer that isn't, Richmond's Kyle Lauletta, is another "sleeper" guy to keep an eye on. Lauletta is coming off an ACL injury suffered last season. Both could be potential names for the Senior Bowl watchlist.

Edited by Blokestradamus

I just can't see them getting a chance (unless of course an injury happens). Tyrod will either solidifybthe position or they are going to move on from him. If they decide that he isn't the guy I can't imagine that they will pass on a strong QB class, in a year where they have 2 firsts. The 2018 starter is Tyrod or 2018 1st rounder. The situation dictates it as much as the players.

Everyone is dooming him...but I am hoping c. jones the light just turns on and stays on in camp.....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.