Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

This. Trubisky looks low on confidence.... not surprising when your coach doesn't trust you to throw....

So did Goff in his rookie year. The time to get a good sense whether a young qb has the wherewithal is in his sophomore season after an offseason of preparation and a rookie year of grasping the playbook. Both Goff and Wentz (less so) struggled in their rookies seasons and now both appear to be on their way toward being very good franchise qbs. Wentz may turn out to be an outstanding qb in this league.

I have long advocated that it is imperative to get a good qb prospect on board so rather than later because the learning process can be excruciating and extended. The wait until the next draft class mantra has become an exercise in futility that is yearly repeated.

So did Goff in his rookie year. The time to get a good sense whether a young qb has the wherewithal is in his sophomore season after an offseason of preparation and a rookie year of grasping the playbook. Both Goff and Wentz (less so) struggled in their rookies seasons and now both appear to be on their way toward being very good franchise qbs. Wentz may turn out to be an outstanding qb in this league.

I have long advocated that it is imperative to get a good qb prospect on board so rather than later because the learning process can be excruciating and extended. The wait until the next draft class mantra has become an exercise in futility that is yearly repeated.

As you know I totally agree. Trubisky just needs proper offensive coaching as Goff did before you can judge him.

As you know I totally agree. Trubisky just needs proper offensive coaching as Goff did before you can judge him.

You and I sing in the same choir. :thumbsup:

The Rams heavily invested to get Goff in the draft. The new coach came in and immediately with the staff focused their efforts in putting the young qb in a position to succeed. The OL was bulked up with the acquisition of Whitworth at LT and Sullivan at Center. So the qb was better protected and the line was more accomplished in blocking for Gurley. The organization then brought in Woods and Watkins and used a high pick on Kupp to upgrade the receiving unit. The new and bright HC then devised a passing game that was relatively simple and put the qb in a position to have success. Success breeding success. This is good coaching, good front office work and player development. The Rams should be saluted. Compare what happened there to how the Browns have continued to flounder in their attempt to build a roster?

Edited by JohnC

@nfldraftscout

New Scouting Notebook: Is there a franchise saving QB in this draft?

https://t.co/4IcaqfU5qg

Last summer, the 2018 http://bleacherreport.com/nfldraft's quarterback class was thought to be on par with the famed 2004 crop of Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and http://bleacherreport.com/ben-roethlisberger. That led some analysts, and maybe even some NFL executives, to float the idea of tanking the season to secure one of the elite quarterbacks in this class.

Fast-forward to the end of October, and the Big Three—Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold and http://bleacherreport.com/josh-allen—havestruggled to live up to the expectations placed on them before the season. This raises the question: Is there a franchise-saving quarterback in this class?

To answer this, we have to look at the flaws of the Big Three and open our minds to the possibility of a dark-horse candidate.

@NFL_CFB

With focus on Darnold, Rosen + Allen, @WVUfootball's Will Grier flew under radar. Not anymore. #SourcesTellUs: http://on.nfl.com/yyh49T

DNE3vrIWAAAc3P4.jpg

I'm a Gator fan, and I can say I really liked what I saw of him in his limited time there. He was raw as hell, but you could easily see his progression game to game even in just that small sample size.

I haven't watched him this year, but the numbers do look good.

I'm a Gator fan, and I can say I really liked what I saw of him in his limited time there. He was raw as hell, but you could easily see his progression game to game even in just that small sample size.

I haven't watched him this year, but the numbers do look good.

I am not sure if it was hesitance or what but Grier should have been in the conversation weeks ago. The big questions on him should be lack of size and game experience. Otherwise he has everything you should love in a Quarterback. High winning pct at both schools, high completion %, nice TD to INT ratio, and it comes across on tape as well.

The odd thing for me, and I imagine it’s the media appointing him as the next exciting thing, but anything I read from Scouts and the National Media is that Mayfield is too small to be considered a 1st round pick but now Grier who is only an inch taller and much lighter is starting to be in that conversation?

I am not sure if it was hesitance or what but Grier should have been in the conversation weeks ago. The big questions on him should be lack of size and game experience. Otherwise he has everything you should love in a Quarterback. High winning pct at both schools, high completion %, nice TD to INT ratio, and it comes across on tape as well.

The odd thing for me, and I imagine it’s the media appointing him as the next exciting thing, but anything I read from Scouts and the National Media is that Mayfield is too small to be considered a 1st round pick but now Grier who is only an inch taller and much lighter is starting to be in that conversation?

One of the keys for me is always taking into account the system they play in. When Grier was starting at FL, they were playing a mostly pro-style offense, and his progressions through receivers was pretty good for a young QB. That's a BIG deal to me.

I don't know what WV is doing now. I know they've been spread in the past, but maybe they've changed recently? A small QB putting up big numbers in the spread isn't really anything to get excited about when looking at NFL prospects.

Edited by Acantha

The odd thing for me, and I imagine its the media appointing him as the next exciting thing, but anything I read from Scouts and the National Media is that Mayfield is too small to be considered a 1st round pick but now Grier who is only an inch taller and much lighter is starting to be in that conversation?

Mayfield will be a 1st round pick. Hell he might be the FIRST pick.

I think Rosen, if he comes out, goes first.

By the time the season ends and the player evaluations are in full swing Lamar Jackson will be moving up the ranks.

Do people think he will be in a draft spot where he will be gettable for us?

Not if we stand pat. Last year, the first three qbs taken were selected by teams that traded up. There are so many qb needy teams that it is going to be difficult to secure one of the higher rated qbs without being in a high draft position to do so.

By the time the season ends and the player evaluations are in full swing Lamar Jackson will be moving up the ranks.

Not if we stand pat. Last year, the first three qbs taken were selected by teams that traded up. There are so many qb needy teams that it is going to be difficult to secure one of the higher rated qbs without being in a high draft position to do so.

Are there any we would trade up for? Does McD really believe in Tyrod?

i agree but I dont think it will be one of those slam dunk overall #1s.

Probably true.

Are there any we would trade up for? Does McD really believe in Tyrod?

The Bills have the ammo to trade up. The real issue is how much do you want to give up? If there are three or four high end prospects then it doesn't make sense to deplete your draft assets when you can still come away with a good prospect. There are a couple of prospects that really intrigue me. Mayfield is one and Lamar Jackson is another. I'm not concerned with Mayfield's short stature. What impresses me is his accuracy in a high volume passing game. Lamar Jackson is a rawer qb but he can be a dynamic player who may take more time to develop. What has impressed me about him is that he made a quantum leap forward from last year to this year.

Having Taylor is a good situation to be in. That allows you more time to develop a prospect and not rush a player if he is not ready. It also allows your team to remain competitive with the veteran qb taking the snaps.

The Bills have the ammo to trade up. The real issue is how much do you want to give up? If there are three or four high end prospects then it doesn't make sense to deplete your draft assets when you can still come away with a good prospect. There are a couple of prospects that really intrigue me. Mayfield is one and Lamar Jackson is another. I'm not concerned with Mayfield's short stature. What impresses me is his accuracy in a high volume passing game. Lamar Jackson is a rawer qb but he can be a dynamic player who may take more time to develop. What has impressed me about him is that he made a quantum leap forward from last year to this year.

Having Taylor is a good situation to be in. That allows you more time to develop a prospect and not rush a player if he is not ready. It also allows your team to remain competitive with the veteran qb taking the snaps.

Jackson better improve his consistency or he will be just another athletic QB.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.