So When Do We Project to Be a Playoff Team?

After the trade down yesterday, I think it's clear that Bills management doesn't think it'll happen in 2017. If they'd thought this team was close, they'd have used that #10 overall to find a clear upgrade at an obvious position of need.

So what is the target year now? When could the Bills reasonably project as a 9.5 win (or so) team; that is, a team that is expected/is more likely than not to be in the playoffs? Not as in, "we project as a 7-9 team, but if a bunch of bounces go our way we could sneak into the playoffs at 9-7."

2018: they've pretty much signaled that Tyrod is a one year bridge (again) in 2017, and there'll be a new QB in 2018. You wouldn't be stockpiling picks for 2018 expecting to win with rookies right away. Plus you've got some big contracts for aging players in their decline phases still on the books. So ... no. Not yet.

2019? I'd guess that McD (not Whaley) thinks this is when he'll have to start showing results. Start showing results, as in "got out from under some of the bad decisions of the Whaley era, and started showing a new core of players that's ready to take the next step."

That brings me to 2020 ... I guess all of that could change if we somehow grab a Garoppolo or Cousins and he turns out to be the QB of our dreams, but that seems unlikely. 2020 it is!

EDIT: maybe this has something to do with how long they think Brady will last? The recent moves strike me as going into full rebuild mode but being afraid to admit it.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely disagree with the sentiment that the Bills concede that they're not a playoff team because of the trade down.

No logic to it, at all.

Explain please. If you're Whaley/McD and you think you're on the verge of winning now, why do you trade down to add another 1st rounder next year? I guess you could say "because we're so good right now we don't need that #10 overall to put us over the top" ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Explain please.

By some accounts I've read, White really isn't that far from Lattimore in talent, and as a 4 year starter is more nfl ready than quite a few guys picked ahead of him.

How are we conceding the season by trading down for an immediate starter at a position of need, and adding another likely '17 starter in the process? That's quite a conclusion you arrived at there.

By some accounts I've read, White really isn't that far from Lattimore in talent, and as a 4 year starter is more nfl ready than quite a few guys picked ahead of him.

How are we conceding the season by trading down for an immediate starter at a position of need, and adding another likely '17 starter in the process? That's quite a conclusion you arrived at there.

I start from the premise that the Bills obviously need to get better than they were last year to realistically compete this year, and there's really no sane argument that that is going to happen when the draft is all done.

I continue with the premise that adding rookie talent in 2018 isn't a recipe for immediate success. And I conclude with the premise that Bills management must, therefore, realistically (even if they can't say it for PR/Pegula reasons) think that 2019 at the earliest is the target.

I start from the premise that the Bills obviously need to get better than they were last year to realistically compete this year, and there's really no sane argument that that is going to happen when the draft is all done.

I continue with the premise that adding rookie talent in 2018 isn't a recipe for immediate success. And I conclude with the premise that Bills management must, therefore, realistically (even if they can't say it for PR/Pegula reasons) think that 2019 at the earliest is the target.

Yup and yup.

The fun is those who tendentiously and angrily disagree on these boards...