Interesting article on NFL's "Racial Divide"

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-nfls-racial-divide/?addata=espn:nfl:index

it includes quotes from Ex-Bills coach Dennis Thurman. And I would not use divide for it has a connotation of intent - I'd use term Separation or Categorization.

“If you’re white and you’re playing corner, it’s almost like it was back in the day if you were black and playing quarterback,” said Thurman, who was the Buffalo Bills’ defensive coordinator the past two seasons. “You’re just not going to be given an opportunity to show what you can do. The thinking just isn’t open to that.”
Sehorn’s success might have opened the door to other white corners, but they never arrived. “There are these moments where the categories are up for grabs,” Gladwell said. “If Jason Sehorn had been followed by three great cornerbacks, maybe the category would have shifted.”
Edited by Koolaid

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-nfls-racial-divide/?addata=espn:nfl:index

it includes quotes from Ex-Bills coach Dennis Thurman. And I would not use divide for it has a connotation of intent - I'd use term Separation or Categorization.

problem is most whites just aren't quick/shifty enough to play the position, also why they aren't great at RB. McCaffrey is an aberration not a trend.

Blacks excel at speed, running and jumping events like Track

Whites are better at strength like Strongman, Powerlifting and Weightlifting, which is why they do better at Lineman where explosiveness isn't as critical.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

This just in, white people not as good at sports as black people lol.

I mean, I am sure this same article could have been written many years ago when a black QB was against the grain so to speak.

Tell that to all of the white swimmers and the massive number of white guys throwing 95+ mph fastballs.

Swimming?

Swimming was a major world athletic sport last i checked. Michael phelps is a better athlete than anyone playing in the nfl. The post i responded to said that blacks were better athletes than whites based, seemingly, on watching football and maybe basketball/sprinting and not much else. The world of athletics is a lot bigger than the world of the nfl corneback.

Edited by dave mcbride

Depends on the sport

Believe me I know, I wrote "lol" in there to show I was being lite hearted about it.

Swimming was a major world athletic sport last i checked. The post i responded to said that blacks were better athletes than whites based, seemingly, on watching football and maybe basketball/sprinting and not much else. The world of athletics is a lot bigger than the world of the nfl corneback.

I will go no further with a discussion about swimming. Not happening

Believe me I know, I wrote "lol" in there to show I was being lite hearted about it.

I will go no further with a discussion about swimming. Not happening

Then don't make blanket statements like the one you issued above. You do agree that swimming is an actual sport that involves athletic talent and that it's quite popular globally, no?

This just in, white people not as good at sports as black people lol.

I mean, I am sure this same article could have been written many years ago when a black QB was against the grain so to speak.

No I think you're wrong. I think that's what this article is trying to say. There is a lot of reverse racism in American sports. Racist people have assumed that black athletes are better. That's why they have been the majority.

Swimming was a major world athletic sport last i checked. Michael phelps is a better athlete than anyone playing in the nfl. The post i responded to said that blacks were better athletes than whites based, seemingly, on watching football and maybe basketball/sprinting and not much else. The world of athletics is a lot bigger than the world of the nfl corneback.

BTW European counties almost always win World Cups, and the Pats win Super Bowls. Blacks and Whites have equal athletic ability. It's simply reverse racism.

White and black are social constructs. Genetically, diversity matters the most. It gets rid of all that inbreeding, no matter what race you are. That's why mules, mutts and the big cat hybrids are twice as big as their pure breed counterparts.

Genetics pale in comparison to team, coaching, diet, mentality, experience and training. Any given Sunday as far as that's concerned.

With that said, there is a class of people who are extremely athletically gifted, who don't play pro sports. They become doctors and lawyers. Do you want to spend the prime of your life on a private jet full of Johnny Manziels and get hooked on pain pills? No thanks.

Race in athleticism only matters in that it shows the ignorance of those who believe in it.

Edited by r.harvey

No I think you're wrong. I think that's what this article is trying to say. There is a lot of reverse racism in American sports. Racist people have assumed that black athletes are better. That's why they have been the majority.

BTW European counties almost always win World Cups, and the Pats win Super Bowls. Blacks and Whites have equal athletic ability. It's simply reverse racism.

Where is the racism?

Hockey players are mostly white, mostly white kids play hockey growing up and they play in the most competitive programs.

NFL is mostly black, some of the most competitive middle schools-college are down south in predominately black areas of the country.

Soccer- our blacks and white cant compete against Europe and South America because of course the game isn't played as widely here. Take Americas best black and white athletes and get them to play soccer from the ages of 3 until they are old enough for WC. We would certainly have a chance.

Swimming? Really?? Use your brain what percentage of whites make up swim teams vs. blacks?

Genetics vary on an individual basis, to group together entire races and compare them is sloppy at best.

Edited by Commonsense

Where is the racism?

Hockey players are mostly white, mostly white kids play hockey growing up and they play in the most competitive programs.

NFL is mostly black, some of the most competitive middle schools-college are down south in predominately black areas of the country.

Soccer- our blacks and white cant compete against Europe and South America because of course the game isn't played as widely here. Take Americas best black and white athletes and get them to play soccer from the ages of 3 until they are old enough for WC. We would certainly have a chance.

Swimming? Really?? Use your brain what percentage of whites make up swim teams vs. blacks?

Genetics vary on an individual basis, to group together entire races and compare them is sloppy at best.

When did I group an entire race together? I said blacks and whites have equal athletic ability ability. Some sports are just played by specific demographics. That doesn't mean that every race wouldn't be just as a good. You might want to read the original article. I think it makes a point about football. Football is played by both blacks and whites. Yet one race is disproportionately represented.

When did I group an entire race together? I said blacks and whites have equal athletic ability ability. Some sports are just played by specific demographics. That doesn't mean that every race wouldn't be just as a good. You might want to read the original article. I think it makes a point about football. Football is played by both blacks and whites. Yet one race is disproportionately represented.

Didn't you make a reverse racism comment? What did you mean by that?