Man I Miss Ralph Wilson

valid, valid and valid but looking back if he didn't do things the way that he did the Bills wouldn't be here right now. The magic it took to be profitable in this market with the product on the field profitable is insane. Look at the cities that have lost teams over the last 20 years. With the exception of maybe Cleveland, all have more success on the field and a higher population within traveling distance of the stadium

He deserves a ton of credit. The SB years were so much fun, even though the team didn't win one.

Plus he was a fantastic man with a huge heart, which is more important than football. Nothing wrong with missing him or giving him props. But I feel like the team is in secure hands now, they just need to find someone who knows how to run the organization for them.

Dick Jauron is the most underrated Bills coach in recent memory. He did very well with the Browns D as well after he left here. There was just never $$ to pay a real OC to put with him.

I honestly think Ralph got it right with the Jauron hire, but his mistake was not getting that top-notch OC to pair with him.

Edited by TheFunPolice

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember feeling like Ralph wouldn't or couldn't spend on coaches and scouts, and if he did, had no idea who to hire, and the national media calling us a joke. That and the constant fear the Bills would leave. Good times.

Regardless of what you felt - ^^^^^^^^ THIS WAS THE REALITY ^^^^^^^^^^

Tell me about when it's happened anywhere else ever. The Bills are not the first team who sucked over some period of time and they won't be the last there are more bad teams than good ones at any given time but it's unheard of to dominate the AFC the way we did.

no. they do, however, hold the record for the longest playoff drought. you know your team is bad when you have to dig two decades into the past for something notable.

I mean I respect you're opinion but I personally wasn't a Ralph fan by any means. I respect what he did for the Bill and the city of Buffalo. Definitely not going to s**t on the man's name. I'm happy he was able to keep the team in Buffalo.

Guest NeckBeard

Yes I know we lost a lot under Ralph but we were like an underdog that nobody hated. Every single year it FELT like something good was going to happen even though most of the time it didn't near the end. Ralph seemed to be older and stubborn but he loved Buffalo and the team and you never forgot having seen him in the locker room with JK, Reed, and all the legends giving out hugs and patting guys on the back and smiling like crazy. Say what you want about Ralph but he would have never considered bringing a DB like Rex to coach this team, he never deserved to be here in the first place. Ralph had that old school class that you just have or you don't. That dude is a true legend just as much or more so than all of our hall of famers. People swore he was hoarding money and maybe he was but what did he do with it? Gave away billions right back to the communities where it came from. In this New Era so to speak I don't know what to expect. I'm happy the Bills are still in Buffalo but if we are about to become a big national joke then the team would have been better off gone. I think most know that this is a turning point. The honeymoon is over and Buffalos' Grandad Ralph is watching. Respect what he built let's crush this draft, have a good season and make Ralph proud.

Why is this relevant? So the Bills were the Bucs of years' past? In the short term, I am happy that ownership doesn't hitch its wagons to the same model year after year, but I am on the edge of my seat waiting for some consistent (and solid) organizational structure to take hold.

Yes I know we lost a lot under Ralph but we were like an underdog that nobody hated. Every single year it FELT like something good was going to happen even though most of the time it didn't near the end. Ralph seemed to be older and stubborn but he loved Buffalo and the team and you never forgot having seen him in the locker room with JK, Reed, and all the legends giving out hugs and patting guys on the back and smiling like crazy. Say what you want about Ralph but he would have never considered bringing a DB like Rex to coach this team, he never deserved to be here in the first place. Ralph had that old school class that you just have or you don't. That dude is a true legend just as much or more so than all of our hall of famers. People swore he was hoarding money and maybe he was but what did he do with it? Gave away billions right back to the communities where it came from. In this New Era so to speak I don't know what to expect. I'm happy the Bills are still in Buffalo but if we are about to become a big national joke then the team would have been better off gone. I think most know that this is a turning point. The honeymoon is over and Buffalos' Grandad Ralph is watching. Respect what he built let's crush this draft, have a good season and make Ralph proud.

Ralph being disinterested, or just simply too old, are why we are here: 17 years deep. There were 10 years where it seemed like the FO literally did not care about winning.

He's a legend, but as you've stated yourself, way to !@#$in stubborn for his own good.

There are a lot of reasons to miss Ralph, but the product on the field isn't one of them. He micromanaged like crazy and was always afraid of giving too much power to the football people. The Kelly years are an anomaly; largely the product of personnel decisions made by Bill Polian.

If you want an owner who understands the importance of a team to a community and who isn't afraid to call out the NFL when it puts larger, more profitable markets at a distinct advantage over others, Ralph's the guy. If you want someone who knows how to put the organization in a position to win, he was a disaster.

As a small business owner, I guess partially I'm looking at it from a business standpoint as well which he also made a miracle in that department. As a fan of the team, how could you hate on Ralph? There are no Bills if there is no Ralph period. Without him, your rooting for I guess the Browns right now wishing you had a team. the guy could have gone to like 5 other cities with his team that he bought with his money. Dang right he was protective over it if you took anything that you created from nonexistent to being worth a billion dollars with your own two hands you would be too. Ralph was a fantastic business owner and a visionary. He knew what it took to run this team better than anyone and he did what he had to do. In business, there are always sacrifices that have to be made but you can't say that he didn't expect or want to win. Do you think it's profitable now? I've always been proud to rock the colors even while losing they a huge part of my history and family. I'm afraid that this is all about to be a poop show and I got a bit nostalgic I guess. I've learned to accept a fair share of losing but not ready to see it all fall apart. Probably panicking for nothing

Edited by Madd Charlie

OK dude 11 Hall Of Famers if you count James Lofton and 4 straight Superbowls. Let's see if your new team ever accomplishes anything remotely close

I don't think people see us on the level of the Browns yet but I may be wrong

If you're content with Ralph's 50+ year record, good for you. No I don't think my 'new' team, whatever that means, will lose 4 straight super bowls. The totality of his tenure is poor. Yes, a few bright spots, mids 60's and the Super Bowl run. That's about it.

As a small business owner, I guess partially I'm looking at it from a business standpoint as well which he also made a miracle in that department. As a fan of the team, how could you hate on Ralph? There are no Bills if there is no Ralph guy could have gone to like 5 other cities with his team that he bought with his money. Dang right he was protective over it if you took anything that you created from nonexistant to being worth a billion dollars with your own two hands you would be too. Ralph was a fantastic business owner and a visionary. He knew what it took to run this team better than anyone and he did what he had to do. In business, there are always sacrifices that have to be made but you can't say that he didn't expect or want to win. Do you think its profitable now? No way

This isn't about hating Ralph(i'm not sure 'hate on' is grammatically correct) I can like someone as a person and still find him to be an subpar owner. I started going to games in 1970, I remember the bad times and there were a lot of them. Ralph seemed to be a better person after the super bowl era, but ask anyone around back then and he was pretty much universally disliked in Buffalo. He turned out to be a real nice guy, just didn't have enough on the field success for most of us long time fans.

You obviously do not remember the early 80's. I Forgive but never forget.

If you're referring to the Knox era, getting rid of Knox was Ralph's biggest blunder in his time as owner, in my opinion.

If you're content with Ralph's 50+ year record, good for you. No I don't think my 'new' team, whatever that means, will lose 4 straight super bowls. The totality of his tenure is poor. Yes, a few bright spots, mids 60's and the Super Bowl run. That's about it.

You really don't seem like a fan of the team

This isn't about hating Ralph(i'm not sure 'hate on' is grammatically correct) I can like someone as a person and still find him to be an subpar owner. I started going to games in 1970, I remember the bad times and there were a lot of them. Ralph seemed to be a better person after the super bowl era, but ask anyone around back then and he was pretty much universally disliked in Buffalo. He turned out to be a real nice guy, just didn't have enough on the field success for most of us long time fans.

If you're referring to the Knox era, getting rid of Knox was Ralph's biggest blunder in his time as owner, in my opinion.

it's definitely not