Andy Benoit on Bills and draft

So many draft threads not sure where to put this, but I tend to value Benoit's opinion on where the Bills should go in the draft more than some of the "draft" guys as he studies film of every team, every game, every week.

@andy_benoit

With Tyrod Taylor not being an anticipation passer, #Bills cant run complex route combinations. Theyll have to draft for talent at WR.

#Bills need at least two WRs to join Sammy Watkins. Any style of receiver can do.

Foundation of #Bills offense will remain the run game. Would be wise for them to find a No. 2 TE, allow Clay to be more movable chess piece.

LeSean McCoy turns 29 in July. Still have to consider him in his prime.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many draft threads not sure where to put this, but I tend to value Benoit's opinion on where the Bills should go in the draft more than some of the "draft" guys as he studies film of every team, every game, every week.

@andy_benoit

With Tyrod Taylor not being an anticipation passer, #Bills cant run complex route combinations. Theyll have to draft for talent at WR.

#Bills need at least two WRs to join Sammy Watkins. Any style of receiver can do.

Foundation of #Bills offense will remain the run game. Would be wise for them to find a No. 2 TE, allow Clay to be more movable chess piece.

I like him too. I think he's right about WR, which has me thinking ... Davis: the most talented WR in the draft.

Unless the Bills can convince Tyrod to throw the ball into tight coverage and trust his arm and his WR's, it is going to be a long year of "drop back, 1 sec, 2, sec 3 sec, run out of the pocket, and either take off downfield, throw the ball away, or take a sack".

i believe so, but I think this is how John Ross got in their top 5.

Now I'm backtracking. In Peter King's MMQB column today, he quoted a personnel person saying that there were more medical red flag players at the top than ever this year. Davis is one of them: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/24/corey-davis-says-hes-close-to-100-percent-after-ankle-surgery/ .

Interestingly, the MMQB piece also mentions that Dee Milliner, who was a bust, had five-count-'em-five surgeries before he even joined the NFL. Apparently there's a belief that Alabama beats up its players and they therefore have a tendency to have medical red flags.

Edited by dave mcbride

Unless the Bills can convince Tyrod to throw the ball into tight coverage and trust his arm and his WR's, it is going to be a long year of "drop back, 1 sec, 2, sec 3 sec, run out of the pocket, and either take off downfield, throw the ball away, or take a sack".

That may be but people think Dennison will up the passing attempts! So we're good.

Now I'm backtracking. In Peter King's MMQB column today, he quoted a personnel person saying that there were more medical red flag players at the top than ever this year. Davis is one of them: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/24/corey-davis-says-hes-close-to-100-percent-after-ankle-surgery/ .

Interestingly, the MMQB piece also mentions that Dee Milliner, who was a bust, had five-count-'em-five surgeries before he even joined the NFL. Apparently there's a belief that Alabama beats up its players and they therefore have a tendency to have medical red flags.

those bama boys play a whole lot of games against future NFL talent (including playoff and championship), and all the games count so they arent sitting unless they are dead. id imagine they probably are the most beat up by the end of a couple years. you also have a coach who thinks celebrating a championship means getting back in the weight room the next morning at 7am!

im not saying scrap them from plans, but that commentary about them isnt shocking.

@andy_benoit

I'm all for Davis, Williams, or Howard but if Foster is at 10, how can you pass on him? But if he is not, then one of the aforementioned three prospects would make me happy.

Howard would make our RT better which is the weak link on the O-line. His ability to block and having the willingness to do so. That's hard to pass up but at 10 it's one pick people would feel better with dropping back a few positions and getting some compensation to be considered not a "reach". IT's been noted that it takes a few years for a tight end to find himself within the NFL, the lions are finally starting to see what they have in Eric Ebron.

Davis, as we know is the most NFL ready WR in the draft. Williams, the physical freak with his 50/50 skills which is appealing.

those bama boys play a whole lot of games against future NFL talent (including playoff and championship), and all the games count so they arent sitting unless they are dead. id imagine they probably are the most beat up by the end of a couple years. you also have a coach who thinks celebrating a championship means getting back in the weight room the next morning at 7am!

im not saying scrap them from plans, but that commentary about them isnt shocking.

I just read that Lombardi piece in the other thread (which is awesome, btw), and both Jonathan Allen and Cam Robinson - 2 of his 14 sure starters - have injury issues. OJ Howard (his #1 offensive player) doesn't, however ..

And the defense:

@andy_benoit

McDermotts scheme requires front 7 talent, not great CB. So Gilmore allowed to leave. (Same as Norman leaving McDermotts Panthers last yr)

#Bills only have one true edge-bender in their pass rush: Jerry Hughes. Thats a problem.

Shaq Lawson will have to rely on motor and technique to thrive in NFL. Could he become a nickel DT?

Edited by YoloinOhio

And the defense:

@andy_benoit

McDermotts scheme requires front 7 talent, not great CB. So Gilmore allowed to leave. (Same as Norman leaving McDermotts Panthers last yr)

#Bills only have one true edge-bender in their pass rush: Jerry Hughes. Thats a problem.

Not wrong, Lawson is the guy you want setting the edge but also changes the offensive scheme for the OC since you won't be able to run at him. That's if he has a big leap this upcoming season. I'm excited to see Ragland and Lawson fully healthy this season.

And the defense:

@andy_benoit

but they do have 2 inside rushers which will help a lot. and who knows what shaq will do. our front 4 should still be a strength if utilized properly, even if shaq is just serviceable.

And the defense:

@andy_benoit

I dont think I agree with this

I mean....he needs to show it but Shaq was one of the top edges coming out of last years draft....You are in essence putting a Mario Willams (type) on the field across from Hughes.....a guy that is also a run stopper and can even slip inside on some plays.

This is not counting anything we do in the draft or Lorax

I mean....he needs to show it but Shaq was one of the top edges coming out of last years draft....You are in essence putting a Mario Willams (type) on the field across from Hughes.....a guy that is also a run stopper and can even slip inside on some plays.

:sick:

hes in large part noting that your core competency needs to be an overwhelming strength too. similar to badol discussing the run game.

i think calling it any substantial problem is a bit much, but i also wouldnt be offended if they keep adding pass rushers, and it might be higher on their need list than most fans expect.

i still think if we come out without a rusher its not a big deal compared to some other needs.

And the defense:

@andy_benoit

Benoit is right a lot of the time, but he IS leaving out some things in his Tweets today.

He says the Bills need to add two receivers to Sammy Watkins through the draft. While I agree that they need to draft a receiver, I would argue that either Holmes or Brown will be a fine #3. I don't think drafting two receivers (especially when they have only six picks) is wise.

His opinion on Hughes also leaves out the fact -- as others have mentioned -- that the Bills DO have interior pass rushers on the d-line as well as Shaq Lawson at DE, who was a first round pick just last year and had quite the career at Clemson.

All that being said: Do NOT be surprised (especially if the Bills trade down) if a pass rusher is selected on day one or two of this draft. It's a hidden need that a lot of Bills fans aren't thinking about but which McDermott needs to make his defense thrive.

Benoit is right a lot of the time, but he IS leaving out some things in his Tweets today.

He says the Bills need to add two receivers to Sammy Watkins through the draft. While I agree that they need to draft a receiver, I would argue that either Holmes or Brown will be a fine #3. I don't think drafting two receivers (especially when they have only six picks) is wise.

His opinion on Hughes also leaves out the fact -- as others have mentioned -- that the Bills DO have interior pass rushers on the d-line as well as Shaq Lawson at DE, who was a first round pick just last year and had quite the career at Clemson.

All that being said: Do NOT be surprised (especially if the Bills trade down) if a pass rusher is selected on day one or two of this draft. It's a hidden need that a lot of Bills fans aren't thinking about but which McDermott needs to make his defense thrive.

If we're going to fill needs trading back and taking a Taco Charlton makes sense. That makes more sense than a CB high.