Summer vacation plans you have made?

mead107

I went in May (I think memorial Day weekend?) a few years back. I brought 10L of water, I think they recommended at least 4L/day.

Without looking... I think you can drive to three or four locations on the Outer Mountain Loop (Is that what you're doing?) and stash food/water. Don't forget that some water will be used for making food, too (I'm assuming freeze-dried meals here).

"Rolling the dice" may be inadvisable... going a day without water in potentially 100+ degree weather... Is there potentially a water source at this Boot Spring? Yes, I would call a ranger maybe a week ahead of time and they can help make sure your plan is sane :)

Yeah, I was figuring close to a gallon a day for drinking and cooking, which is about 3-1/2 L. My plan had been to park at Chisos, work my way down toward the South Rim for a couple days (hitting Boot Spring, climbing Emory Peak, etc along the way) and then depending on terrain and what I see from the South Rim, maybe bushwhack my way cross-country down toward that Outer Mountain Loop and then use that to get over into Juniper Canyon which would lead me back North. So no, my plan is probably not sane; but that element of potential tragedy is my favorite part. :D

I really hadn't even considered caching water cuz I always try to avoid any roads/people/etc when I do this stuff; do folks just drop gallon jugs of water at places where a primitive road touches up against that Outer Mountain Loop? Are there some kind of modified bear boxes there to use? Are there issues with jackasses stealing other people's water? Caching is sort of an intriguing idea in that kind of environment.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I was just on a plane right behind a screaming baby and felt much more empathy, knowing what was on the horizon for me. Fortunately, we don't have babies. But it may be worse-- traveling with 2-year old twins who I am sure won't be sitting still.

Two words: Duct Tape. :)

Started a new job recently, so no summer travel this year. I prefer using my vacation time/money going to warm places when it's cold here anyway. Couple of weddings to go to, both are gonna have open bars and single women. Lots of drinking outside my favorite bars. I'll make the best of it.

We had a major flood in the house due to a leak before Christmas and have been spending a lot of $ remodeling the house. Unfortunately there's not much money left for vacations this year. We may do a long weekend at Rehobeth beach and a handful of day trips to Washington zoo and Hershey park.

My son plays a baseball tournament there weekend of the 4th of July. We rented a condo & our staying the week. How is it there. I have been to Ocean City but never have been there before.

Yeah, I was figuring close to a gallon a day for drinking and cooking, which is about 3-1/2 L.

Have you ever set up a humidity trap? It is a way of extracting water out of air at night when temperature drops. We used it for camping. Basically it is a cone of plastic which drips into a can or bucket.

Have you ever set up a humidity trap? It is a way of extracting water out of air at night when temperature drops. We used it for camping. Basically it is a cone of plastic which drips into a can or bucket.

I'm kinda/sorta familiar with the concept, but on a larger scale.

I just can't imagine how to set one up that would draw enough water while using minimal equipment because weight and size are hugely limiting factors while backpacking.

Thanks! I was just on a plane right behind a screaming baby and felt much more empathy, knowing what was on the horizon for me. Fortunately, we don't have babies. But it may be worse-- traveling with 2-year old twins who I am sure won't be sitting still.

Been there....make sure you have a ton of stuff to keep them occupied and charge up those tablets. Hopefully your plane has personal seat TVs.

I just can't imagine how to set one up that would draw enough water while using minimal equipment because weight and size are hugely limiting factors while backpacking.

If you use aluminum collapsible frames you fit a large number of them in small space. The collecting cups are different but you usually have to use cups which can fit in each other ro save space but I have seen the collectors made of 1mm plastic as well. I have heard them referred to as "due traps" but humidity traps are better names for it does not only collect due.

Give it just a little bit more time... Before these hit the market. They are perfecting solar powered water harvesters:

http://www.ibtimes.com/

In time they will have better MOFs:

"...Using a special material produced at the University of California, Berkley (UC Berkley), researchers at MIT created a water harvester that uses only solar power to draw water out of dry air. In experiments, the harvester — the special material used to build it is a metal-organic framework, or MOF — pulled almost three liters of water from air with humidity at 20-30 percent in 12 hours, using one kilogram (2.2 pounds) of MOF. ..."

"The current MOF material being used absorbs up to 20 percent of its weight in water, but other MOF materials could be designed which could absorb twice as much water. It could also be configured to work more effectively under different humidity conditions, Yaghi said."

What are you hiking in a desert?

I have one of these, going on a about 20 years now. Silver filters are expensive, but have huge capacity and can be cleaned:

KatadynPocketFilter.jpg

Time tested well over 60 years, nothing beats a PocketFilter... Except for nasty third world viruses, but that is what iodine is for!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yeah, I was figuring close to a gallon a day for drinking and cooking, which is about 3-1/2 L. My plan had been to park at Chisos, work my way down toward the South Rim for a couple days (hitting Boot Spring, climbing Emory Peak, etc along the way) and then depending on terrain and what I see from the South Rim, maybe bushwhack my way cross-country down toward that Outer Mountain Loop and then use that to get over into Juniper Canyon which would lead me back North. So no, my plan is probably not sane; but that element of potential tragedy is my favorite part. :D

I really hadn't even considered caching water cuz I always try to avoid any roads/people/etc when I do this stuff; do folks just drop gallon jugs of water at places where a primitive road touches up against that Outer Mountain Loop? Are there some kind of modified bear boxes there to use? Are there issues with jackasses stealing other people's water? Caching is sort of an intriguing idea in that kind of environment.

You may have seen this already, but: https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/bc_outermountainloop.htm ... My favorite part:

Please, do not attempt this hike during the summer months. From early May through early October, it may be physically impossible to carry enough water to safely hike this trail.

:flirt: If you go through with it, you will probably want to truly appear like you know what you are doing when you check in with the rangers/whomever, so they don't try to stop you from going.

But, yeah, there are a couple of spots to cache water (food not allowed in cahces, but looks like you're good for that). I wouldn't worry about people stealing other people's water. There is like NO ONE out there. I would plan to not depend on the natural water sources at all.

Hopefully you will have some clear days, and you can clearly see the rolling hills out into Mexico for many miles!

Now, the Guadalupe Mtns. are slightly less desolate. I don't recall the logistics of that trip as much, except parts of the hike were beautiful!

One last thing before I forget: When you hit up Guadalupe Mtns, you should DEFINITELY take a half a day to cross the border into New Mexico and check out Carlsbad Caverns. It is really funny how it just looks like there is nothing there -- just a couple small buildings off the highway in the middle of the desert -- then come to find out that there is an entrance to a massive cave there! It's amazing.

Edited by Cereal

My parents own a condo in Cape Canaveral so we try to get down there a few times a year. My wife and I are going for 9 days at the end of the June, then we're going to surprise my dad down there in early August because he's retiring and doesn't want a big party. Should be a couple fun trips full of drinking, eating, beach, pool, drinking, and eating.

Spend a week at least every summer in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. Will be doing that in July. Also have a nice road trip planned to see some Phish shows. Going to Chicago with my wife for our anniversary to see Hamilton (musical) and the Dead and Company concert the next night, Plan to fly out to Red Rocks in Colorado to see Nathaniel Rateliff, and the rest of the summer spent at Oneida Lake on the weekends...drinking, boating straight east coastin...

God it feels good to be a gangsta

Edited by PaattMaann

Sister Inlaw called and wants us to come down to lewes beach Delaware sometime in may. Long weekend. Fun time. Sister Inlaw loves her water glasses of gin.

Love Lewes! Be sure to go to Striper Bites and get the Striper Bites Club (blackened Mahi with bacon...it its the best club sandwich ive ever had in my life)!!!!

My son plays a baseball tournament there weekend of the 4th of July. We rented a condo & our staying the week. How is it there. I have been to Ocean City but never have been there before.

My favorite place on Earth. Are you staying in the heart of Rehoboth Beach (within five beach blocks) or are you staying outside of town by the outlets and what not? If you are in Rehoboth the best advice is dont drive....parking is a nightmare anywhere close to the beach. If you are staying in town, bring a tote and walk to and from the beach. PM me and I will load you with the best bars/restaurants/activities for whatever your heart desires. I've got 25 years of experience vacationing to LSD (lower slower delaware).

One last thing before I forget: When you hit up Guadalupe Mtns, you should DEFINITELY take a half a day to cross the border into New Mexico and check out Carlsbad Caverns. It is really funny how it just looks like there is nothing there -- just a couple small buildings off the highway in the middle of the desert -- then come to find out that there is an entrance to a massive cave there! It's amazing.

Yeah, I hadn't mentioned it cuz I'm only going to spend one night in each place but the morning I walk out of the Guadalupes I'm heading over to spend the day/night in Carlsbad. Then I'm going to leave Carlsbad in the morning, head up to White Sands and spend a night backcountry in the desert; should be an awesome field of stars to sleep under!

Hawaii in May

USA Shooting National Championship (Fort Benning GA) in June

Freshman move in at Ohio State in August

Give the board a shout when you drop the kiddo off at OSU. Maybe we can have a beer when you are in CBUS.

Did not get to Mt Rushmore last year like I wanted (finances -> divorce). On the radar again this year.

Also, parents are renting a flat in Williamsville for the month of August. May go up for an extended weekend for some hometown eating / drinking.

Yeah, I hadn't mentioned it cuz I'm only going to spend one night in each place but the morning I walk out of the Guadalupes I'm heading over to spend the day/night in Carlsbad. Then I'm going to leave Carlsbad in the morning, head up to White Sands and spend a night backcountry in the desert; should be an awesome field of stars to sleep under!

:thumbsup:

I've always wanted to go out west, so I may take a week off and visit a Denver Broncos board.

Well played.....

Actually that's my vacation. 4 nights with my friends in Denver, where I want to be.

Planning a Montana trip via Denver in 2018.