WR Mike Williams Visited Bills today

I don't think Davis is better after the catch than Watkins but same league. That's his game. I'd put the odds above 50% that he's the pick. I don't see Thomas being on the board and I don't see a trade down partner.

My post-catch comparison for Corey is TO so you might get an idea for how I think of that particular trait.

You add someone like Trent Taylor or Carlos Henderson to the slot, YAC numbers should go up as well. Ultimately, as CB was saying, it's a capped stat given who the QB currently is but you have to keep adding to what you've got.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Davis is better after the catch than Watkins but same league. That's his game. I'd put the odds above 50% that he's the pick. I don't see Thomas being on the board and I don't see a trade down partner.

Again, I like Davis and I'm a fan of the MAC (very underrated football conference) but Davis was a man amongst boys there. It was nothing close to what Sammy faced in college.

Again, I like Davis and I'm a fan of the MAC (very underrated football conference) but Davis was a man amongst boys there. It was nothing close to what Sammy faced in college.

Not disputing the level of competition. All that I am saying is that both were elite prospects after the catch. We just haven't seen Davis do it against the same level of competition. That doesn't mean he can't or won't though.

Not disputing the level of competition. All that I am saying is that both were elite prospects after the catch. We just haven't seen Davis do it against the same level of competition. That doesn't mean he can't or won't though.

Agreed. I just think it a lot different for a physically dominated guy to be great in the MAC than a guy like Anonio Brown who is small.

Well, and part is even if he's the next Gronk, then Williams still just has to be an average #1 to be valued similarly. If Williams (or Davis) is a top 10 WR down the line it's a slam dunk you take them.

So the real test is do you think he's a much better TE than you think the WRs are at their position. If even projecting close to the same level at their respective positions you go WR.

This is the thing though: Howard is basically a big WR. He can play from the slot or split out wide. Plus he's a willing blocker in-line. So he helps the run game to a degree, and provides a mis-match in the pass game based on an ability to line up at multiple spots, his size and speed. Picking him might give the team more bang for the pick. Also, the Bills could shock us and take a WR2 in the second or third even if they picked Howard. There are no guarantees with any of these players, but if the Bills picked Howard I could understand why.

Edited by purple haze

This is the thing though: Howard is basically a big WR. He can play from the slot or split out wide. Plus he's a willing blocker in-line. So he helps the run game to a degree, and provides a mis-match in the pass game based on an ability to line up at multiple spots, his size and speed. Picking him might give the team more bang for the pick. Also, the Bills could shock us and take a WR2 in the second or third even if they picked Howard. There are no guarantees with any of these players, but if the Bills picked Howard I could understand why.

It makes so much Sense that I'm positive the Bills won't do it. We'll draft a wr and have one of the worst passing games still.

They were dead last in 2015. They were 10th in 2014. Is there an elite playmaker I am forgetting about in 2014?

Take a look at Clay's YAC. http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/charles-clay-player-stats He has almost half as less this year than he did 3 years ago in Miami.

Robert woods had 215 YAC in 2014. He has had about 130 the last couple of years.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/robert-woods-player-stats

That is a result of inaccurate passes.

You cannot use Wood as an example. his injuries seriously affected his ability for yac.

Clay is a good example though

This has become my thinking.

Williams at ten does not fit this team right now. Davis perhaps.

You can say they are basically WRs but in most ways in the passing game these guys are still (albeit valuable) slower possession type receivers. Granted, the best of them are comparable to the best of those receivers -- but you take an aj green, Julio, dez, Larry fitz, Obj, brown, etc... over the tight ends every time and that's why GMs pay them a solid 25-50% more at the top end pay scale

If taking a WR top 10 the aim is that type of player, not a Robert woods who is reliably #2 and doesn't change the numbers game for a defense

Edited by NoSaint

They were dead last in 2015. They were 10th in 2014. Is there an elite playmaker I am forgetting about in 2014?

Take a look at Clay's YAC. http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/charles-clay-player-stats He has almost half as less this year than he did 3 years ago in Miami.

Robert woods had 215 YAC in 2014. He has had about 130 the last couple of years.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/robert-woods-player-stats

That is a result of inaccurate passes.

Do you know what a comeback route is?

Do you know what a dig route is?

Do you know what a drag route is?

Watch the wrs routes last year, a ton of them arent designed for rac.

And our QB is not designed for RAC. He doesn't throw bread and butter passing plays like slants.

Cant throw the pass that younwant him to throw if the oc calls something different than the slant, fade, chair, crossing routes you want that get rac.

So 2 offensive coordinators just removed basic plays from the NFL playbook to hold back Tyrod?

Do you think Dennison will also try to hold back Tyrod's greatness?

Considering I played wr through college, I have a decent idea. I also know that no matter how good of a receiver you are, you can't do anything after the ball if the ball is thrown behind you or not thrown with anticipation. For example, crossing routes are the best routes for YAC. Clay was great at those in Miami. These throws are the throws Taylor struggles with the most.

So 2 offensive coordinators just removed basic plays from the NFL playbook to hold back Tyrod?

Do you think Dennison will also try to hold back Tyrod's greatness?

As a guy who defended JP and Edwards and tried to blame the coaches for their struggles, sometimes the OC is saving the qb from themselves.

Tyrod's draft profile fits him to a tee. He was a 57% passer in college. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tyrod-taylor?id=2495240 Russell Wilson completed 73% of his passes his senior year and now has Undrafted Doug Baldwin putting up better stats than Sammy.

But let's keep drafting WRs with top 10 picks.

So Howard was not utilized correctly at Bama. Hence the lack of elite production to go with elite measurements.

We have a QB who can't utilize our expensive TE, so, go draft another because he's big and fast...

Weirdly, we get players in the draft for more than one year.

So Howard was not utilized correctly at Bama. Hence the lack of elite production to go with elite measurements.

We have a QB who can't utilize our expensive TE, so, go draft another because he's big and fast...

I think that the logic for Howard is that he checks a bunch of boxes. He'd be our #2 pass catching option and he is a very good run blocker. He's compared to Greg Olsen as a player. If you have Howard and Clay you can be very creative in scheming mismatches. You can split them out wide, on the line, in the slot and maybe even allow Clay to play some out of the backfield. Defenses will have a difficult time getting the proper personnel on the field (insert Ryan joke here) because they won't know how the Bills will line up.

Considering I played wr through college, I have a decent idea. I also know that no matter how good of a receiver you are, you can't do anything after the ball if the ball is thrown behind you or not thrown with anticipation. For example, crossing routes are the best routes for YAC. Clay was great at those in Miami. These throws are the throws Taylor struggles with the most.

Aren't you pro-Howard? (If I'm mixed up, apologies)

Wouldn't TTs inability to utilize a solid tight end we already have be concerning?

Also, since you've been on the WR comparables--- has there ever been a top paid TE (ours is 6th on the list currently) paired with a top 10 pick (heck, who have been the top 10 picks at tight end the last 15 years-- ebron, Winslow, Davis.... im almost positive im missing someone)