Which non-QB to avoid in the first round?

None of the O linemen.

Agree with that too. I have a bottom of the 1st grade on Lamp (as a guard) and he is the first offensive lineman on my board. That said I think 3 or 4 go in the back half of the 1st, but personally I wouldn't touch them there.

McGahee, Parrish, Maybin, and Spiller come to mind as far as somewhat recent drafts go.

McGahee was 14 years ago which proves my point

Maybin wasn't a cute pick and was 8 years ago

Parrish maybe

Spiller yes

So one maybe and one yes in 20 years or so - yeah that definitely proves we have a history of taking "cute" picks. Care to try again?

Parrish maybe

Spiller yes

So one maybe and one yes in 20 years or so - yeah that definitely proves we have a history of taking "cute" picks. Care to try again?

cute, is a bit of a broad term of course

:beer:

Parrish maybe

Spiller yes

Maybin was NOT a cute pick? I'm thinking the two of you have completely different meanings in mind for the word cute here. Maybin was a classic cute pick, IMHO. So was Whitner. Spiller too.

Watkins the pick, no. But Watkins the trade-up, absolutely yes. We were sure we were much smarter than everyone else and had to trade up for a WR in a year that was a historically terrific WR draft year. Sigh. Manuel. Flowers. Maybe even Lynch though it turned out to be good value. If he hadn't lost interest in all things Buffalo he might have been an all-time bright spot. Maybe not, but he's on the bubble.

McGahee too.

I supported a couple of those picks at the time, but a lot seemed cute. And most of the cute ones didn't work out.

That's a lot for a franchise that hadn't gone cute for more than a decade or so before that.

Edited by Thurman#1

Maybin was NOT a cute pick? I'm thinking the two of you have completely different meanings in mind for the word cute here. Maybin was a classic cute pick, IMHO. So was Whitner. Spiller too.

Watkins the pick, no. But Watkins the trade-up, absolutely yes. We were sure we were much smarter than everyone else and had to trade up for a WR in a year that was a historically terrific WR draft year. Sigh. Manuel. Flowers. Maybe even Lynch though it turned out to be good value. If he hadn't lost interest in all things Buffalo he might have been an all-time bright spot. Maybe not, but he's on the bubble.

McGahee too.

I supported a couple of those picks at the time, but a lot seemed cute. And most of the cute ones didn't work out.

That's a lot for a franchise that hadn't gone cute for more than a decade or so before that.

So I think Maybin was cute and Spiller was cute it was the classic "we have a higher value on these guys than the rest of you because we are going to be able to use them in a way the rest of you simply can't fathom." Whitner was not a cute pick for me... that was just a reach for need. They were taking a safety in the 1st because they had a desperate need.... Huff was the 1st one on their board but went before the picked so rather than looking at "who is next on our board?" they asked "who is the next safety on our board" and took Whitner. That was a need reach not a trying to appear smart reach. I put EJ more in the reach for need category as well rather than "cute".

To me a "cute" pick is where a team is trying to be clever and show they aren't constrained by the orthodoxy. That was Maybin and Spiller for me and I agree you could argue the trade up for Sammy (though not the actual selection).