Prospect Watch: Mitch Trubisky QB, UNC

Trubisky is a guy you move back into the 1st for, if he somehow slides.

This guy will be an NFL starter for a long time. Great kid, level-headed leader, hard worker, insanely accurate, good arm strength, and great mobility. He's got all the tools and intangible, he just needs a little more experience. I'm not saying he's the second coming of Joe Montana, but his floor is Chad Pennington. Right situation and coaching and he could end up alot like Aaron Rodgers. Similar traits (maybe not quite the same gun)

Are you his agent? The guy is another one-year wonder (and not all that wonderful either). Think Mark Sanchez.

Yeah, who needs a guy with laser accuracy, great feet and a strong arm who is disciplined both on and off the field?

The Bills could really use someone like that. Who'd have in mind?

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough. I can't argue with that.

Trubisky has traits you look for in a starting QB. His experience, and lack of game film worry me. The fact that he couldn't beat out a guy who couldn't sniff the NFL worries me considerably.

Overall he's got the look of an NFL QB, but I'm not sure how high his upside is. Maybe he's Matt Ryan, maybe he's Ryan Tannehill, maybe he's Alex Smith, maybe he's Blaine Gabbert.

I agree that it's currently a good situation for him to fall into provided we actually commit to red shirting him for a year. With that said, if he is available 10th overall and so many QB needy teams ahead of him pass him up, I won't have much faith in him being very good because the Bills never prove to be the "smartest guys in the room" on draft day.

I think it's far fetched to believe that some great QB prospect is just going to fall into our laps with the 10th overall pick.

I can't believe Cam couldn't beat out Tebow. He only started 1 year in college. No way he can be good.

Does anyone think Trubiniski's Polish name moves him up the charts a bit in the eyes of Buffalo fans?

Posluszny certainly did. Despite his beautiful hair, he was just ok.

Believe he's of Russian Jewish descent.

I'm even critical of Darnold and yet some posters want us to lose out to get him. So difficult to determine how a college QB will translate into the NFL game. Glad I'm not Whaley.

I'd be interested to hear your critique of Darnold.

I'd be interested to hear your critique of Darnold.

In general the year before said QB comes out and is marked as a can't miss prospect, they falter the following year and lose the head of steam they had before entering the draft.

Okay. There's some truth to this idea. Do you have any critiques specific to Darnold?

I don't want Trubisky in the 3rd round, never mind the 1st. He has had about 3 decent games in his career

...three top names around here are Trubisky, Watson and Mahomes.....principal knocks are:

1. Trubisky- one year starter; lacks experience

2. Watson-despite strong combine and pro day showings, ball velocity is cited as an issue.

3. Mahones-cited as an Air Raid QB which pundits say don't succeed in NFL; also mechanics especially footwork are suspect.

....so looks like all three have issues.....so who do you pick and where (if any)?..................

...three top names around here are Trubisky, Watson and Mahomes.....principal knocks are:

1. Trubisky- one year starter; lacks experience

2. Watson-despite strong combine and pro day showings, ball velocity is cited as an issue.

3. Mahones-cited as an Air Raid QB which pundits say don't succeed in NFL; also mechanics especially footwork are suspect.

....so looks like all three have issues.....so who do you pick and where (if any)?..................

The Air Raid offense is a spread offense comparable to the one Derek Carr ran at Fresno State. NFL teams expecting pro style QBs will never get a QB if they eliminate spread QBs like Mariota, Cam Newton, Derek Carr, and Dak Prescott.

I don't want Trubisky in the 3rd round, never mind the 1st. He has had about 3 decent games in his career

Were those the back to back to back 400 yard games without an int or different ones ?

If you can't beat out Marquise Williams, you can't be considered a good QB prospect. It's as simple as that.

Ahh yes bench the older player who had 74 Td's as a junior and senior. Trubisky could have had 75 Td's !

Were those the back to back to back 400 yard games without an int or different ones ?

Ahh yes bench the older player who had 74 Td's as a junior and senior. Trubisky could have had 75 Td's !

The CoT will attack all possible competition to their hero.

The Air Raid offense is a spread offense comparable to the one Derek Carr ran at Fresno State. NFL teams expecting pro style QBs will never get a QB if they eliminate spread QBs like Mariota, Cam Newton, Derek Carr, and Dak Prescott.

....EXACTLY......don't understand the "fear factor"....Mariota is transitioning as are the others.....Luck was probably the last prototypical NFL pocket passer type to come out recently.....no longer the collegiate style....they do what sells tix and leads to megabucks bowl games versus serving as NFL Minor League.....

....EXACTLY......don't understand the "fear factor"....Mariota is transitioning as are the others.....Luck was probably the last prototypical NFL pocket passer type to come out recently.....no longer the collegiate style....they do what sells tix and leads to megabucks bowl games versus serving as NFL Minor League.....

Bills fans are the guy that had a bad relationship (EJ Manuel) and decide to stop dating or meeting the opposite sex.

Bills fans are the guy that had a bad relationship (EJ Manuel) and decide to stop dating or meeting the opposite sex.

..if you list ALL of the QB's Bills fans have had a BAD relationship with, you'll need carpal tunnel surgery tomorrow morning.......redefines ugly...........

Cam Newton sat behind Tim Tebow for a year at Florida. Tebow was one of the greatest college QBs ever and a future 1st round pick.

Tom Brady started two years at Michigan. He sat behind Brian Griese who was a future 3rd round pick.

Russell Wilson transferred because he'd already graduated. NC State recruited Mike Glennon (former 5 star recruit) and Wilson opted to go to Wisconsin who were fresh off a Rose Bowl birth.

None of these situations are really comparable to Mitch Trubisky sitting behind a future UDFA.

Not arguing that Trubisky is a top-10 pick, but Brady never could definitively beat out a guy who ultimately bounced between triple-A and playing 3B for the Yankees (Drew Henson). You never really know, but I do agree that Trubisky is a risky pick.

Now, that is a faulty analogy. How about, failed relationship with EJ and are avoiding similar risk with a QB class like 2013s?

Edited by OldTimer1960

Not arguing that Trubisky is a top-10 pick, but Brady never could definitively beat out a guy who ultimately bounced between triple-A and playing 3B for the Yankees (Drew Henson). You never really know, but I do agree that Trubisky is a risky pick.

Now, that is a faulty analogy. How about, failed relationship with EJ and are avoiding similar risk with a QB class like 2013s?

It's not 2013. 2013 had no QBs with first round talent. 2017 has at least 2, maybe 3 1st round guys.

i've recently seen a couple of mocks...br comes to mind that has trubisky there at # 10. if you're the gm , what do you do?

imo he'd be the only qb i would use a first round pick on....but...

it would be awfully tempting to me to trade down and try to pick up some extra picks, so here's a scenario that i would look at.

trade #10 to cleveland for no. #12...for one of their seconds and a 4th. forgive me for not following the value chart, but i could see the browns drooling here.

trade #12 to the redskins for #17...for a 3rd,4th and 7th. they need quality receivers in the worst way and they have the picks to spare.

with #17 i'm taking a tackle and i like bolles from utah. i know it may be high and he's 25, but i can see a run on olineman from the giants on down through the rest of the 1st. this kid gives us a day one upgrade. he could be our big nasty incognito on the right side.

of course at #17, i wouldn't take the phone off the hook in case jerry jones is in love with say a ross...or maybe peppers is still there. they don't have extra picks though, but here i would settle for a high 2018 pick.

so at #17, that would be bolles...an extra 2nd, 3rd,4th and 7th. we could really do well in this draft.

i don't have a mock,but with 2 2nds and 2 3rds we should be able to get zay jones, a cb, a safety and maybe that dl from vandy.

with the cleveland 4th round pick, i take chad kelly and make sure he comes to buffalo.

i would use the rest for mainly line depth. i do like marcus maye the fs from florida.

the draft can't get here soon enough, im stoked.

if we did pick trubisky at #10, i'd be happy with that, but would hope they could move down in the 2nd and at least grab one or 2 more picks.

lastly, does anyone know how to retrieve avatars from the old board? i also apologize for the lack of caps button talent. :rolleyes:

Edited by billsredneck1