Come move to New York!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of government influence that makes it easier and easier to get loans. Kids can get more and more money to pay for college, so colleges charge more. But hey, let's make it easier still.

And the government now forgives your loan after 20 years if you qualify. What they often forget to mention is that yes the loan balance goes away however it hits your tax return as taxable income. Oh and if you work for the government they'll forgive it in 10 years! :thumbsup:

...I'm sorry you never went to college

Don't be sorry. I'm a big boy. And it gave me a jump start on making money instead of wasting it. Remember fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life.

It won't be long before people with Bachelors degree are working fast food. There are professions where college degrees are completely necessary. The rest have simply created arbitrary job requirements for no reason other than the fact they can. When millions of jobless young people are on the streets with bachelors degrees, employers are afforded this luxury.

I believe that a return to the traditional meaning of college would greatly benefit our country. College should be a place for the academically talented. It shouldn't be a place for everyone. While we push liberal arts degrees we ignore the shortage of trade workers. We are no longer an industrial nation, but there is no lack of need for skilled trade workers. Sadly academia looks down on these careers. As a high school student I recall being immediately discouraged from pursuing a career in trucking. I was essentially told that going through life with no education is no way live. This attitude does nothing to benefit or society or to build a strong diverse economy. I am not against education. I just believe that it is time to rethink what we hope to get out of it as a society.

met a girl from RIT working as a hostess a few weeks ago. Mid twenties

I got the horns? No I got either a drunk or a psychopath. I assume you're sober now. You may not be a bleeding heart liberal but your skin is as thin as one.

Me squirm? :w00t:

Anyway my opinion is that college should not be "free" for anyone. There are plenty of ways to pay for it and it should be the responsibility of the family to figure it out not the government's responsibility to figure another way to tax me to pay for your kids. Now Johnny boy when I say your kids I'm referring to kids in general not specifically your kids. Just as I mean parents in general shouldn't have kids if they can't afford to educate them not your parents specifically. The issue with college currently is not how to pay for it. As I mentioned there are plenty ways to fund your children's college. The issue is the run away costs of college. Universities have become major for profit businesses but for some reason I'm on the hook for their massive pension obligations. And now you want me to pay for junior's college? Sorry, that doesn't fly with me.

No, I don't drink and I'm quite mentally stable, thanks. I am over it now. Happy birthday, jackass.

Get over yourself, man. You're in my house now.

Welcome to thunderdome? Bring it...

No, I don't drink and I'm quite mentally stable, thanks. I am over it now. Happy birthday, jackass.

So the medication kicked in? :nana:

And jackass I can live with. The other names? Not so much. Awww who am I kidding. Nothing really bothers me. Especially is the cesspool known as PPP.

Edited by Chef Jim

So the medication kicked in? :nana:

And jackass I can live with. The other names? Not so much. Awww who am I kidding. Nothing really bothers me. Especially is the cesspool known as PPP.

Haha...yeah, sorry about the ugly name calling. No meds for me. I normally am a very docile person. You just really pissed me off with your initial reply to my post, and caught me at a bad time I guess. I've been floating around here a long time, and I can't ever recall going after another poster so rabidly.

Maybe next time I'll just catch a flight out to Oakland and rearrange your teeth for you?

Just kidding of course ;)

Cheers, Jim.

Haha...yeah, sorry about the ugly name calling. No meds for me. I normally am a very docile person. You just really pissed me off with your initial reply to my post, and caught me at a bad time I guess. I've been floating around here a long time, and I can't ever recall going after another poster so rabidly.

Maybe next time I'll just catch a flight out to Oakland and rearrange your teeth for you?

Cheers, Jim.

book united. that's jim's only chance if they soften you up first. jim is old af, back issues, impotency issues and there is that whole living in san francisco softening him up part.

The Cuomo College Fiasco
New York Times ^ | April 14, 2017 | By David Brooks

The award for the worst public policy idea of the year goes to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

Cuomo presides over a state with a rich diversity of educational institutions. But he also presides over a state, like all states, where many students don’t complete college and where many are unprepared for the information economy. For example, fewer than half of the African-American and Hispanic students in New York public colleges graduate within six years.

Cuomo could have done many things to improve New York’s higher ed system. He could have poured all available money into the Tuition Assistance Program, which is directed at poorer students. He could have spent more to help students become academically ready for college, which is the biggest barrier to graduation. He could have done more to help students pay room and board expenses. He could have massively improved overstretched mental health services. He could have massively improved career counseling.

But in 2016 Bernie Sanders made a big splash on the campaign trail with a plan to make college “free.” So Cuomo proposed and on Wednesday signed legislation to make tuition free at New York public colleges for anybody coming from a family making no more than $100,000 a year, with the cap rising to $125,000 in 2019. . .

(Excerpt) Read more at nytimes.com ...

Geez............if David Brooks thinks it's too liberal............ :lol:

The Cuomo College Fiasco

New York Times ^ | April 14, 2017 | By David Brooks

The award for the worst public policy idea of the year goes to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

Cuomo presides over a state with a rich diversity of educational institutions. But he also presides over a state, like all states, where many students dont complete college and where many are unprepared for the information economy. For example, fewer than half of the African-American and Hispanic students in New York public colleges graduate within six years.

Cuomo could have done many things to improve New Yorks higher ed system. He could have poured all available money into the Tuition Assistance Program, which is directed at poorer students. He could have spent more to help students become academically ready for college, which is the biggest barrier to graduation. He could have done more to help students pay room and board expenses. He could have massively improved overstretched mental health services. He could have massively improved career counseling.

But in 2016 Bernie Sanders made a big splash on the campaign trail with a plan to make college free. So Cuomo proposed and on Wednesday signed legislation to make tuition free at New York public colleges for anybody coming from a family making no more than $100,000 a year, with the cap rising to $125,000 in 2019. . .

(Excerpt) Read more at nytimes.com ...

Geez............if David Brooks thinks it's too liberal............ :lol:

Thanks for the link. It was a good read. The problem I have with politics now days is the liberal conservative divide. People tend to align themselves with a specific side, and they form options based solely on that. Liberals are going to say they love the free plan. Conservatives are going to say they hate it. Many of these people will reach these conclusions before knowing any details of the plan.

Politically speaking I just want what's best. Often this places me at odds with both sides. I have looked at the tuition plan with an open mind. The more I learn about it the more I know that it's a deeply flawed plan with potentially disastrous consequences. I'm not necessarily against the idea. I'm against the way Cuomo's plan is going to work. I have a lot of problems with it. This article confirmed my thoughts.

Cheers, Jim.

!@#$ off!! :thumbdown:

:D:bag::nana:

Typical Clinton behavior........

We set out to do this nationally, but thrilled that New York is getting it done. Let's hope it's the first of many. Text College to 81336. https://twitter.com/nygovcuomo/status/852189838753374208

Via Biz Pac Review:

Either Hillary Clinton has a selective memory or she is hoping Americans do.

The former Democratic presidential nominee gave herself a pat on the back for being part of the so-calle “free” college tuition effort, effectively taking credit for the work of Sen. Bernie Sanders.

Typical Clinton behavior........

Via Biz Pac Review:

Either Hillary Clinton has a selective memory or she is hoping Americans do.

The former Democratic presidential nominee gave herself a pat on the back for being part of the so-calle “free” college tuition effort, effectively taking credit for the work of Sen. Bernie Sanders.

My reply tweet:

This is why you lost the election. Not mysogyny. Not racism. Not Russia. But because you're a lying two-bit opportunistic hack.

College has gotten more and more expensive since student loans have been so freely given out. As it is now, it's too easy for an 18 year old to go to college and kids who have no reason or no real ability to utilize an education end up with real debt and no way to repay it. They would be far better off serving an apprenticeship and learning a trade. With free tuition, even more delusional kids will attend college and still find a way to put themselves into debt for their living expenses. NYS taxpayers will be footing the bill for this foolishness.

But you only care for humans who get vs the humans who give? Nothing's free my friend.

If you can't afford to educate your own children may I suggest you seriously consider whether or not you should have any. Maybe you should have moped floors for 4 years PRIOR to getting your degree.

Phenomenal post in every way.

College has gotten more and more expensive since student loans have been so freely given out. As it is now, it's too easy for an 18 year old to go to college and kids who have no reason or no real ability to utilize an education end up with real debt and no way to repay it. They would be far better off serving an apprenticeship and learning a trade. With free tuition, even more delusional kids will attend college and still find a way to put themselves into debt for their living expenses. NYS taxpayers will be footing the bill for this foolishness.

What? They should all be plumbers and electrians?