Come move to New York!

I'd rather erode the bull **** standard that college education is anything more that high school plus, and stop having people have to get worthless degrees to get jobs that can be done with high school diploma, or learned on the job.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Free 4 year college. As a couple, make a little too much? Just get divorced!

https://news.google.com/news/amp?caurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmpproject.org%2Fc%2Fwww.nbcnews.com%2Fnews%2Feducation%2Famp%2Fnew-york-becomes-first-state-offer-free-four-year-college-n744561#pt0-755861

Just reading more... Gotta stay in state after... LMAO, yeah that will help! :-/

When did it become mandatory that parents pay college tuition?

I'd rather erode the bull **** standard that college education is anything more that high school plus, and stop having people have to get worthless degrees to get jobs that can be done with high school diploma, or learned on the job.

It won't be long before people with Bachelors degree are working fast food. There are professions where college degrees are completely necessary. The rest have simply created arbitrary job requirements for no reason other than the fact they can. When millions of jobless young people are on the streets with bachelors degrees, employers are afforded this luxury.

I believe that a return to the traditional meaning of college would greatly benefit our country. College should be a place for the academically talented. It shouldn't be a place for everyone. While we push liberal arts degrees we ignore the shortage of trade workers. We are no longer an industrial nation, but there is no lack of need for skilled trade workers. Sadly academia looks down on these careers. As a high school student I recall being immediately discouraged from pursuing a career in trucking. I was essentially told that going through life with no education is no way live. This attitude does nothing to benefit or society or to build a strong diverse economy. I am not against education. I just believe that it is time to rethink what we hope to get out of it as a society.

It won't be long before people with Bachelors degree are working fast food. There are professions where college degrees are completely necessary. The rest have simply created arbitrary job requirements for no reason other than the fact they can. When millions of jobless young people are on the streets with bachelors degrees, employers are afforded this luxury.

I believe that a return to the traditional meaning of college would greatly benefit our country. College should be a place for the academically talented. It shouldn't be a place for everyone. While we push liberal arts degrees we ignore the shortage of trade workers. We are no longer an industrial nation, but there is no lack of need for skilled trade workers. Sadly academia looks down on these careers. As a high school student I recall being immediately discouraged from pursuing a career in trucking. I was essentially told that going through life with no education is no way live. This attitude does nothing to benefit or society or to build a strong diverse economy. I am not against education. I just believe that it is time to rethink what we hope to get out of it as a society.

It's really nothing more than supply and demand. When there is scarcity, a degree is worth something. When there is no scarcity, a degree is worth nothing, and can simply then be used as a tool for red lining by employers.

Nobody is discussing that this state handout further entrenches the bad spending habits in academia. College costs are increasing at the same rates as healthcare, but without the demographic trends that drive healthcare increases. Giving out more free money to the state system will not solve the runaway costs.

This.

Haha...you make a good point. I'm not looking for an apology as much as I'm looking for Mr. Toolbox to squirm a little bit. After all, this thread began as a benign discussion about free college education in NYS on OTW. Mr. Turd face had to take it to a personal level in order to feed his own ego. You f$&k with the bull, you get the horns.

I got the horns? No I got either a drunk or a psychopath. I assume you're sober now. You may not be a bleeding heart liberal but your skin is as thin as one.

Me squirm? :w00t:

Anyway my opinion is that college should not be "free" for anyone. There are plenty of ways to pay for it and it should be the responsibility of the family to figure it out not the government's responsibility to figure another way to tax me to pay for your kids. Now Johnny boy when I say your kids I'm referring to kids in general not specifically your kids. Just as I mean parents in general shouldn't have kids if they can't afford to educate them not your parents specifically. The issue with college currently is not how to pay for it. As I mentioned there are plenty ways to fund your children's college. The issue is the run away costs of college. Universities have become major for profit businesses but for some reason I'm on the hook for their massive pension obligations. And now you want me to pay for junior's college? Sorry, that doesn't fly with me.

Edited by Chef Jim

I got the horns? No I got either a drunk or a psychopath. I assume you're sober now. You may not be a bleeding heart liberal but your skin is as thin as one.

Anyway my opinion is that college should not be "free" for anyone. There are plenty of ways to pay for it and it should be the responsibility of the family to figure it out not the government's responsibility to figure another way to tax me to pay for your kids. Now Johnny boy when I say your kids I'm referring to kids in general not specifically your kids. Just as I mean parents in general shouldn't have kids if they can't afford to educate them not your parents specifically. The issue with college currently is not how to pay for it. As I mentioned there are plenty ways to fund your children's college. The issue is the run away costs of college. Universities have become major for profit businesses but for some reason I'm on the hook for their massive pension obligations. And now you want me to pay for junior's college? Sorry, that doesn't fly with me.

I'm sorry you never went to college

Because of government influence that makes it easier and easier to get loans. Kids can get more and more money to pay for college, so colleges charge more. But hey, let's make it easier still.