Come move to New York!

Free 4 year college. As a couple, make a little too much? Just get divorced!

https://news.google.com/news/amp?caurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmpproject.org%2Fc%2Fwww.nbcnews.com%2Fnews%2Feducation%2Famp%2Fnew-york-becomes-first-state-offer-free-four-year-college-n744561#pt0-755861

Just reading more... Gotta stay in state after... LMAO, yeah that will help! :-/

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fine print?

"Eligible students will pay nothing for tuition, which averages about $6,470 annually at four-year institutions and about $4,530 at two-year colleges. However, students will still have to pay for room and board if they live on campus, which can add up to an extra $14,000 a year, CNN notes."

"Per the initiative, students who do get the scholarship must live and work in New York after graduation for the same number of years for which they receive funding. Those who do choose to leave the state will have the scholarship converted into a loan."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.theroot.com/new-york-becomes-1st-state-to-approve-free-tuition-at-2-1794169155/amp

$14k can be a bit to low... With meals/food?

I don't understand your post. Are you in favor of, or opposed to, a free college education at New York's state universities and junior colleges?

Then my job was well done. What's the point of knowing?

Of course I am for.

It is what many across the country are offering now to well academically qualified students. My son goes to Iowa, tuition is on academic scholarship... Room & board is what adds up.

Good thing New York is making it available to more... But what happens if a couple makes (slightly) more and want to game the system... Will they split up so their income is lower? What message does that send?

Does this chase double income marriages apart?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The fine print?

"Eligible students will pay nothing for tuition, which averages about $6,470 annually at four-year institutions and about $4,530 at two-year colleges. However, students will still have to pay for room and board if they live on campus, which can add up to an extra $14,000 a year, CNN notes."

"Per the initiative, students who do get the scholarship must live and work in New York after graduation for the same number of years for which they receive funding. Those who do choose to leave the state will have the scholarship converted into a loan."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.theroot.com/new-york-becomes-1st-state-to-approve-free-tuition-at-2-1794169155/amp

$14k can be a bit to low... With meals/food?

Then my job was well done. What's the point of knowing?

Of course I am for.

It is what many across the country are offering now to well academically qualified students. My son goes to Iowa, tuition is on academic scholarship... Room & board is what adds up.

Good thing New York is making it available to more... But what happens if a couple makes (slightly) more and want to game the system... Will they split up so their income is lower? What message does that send?

Does this chase double income marriages apart?

Living on campus? $14k sounds in the ballpark.

Wonder how Cuomo's going to pay for this. Probably do a Pataki and !@#$ over grad students while everyone's patting him on the back for "making college affordable."

Living on campus? $14k sounds in the ballpark.

Wonder how Cuomo's going to pay for this. Probably do a Pataki and !@#$ over grad students while everyone's patting him on the back for "making college affordable."

Room/board, full meal plan in Iowa City is almost $10k a SEMESTER. For a crappy dorm and Old Country Buffet meals... LoL... Must be the Big10. Glad he is living in off campus housing next year... Should save a lot. Just gotta get on the Ramen Meal food plan... :-) Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Free 4 year college. As a couple, make a little too much? Just get divorced!

https://news.google.com/news/amp?caurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmpproject.org%2Fc%2Fwww.nbcnews.com%2Fnews%2Feducation%2Famp%2Fnew-york-becomes-first-state-offer-free-four-year-college-n744561#pt0-755861

Just reading more... Gotta stay in state after... LMAO, yeah that will help! :-/

The fine prints fails to tell you only 1 in 20 can get a job in NY.

I am kinda leaning in this direction.

What about the wife and husband each making $65k each. That's just over the future $125k limit.

what about the divorced father raising his child where the mother makes enough to not qualify for their son turned daughter who is seeking a Pell grant because sexist educational systems?

What about those who cannot afford to pay back the tuition after dropping out after a yr only to realize they're idiots who cannot make more than $11/hr assembling Sputniks?

Hey, it's a step in the right direction. Coming from someone who paid their own way through college and earned a doctoral degree (Psy.D.), my student loan payment is well more than my mortgage every month. I would have mopped floors at Wegmans for 4 years after my post-grad graduation if it meant that I could cut that debt in half. My wife and I make too much money, so IF we lived in NY, my kids would likely not benefit from this. I still would support this, however, as I care about other humans.

Hey, it's a step in the right direction. Coming from someone who paid their own way through college and earned a doctoral degree (Psy.D.), my student loan payment is well more than my mortgage every month. I would have mopped floors at Wegmans for 4 years after my post-grad graduation if it meant that I could cut that debt in half. My wife and I make too much money, so IF we lived in NY, my kids would likely not benefit from this. I still would support this, however, as I care about other humans.

Good post.

Same here, make too much too. I would want to help others even if it means hurting me, but don't bury me. I agree with what you say, but concerned with the unintended consequences. It is something. Like Boyst said, it is a shell game though. Especially if people find a way not to turn their labor and time into paying back.

But you only care for humans who get vs the humans who give? Nothing's free my friend.

If you can't afford to educate your own children may I suggest you seriously consider whether or not you should have any. Maybe you should have moped floors for 4 years PRIOR to getting your degree.

Since you and your wife make too much money, I'll be glad to take whatever amounts you don't need. :)

Since you care about other humans. -_-

I have one basic complaint about this issue. If college is going to be tuition free it needs to be tuition free for everyone, regardless of income. This would be a system that is no different than public K-12 school. Instead we created another system that breeds class warfare and resentment.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I care about other humans as well (not as much as puppies and stuff(, but I don't support this.

Just because someone is 100% against this does not make them anti human or insensitive or a bad person. Today's partisanship with politics and over sensitivity toward all sorts of things quickly brandishes that person against a humanitarian cause a bad person. Its crap.

I have one basic complaint about this issue. If college is going to be tuition free it needs to be tuition free for everyone, regardless of income. This would be a system that is no different than public K-12 school. Instead we created another system that breeds class warfare and resentment.

and what's odd is I am sure there is empirical evidence that shows those whom come from a stable family with a mother and father are more likely to succeed whilst also having a much higher income than that of a single family home - that being the case, this creates another layer in the division of our socio economic culture which already sees large populations of groups having children out of wedlock

But you only care for humans who get vs the humans who give? Nothing's free my friend.

If you can't afford to educate your own children may I suggest you seriously consider whether or not you should have any. Maybe you should have moped floors for 4 years PRIOR to getting your degree.

Thanks for the advice, but I don't need any advice. I care about all humans, bub. It's convenient for you to falsely assume that I'm some sort of bleeding heart liberal. I never said that this whole thing was perfect. I said it's a step in the right direction. I think if they are to do this it should be available to all individuals regardless of SES. I also think that there should be reasonable admission requirements for this. Not everyone is meant to go to college.

And by the way, I worked almost full-time during high school, and I was a 3 sport athlete. I started delivering newspapers when I was 12, and got my first job washing dishes on my 14th birthday. Neither of my parents went to college. Blue collar, hard working type folks that didn't understand the importance of saving for their child's education. I also worked nearly full-time during college to pay for as much of my tuition as possible. I worked my a$$ of...never had anything handed to me.

Since you and your wife make too much money, I'll be glad to take whatever amounts you don't need. :)

Since you care about other humans. -_-

I never claimed to be holier than thou, or wealthy by any means. My wife and I both make a decent salary. We live very modestly, and we save as much money as we can. Hell, I still drive a beat up 2009 Subaru.

I'd be happy to buy you a beer or two if we ever meet though :beer:

I care about other humans as well (not as much as puppies and stuff(, but I don't support this.

Just because someone is 100% against this does not make them anti human or insensitive or a bad person. Today's partisanship with politics and over sensitivity toward all sorts of things quickly brandishes that person against a humanitarian cause a bad person. Its crap.

and what's odd is I am sure there is empirical evidence that shows those whom come from a stable family with a mother and father are more likely to succeed whilst also having a much higher income than that of a single family home - that being the case, this creates another layer in the division of our socio economic culture which already sees large populations of groups having children out of wedlock

I never even intimated that you were "anti-human" or anything of the sort. I merely stated that "I care about humans" because I am willing to pay a little more in taxes to support programs like this. I never stated that you don't care about people, and quite honestly, I don't know you well enough to be able to make any assumptions about your values and beliefs. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and as I have stated, there are parts of this that I do not agree with....just like you. A step in the right direction, Boyst.