UB to cut four sports (Soccer/swimming/diving/rowing)

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/03/ub-will-drop-four-sports-teams-athletics-budget-cutback/

Let's face it - they are a D-III school losing tons of money trying to justify a D-I existence.

I thought the vast majority of D-1 football schools would gladly dump the football program in an instant for the $$$-pit and destruction to the environment of a school of learning it brings.

Title 9 is a B word for non-revenue producing men's sports. Hate to see the men's swimming program go, but it's gone at lots of schools with much richer swimming history than UB.

title x is a disgrace. It cost me running track at UT and eventually the entire program.

This is not unique to UB but it stinks. Anyway, UB should rethink it's entire athletic mission. They would be very competitive, quickly, in M/W hockey and M/W Lacrosse. Just not sure how they could pull that off and continue to field FBS football and D-1 Hoops.

Yes, title IX sucks. I understand the premise of it... but more times than not (most times) all it does is restrict opportunity.

UB Baseball was kind of a joke. I play on their field sometimes in the Summer and it is a disgrace. Our DIII field was 50x better than that. The coach treated it like his baby, and players' responsibilities included routine grounds maintenance. Not sure if UB would ever be competitive in the MAC. They are at a huge recruiting disadvantage

This is not unique to UB but it stinks. Anyway, UB should rethink it's entire athletic mission. They would be very competitive, quickly, in M/W hockey and M/W Lacrosse. Just not sure how they could pull that off and continue to field FBS football and D-1 Hoops.

Richmond started D1 Men LAX program exactly 4 years ago, Ranked #11 this year till they lost to UVA on Saturday, and drew over 5K to the game. So it can happen quick. Program was started with a $2M donation, but they had to bag men's soccer to be in compliance with Title 9.

Look at Penn State in hockey..man what they accomplished in such a short period of time.

College sports is a racket... Everybody wants a free ride, nobody wants to pay. Just look @ Kahlil Mack wanting a free ride for his bro to transfer from a community college in Florida. The whole business stinks. Title IX definitely not helping. Nobody wants to pay? Gee honey, play softball or swim, you will get a scholarship. How about promoting academic achievement over sports. University of Chicago, top of the football world @ the time, had the right answer in 1939. It would be like Penn State or Alabama deep sixing their football programs today.

What a joke it is. Liberalism running off the rails.

Yes, title IX sucks. I understand the premise of it... but more times than not (most times) all it does is restrict opportunity.

UB Baseball was kind of a joke. I play on their field sometimes in the Summer and it is a disgrace. Our DIII field was 50x better than that. The coach treated it like his baby, and players' responsibilities included routine grounds maintenance. Not sure if UB would ever be competitive in the MAC. They are at a huge recruiting disadvantage

While UB's baseball facilities may not be top notch

They do put out some good prospects

My buddy could've played anywhere in the country but stayed home at UB and was drafted in the top 15 rounds last year

He will probably be pitching in the big league's one day

One that nobody watches except for those getting paid to be there, the players parents and their baby mommas.

On the D-1 collegiate level, that would be pretty much every sport except for football and basketball, and there are plenty of D-1 colleges whose football programs are "useless".

From the D-2 level down, that would be every sport, including football and basketball.

On the D-1 collegiate level, that would be pretty much every sport except for football and basketball, and there are plenty of D-1 colleges whose football programs are "useless".

From the D-2 level down, that would be every sport, including football and basketball.

There could be the argument made that a University is an academic institution, that sports is not helping matters at all. When snowflakes take over 95% of the campus they might get football banned at a football factory.

There could be the argument made that a University is an academic institution, that sports is not helping matters at all.

So you would be fine with no collegiate sports?

What system?

Higher education, how and who funds it though tuition, etc...

Too many people on free and lesser tuition athletic rides causing strain on and making affording higher education out of reach for the one's tasked with the burden of carrying the load (ie: full paying students). BS, non-revenue generating sport's scholarship are surely a drain.

Push academics over athletics (see University of Chicago, circa 1939) and maybe our "affording higher education" problem starts to abate.

Just my 2 cents. Start pushing sound academic values over the shiny sports programs that the masses just love to eat up. The huge higher education institutions just hoard that cash anyway.

So you would be fine with no collegiate sports?

Maybe if times warrant it. But generally, no, I wouldn't be fine. There is a place for athletics. Just not the huge abortion, racket it has become.