patriot bride question for me or all

nuklz2594

This times 1000...just because people say "hot dog" or "hamburger" doesn't mean they are not sandwiches...now, if people want to be overly picky, I googled the definition of sandwich and it read: meat, cheese or veggies between TWO pieces of bread...therefore, one could argue that unless the bun is separated on a hotdog, it is not technically a sandwich- but to me this is just "splitting hairs" because most of the bun is separated, and some actually break anyway...however, the hamburger is most certainly a sandwich.

So, are you suggesting that if I chop a hotdog up or toss some hamburger into my mac and cheese that I have a sandwich? As was mentioned up thread by 28...fandom, it depends on the manner in which you eat them. A hotdog or hamburger in and of itself is not a sandwich.

Edited by transient

So, are you suggesting that if I chop a hotdog up or toss some hamburger into my mac and cheese that I have a sandwich? As was mentioned up thread by 28...fandom, it depends on the manner in which you eat them. A hotdog or hamburger in and of itself is not a sandwich.

Right that a hotdog without a bun is just a hot dog. Put it in a bun and *bam* you have made a sandwich.

A "burger" without a bun is a meat patty, and isn't a burger until it's on bread; therefore a burger is always a sandwich.

Right that a hotdog without a bun is just a hot dog. Put it in a bun and *bam* you have made a sandwich.

A "burger" without a bun is a meat patty, and isn't a burger until it's on bread; therefore a burger is always a sandwich.

I'd love to see the reactions of the food service people if you walked up to a food stand and ordered a hot dog sandwich, I'm guessing they'd look at you like you were from another planet.

Bread with meat "sandwiched" between = sandwich. Burgers, dogs, sausage, subs, hoagies, grinders... all sandwiches.

Burger yes, dog, no. Especially for someone from Boston who no doubt prefers 'New England style' hot dog rolls, which is split on top. So the dog sits in the crack of the bread and is not technically sandwiched between two distinct pieces of bread.

Yes I married someone from Boston too.

met the bride in maine. i was sent there by the uscg. got out and we moved a bout. i then joined the us army and retired in the army. yes, was dumb enough to go to bootcamp twice. my kids are adults and sadly they root for sox and pats. my bride thinks it is "admirable" i root for as she puts it...the stinking bills. i did take her many years ago to buffalo where she could experience what wings are all about

And what was her reaction?

http://www.hot-dog.org/culture/hot-dog-sandwich

National Hot Dog and Sausage Council Announces Official Policy On Hot Dog as Sandwich Controversy

Limiting the hot dogs significance by saying its just a sandwich is like calling the Dalai Lama just a guy. Perhaps at one time its importance could be limited by forcing it into a larger sandwich category (no disrespect to Reubens and others), but that time has passed. We therefore choose to take a cue from a great performer and declare our namesake be a hot dog formerly known as a sandwich. Read full announcement here:

http://www.hot-dog.org/press/national-hot-dog-and-sausage-council-announces-official-policy-hot-dog-sandwich-controversy

Now, back to my post above. A "combo" in Chicago is Italian beef (dry, wet, or dipped) with Italian sausage link. That is why it is called a "combo" right? Combination sandwich and sausage? :-)

Are you suggesting that ground beef, even before it's shaped into a patty, can't be called hamburger?

Is anything "tubular" not a sandwich then?

I like Mark Vader's explanation on first page.

"Hotdog on a bun" Yes, it is a sandwich, just don't call it that.

Like: "All whales are dolphins/porpoises just not all dolphins/porpoises are whales." ??

"Cetacean is the Latin name for whale. A Cetacean is a whale which belongs to the family known as Cetacea. Baleen whales (whales without teeth) are members of the Mysticeti suborder. Toothed whales, like the sperm whale, along with all the dolphins and porpoises, make up the suborder Odontoceti."