Mets fans?

Another Fan

18 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Brodie coming right out and saying Diaz and Thor won't be traded. Could just be posturing.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/03/mets-wont-trade-edwin-diaz-or-noah-syndergaard-brodie-van-wagenen/

Here we go with Thor again. I bet Brodie will at least listen to offers. As far as Diaz is concerned, maybe a year in NY will have conditioned him to the atmosphere.

Just throwing this out there. There is a good article in today's NY Post about Joe Girardi. "Joe Girardi doing his homework on the NY Mets" Girardi has a real chance of being the Amazins new manager.

Edited by Rocket94

8 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Just throwing this out there. There is a good article in today's NY Post about Joe Girardi. "Joe Girardi doing his homework on the NY Mets" Girardi has a real chance of being the Amazins new manager.

He still has that Yankee stench. I suppose I could get over it like I did with Granderson. On the other hand, Willie Randolph was always a Yankeee managing the Mets to me. 

26 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

He still has that Yankee stench. I suppose I could get over it like I did with Granderson. On the other hand, Willie Randolph was always a Yankeee managing the Mets to me. 

Yeah...I could never shake the thought of Yankee when I see Girardi. He would probably be a good manager. He would have to be more open with Brodie and Jeff for it to work.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Yeah...I could never shake the thought of Yankee when I see Girardi. He would probably be a good manager. He would have to be more open with Brodie and Jeff for it to work.

They'll never hire him imo.  He has too strong a personality.  Much like they'd never give Wally Backman a chance.  Well assuming he somewhat had his head on straight haha.

I have a feeling it's going to be Joe McEwing.  I liked him as a player but he's "the safe choice".  A guy Brodie could push around some.

6 hours ago, Another Fan said:

They'll never hire him imo.  He has too strong a personality.  Much like they'd never give Wally Backman a chance.  Well assuming he somewhat had his head on straight haha.

I have a feeling it's going to be Joe McEwing.  I liked him as a player but he's "the safe choice".  A guy Brodie could push around some.

Has Super Joe been mentioned? Haven't heard his name in awhile, has he been coaching or managing anywhere? I'd be K with him if he's been working towards it..

59 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Has Super Joe been mentioned? Haven't heard his name in awhile, has he been coaching or managing anywhere? I'd be K with him if he's been working towards it..

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-bench-coach-joe-mcewings-name-brought-mets-look-new-manager

Mike Francesa mentioned him as well.  I alluded it would be a safe pick as most Mets fans like him and probably a guy that wouldn't cause too much drama/tension with the powers that be.

Btw, I just went shopping and flipped on the Yankee game just in time to see the Gregarious grand slam.  That and the cheering crowd was enough for me to want to shove an ice pick in my ear.  ?  I mean seriously Minnesota can you for once in your life beat this team!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-bench-coach-joe-mcewings-name-brought-mets-look-new-manager

Mike Francesa mentioned him as well.  I alluded it would be a safe pick as most Mets fans like him and probably a guy that wouldn't cause too much drama/tension with the powers that be.

Btw, I just went shopping and flipped on the Yankee game just in time to see the Gregarious grand slam.  That and the cheering crowd was enough for me to want to shove an ice pick in my ear.  ?  I mean seriously Minnesota can you for once in your life beat this team!

Thanks for the info. I'd have no problem bringing in Super Joe, but if I had my choice I'd go with Joe Maddon. Partly because I think he's a good manager but mostly because I think he'd keep things interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

Maddon has strong ties to the Angels management and my guess is Girardi goes to the Cubs. Not one other candidate rumored thus far excites me.

For me, it comes down to this: Did BVW and co. begin making decisions for Callaway because they lost faith in him, or because they're control freaks? If it's the former, a big-name manager could work. If it's the latter, they'll probably want a lackey, and I can't imagine that being appealing to any quality, seasoned candidates.

Edited by Golden Goat
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Maddon has strong ties to the Angels management and my guess is Giradi goes to the Cubs. Not one other candidate rumored thus far excites me.

For me, it comes down to this: Did BVW and co. begin making decisions for Callaway because they lost faith in him, or because they're control freaks? If it's the former, a big-name manager could work. If it's the latter, they'll probably want a lackey, and I can't imagine that being appealing to any quality, seasoned candidates.

It looks like Girardi and Showalter are out as well. These guys are too set in their ways to change now. Somewhere, right now, a lackey is about to be the Mets manager and he doesn't know it yet.

• Like (+1) 2

Why not our AAA coach, Tony DeFrancesco? He'd be cheap, gets along well with management (such that it is) and has quite a resume at the minor league level. Given that most of our talent is young, I think this could be a fit, and I wouldn't hate it.

Edited by Golden Goat

2 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Well...is there a way to bring him back for another tour. We already know the lineup will be different opening day.

Wally Backman? If so, highly doubtful. He was in the news again recently and whether or not there's any merit to the lawsuit, I can't imagine the Mets would be interested in bringing him back in any capacity.

"The ex-girlfriend of Wally Backman, the former New York Mets second baseman and current manager of the Long Island Ducks, has filed a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against the former major leaguer and the Atlantic League baseball team, citing physical abuse, sexual harassment and alcohol abuse."

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/crime/wally-backman-abuse-lawsuit-ducks-1.36791698

47 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Wally Backman? If so, highly doubtful. He was in the news again recently and whether or not there's any merit to the lawsuit, I can't imagine the Mets would be interested in bringing him back in any capacity.

"The ex-girlfriend of Wally Backman, the former New York Mets second baseman and current manager of the Long Island Ducks, has filed a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against the former major leaguer and the Atlantic League baseball team, citing physical abuse, sexual harassment and alcohol abuse."

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/crime/wally-backman-abuse-lawsuit-ducks-1.36791698

Sorry! I was going to respond to another post...that was a ghost post! Ha!

Wally Backman? Yeah, as far as the Mets are concerned...that ship sailed.

Edited by Rocket94