Mets fans?

Another Fan

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Cano and Familia were both such horrible moves it sort of overshadows everything else.  Those were EJ Manuel-level blunders.

Mentioning Cano without acknowledging that it also meant dumping Jay Bruce to make room for younger players is over-simplifying.

It was a trade with a lot of risk/reward. Unfortunately it's been all downside. And will get worse if/when Kelenic becomes a star. Just saw an article a few days ago  about him that made me throw up in my mouth. This could become our Frank Costanza: why did you trade Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

More info coming out on Cohen. A few quotes from the articles below:

The potential new owner of the Mets may have faults — but spending money is not one of them.

Cohen — who is notorious on Wall Street for multiple insider trading scandals....

“Part of me wishes this was literally any other guy, but the other part of me remembers that Steve f—ing hates to lose,” one hedge fund manager and Mets fan told The Post

“He grew up a Mets fan [in Great Neck]. He went to games in the Polo Grounds. He has deep pockets. He is a passionate fan. If I were a Met fan, I would expect that means more money [for payroll].”

the friend of Cohen said. “This is not a purchase you make at that amount to make money. You don’t make it to strip down payroll. You make it to enjoy the team you have spent your life rooting for. If I am a Mets fan, this is a big day to celebrate.”

https://nypost.com/2019/12/04/steve-cohen-is-mets-godsend-that-should-bother-the-yankees/

https://nypost.com/2019/12/04/mets-likely-savior-steve-cohen-is-a-controversial-free-spender-who-f-ing-hates-to-lose/

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

More info coming out on Cohen. A few quotes from the articles below:

The potential new owner of the Mets may have faults — but spending money is not one of them.

Cohen — who is notorious on Wall Street for multiple insider trading scandals....

“Part of me wishes this was literally any other guy, but the other part of me remembers that Steve f—ing hates to lose,” one hedge fund manager and Mets fan told The Post

“He grew up a Mets fan [in Great Neck]. He went to games in the Polo Grounds. He has deep pockets. He is a passionate fan. If I were a Met fan, I would expect that means more money [for payroll].”

the friend of Cohen said. “This is not a purchase you make at that amount to make money. You don’t make it to strip down payroll. You make it to enjoy the team you have spent your life rooting for. If I am a Mets fan, this is a big day to celebrate.”

https://nypost.com/2019/12/04/steve-cohen-is-mets-godsend-that-should-bother-the-yankees/

https://nypost.com/2019/12/04/mets-likely-savior-steve-cohen-is-a-controversial-free-spender-who-f-ing-hates-to-lose/

Wow!!   

But what are the odds the other owners vote him down just so they can keep the Mets sucking forever?

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Being in the XMas spirit I’ll try to say some nice things here:

Was dead against the Beltran hire initially.  I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and try to believe he wants to rewrite history as a manager.  He never got the Mets to the World Series as a player and now I’m assuming he hopes to in his new role.

Brodie, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and give him props for getting DeGrom resigned.  I’m going to assume as an agent he understood where the market was going for pitchers with the Cole signing with the Yankees.  He got it done.  Also Strousberg the big contract with the Nationals.   DeGrom is arguably the better pitcher of those two.  Got a lesser contract and yet everyone’s happy.  

It’s going to be a tough division next year for sure.  Nationals just winning the WS.  Phillies have a stronger manager.  Atlanta should be solid.  It’ll be an interesting year ahead.

Happy Holidays and New Years Mets fans 

• Like (+1) 3

Happy New Year, Fellas!!!!!  Bring on February!!!!

2020 Grapefruit League Reporting Dates

Team Pitchers & Catchers First Workout Position Players First Workout Location
Astros February 11 February 12 February 16 February 17 W Palm Beach
Blue Jays   February 13     Dunedin
Braves February 12 February 13 February 17 February 18 North Port
Cardinals February 11 February 12 February 16 February 17 Jupiter
Marlins February 12     February 17 Jupiter
Mets February 10 February 12 February 14 February 16 Port St. Lucie
Nationals         W Palm Beach
Orioles February 11 February 12 February 16 February 17 Sarasota
Phillies February 11 February 12 February 16 February 17 Clearwater
Pirates February 10       Bradenton
Rays February 12 February 13 February 16 February 17 Port Charlotte
Red Sox February 12     February 17 Fort Myers
Tigers         Lakeland
Twins   February 12   February 17 Fort Myers
Yankees February 12 February 13 February 17 February 18 Tampa

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

The old saying applies here: truth is stranger than fiction.

The whole situation is hard for me to relate to.  Biggest trap ever set on my property was one of those over-sized snap traps for a rat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 2:27 PM, Golden Goat said:

This thing with Houston stinks to high heaven and makes Beltran's presence even less bearable.

Yes my Christmas Spirit on him has worn off lol.

I came to terms looking past the issues I had with him in the past.  But yeah there always seems to be something slightly irritable about him 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

The silence from him and the Mets has been deafening. I have no idea what the contract implications are but stepping down sounds like the softest landing he could expect. I wonder what happens to his coaching staff.

I read the report. I thought it was odd that he was the only player mentioned but his contribution to the sign stealing was vague.

24 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

The silence from him and the Mets has been deafening. I have no idea what the contract implications are but stepping down sounds like the softest landing he could expect. I wonder what happens to his coaching staff.

I read the report. I thought it was odd that he was the only player mentioned but his contribution to the sign stealing was vague.

It's getting bad for the Mets. Daily News just joined the chorus in calling for his termination. I don't see how a win-now team can weather such a distraction. Also, if we win it all -- I don't want a damn asterisk next to it.

It'll be fascinating to see all three teams fighting for managerial scraps. IMO, this late in the game, we could do much worse than Terry Collins. Knows the team and has playoff and WS experience with said team.

• Like (+1) 1