Anyone Have Cardiovascular Issues?

So, I'm 38 years old...5' 11" 190 pounds. Not in the best shape of my life, but I'm relatively active and have always been in good health. Also, I eat very well, in large part, due to my wife's dietary needs. Mostly lean meats grilled or baked with gluten-free rice and fresh veggies usually steamed. I do have the occasional pizza or sub sandwich, but I very rarely eat fast food. I do light weight training 3-4 days per week, and we do a lot of walking/hiking with the kids.

The last couple times I've seen my doctor my blood pressure has been pretty high. I believe it was 138/80 this most recent time. My doctor decided to do some lab work, and she just called me with the results. My Tryglicerides (sp?) are off the charts, and my cholesterol was moderately high (total was 229). My family history is very significant for heart disease. My maternal grandfather died at age 48 of heart disease, and my Father was just diagnosed with an aneurism in his Thoracic Artery. I'm totally FREAKED OUT!! My doctor is saying that I need to eat better (I don't even know how I could do this), and she wants me to give up alcohol all together. Any words of wisdom? Encouragement? Advice?

My doctor scheduled me for an Echo Cardiogram at the end of April.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'm 38 years old...5' 11" 190 pounds. Not in the best shape of my life, but I'm relatively active and have always been in good health. Also, I eat very well, in large part, due to my wife's dietary needs. Mostly lean meats grilled or baked with gluten-free rice and fresh veggies usually steamed. I do have the occasional pizza or sub sandwich, but I very rarely eat fast food. I do light weight training 3-4 days per week, and we do a lot of walking/hiking with the kids.

The last couple times I've seen my doctor my blood pressure has been pretty high. I believe it was 138/80 this most recent time. My doctor decided to do some lab work, and she just called me with the results. My Tryglicerides (sp?) are off the charts, and my cholesterol was moderately high (total was 229). My family history is very significant for heart disease. My maternal grandfather died at age 48 of heart disease, and my Father was just diagnosed with an aneurism in his Thoracic Artery. I'm totally FREAKED OUT!! My doctor is saying that I need to eat better (I don't even know how I could do this), and she wants me to give up alcohol all together. Any words of wisdom? Encouragement? Advice?

I don't have anything to add other than I'm sorry to hear this. At the very least, try to stay calm and let the medical professionals (and geniuses on OTW) do their thing before you give yourself skin failure. I've read on the main board that turmeric and green tea can cure most anything, if that helps.

I don't have anything to add other than I'm sorry to hear this. At the very least, try to stay calm and let the medical professionals (and geniuses on OTW) do their thing before you give yourself skin failure. I've read on the main board that turmeric and green tea can cure most anything, if that helps.

Haha...turmeric and green tea. Got it.

My BP was 160/105 at the age of 55...Doc prescribed a BP pill and I started cardio...lost a little weight...22 yrs later I'm still here

Doc said no meds yet. She did say to take omega 3 and whey protein. Gonna give those a try.

Sounds like we're pretty much the same person are, height and weight. I just got my biometric health screen results back today, and I got 89/100. My biggest downfall is my total cholesterol....239. History of heart disease in my family. I had a stress test a couple of years ago and everything was good, so I'm gonna keep up my current lifestyle.

Sounds like we're pretty much the same person are, height and weight. I just got my biometric health screen results back today, and I got 89/100. My biggest downfall is my total cholesterol....239. History of heart disease in my family. I had a stress test a couple of years ago and everything was good, so I'm gonna keep up my current lifestyle.

What was most shocking to me is that I have always had a cholesterol screening done as part of my annual physical. Never been an issue in the past. Just snuck up on me.

138/80 isn't high. As for the lipids, take Lipitor. If you get muscle aches, or even if you don't, take coenzyme Q 10 with it.

The doctor said I didn't need meds yet, but that they'd re-evaluate in 6 months. I'll probably ask the cardiologist when I go for the Echo. Not a big fan of medications. I did read about the CoQ10 and I think I'll give it a try, thanks.

The 80 is ok. 138 a little high. Eat beets.

Beets, eh? First I've heard of that. I do like beets.

I am 39 and 5'10". Dropped from being a fat 213 pounds to a lean147 pounds and my numbers became terrific. I wonder if you should just drop some weight and do more cardio?

Wow! That's tremndous, JR. I think I could easily get down to 180 and that would help things I believe. I do eat pretty well already though, but I suppose I could use that $3000 treadmill in my basement a little bit.

I am 39 and 5'10". Dropped from being a fat 213 pounds to a lean147 pounds and my numbers became terrific. I wonder if you should just drop some weight and do more cardio?

A lean 147? Wow, I can't imagine dropping that far. I'm 6'1" and about 192 at 57 years old. Getting down to 180-185 would probably do me wonders. My wife complains I'm already skinny. Last couple BP tests (eye doctor and sleep study) were a bit high, but my last doctor (who performed an unnecessary surgery that took 3-4 years to recover from) told me in his parting words to stay away from doctors. I listened. We eat very healthy (fish about 4 nights a week then chicken, always with roasted veggies, banana and skim milk in the AM) and I play tennis or hit the gym 3-5 times/week. Good weather has me focused on dropping a few lb's then get a doctor in my 5 year new city.

My suggestion is drop a few and not panic. The BP is not super high. Sometimes its just genetics, but they can manage this.

A lean 147? Wow, I can't imagine dropping that far. I'm 6'1" and about 192 at 57 years old. Getting down to 180-185 would probably do me wonders. My wife complains I'm already skinny. Last couple BP tests (eye doctor and sleep study) were a bit high, but my last doctor (who performed an unnecessary surgery that took 3-4 years to recover from) told me in his parting words to stay away from doctors. I listened. We eat very healthy (fish about 4 nights a week then chicken, always with roasted veggies, banana and skim milk in the AM) and I play tennis or hit the gym 3-5 times/week. Good weather has me focused on dropping a few lb's then get a doctor in my 5 year new city.

My suggestion is drop a few and not panic. The BP is not super high. Sometimes its just genetics, but they can manage this.

Thank you for the reassuring words. This is hitting me like a brick, and it has been a bit alarming given my Father's recent aneurysm. I am sort of snapping out of the "shocked" stage, and am hitting the "I gotta do what I gotta f$&@in do stage because I want to walk my daughter down the aisle some day" stage. I'll get it done.

The doctor said I didn't need meds yet, but that they'd re-evaluate in 6 months. I'll probably ask the cardiologist when I go for the Echo. Not a big fan of medications. I did read about the CoQ10 and I think I'll give it a try, thanks.

With a 138/80 BP, you don't need meds. Try yoga or other relaxation techniques.

As for the CoQ-10, I meant to take it if you're taking a statin. Sounds like you eat pretty healthy, yet your lipids are still high, which means it's genetics and you need to take meds.

Thank you for the reassuring words. This is hitting me like a brick, and it has been a bit alarming given my Father's recent aneurysm. I am sort of snapping out of the "shocked" stage, and am hitting the "I gotta do what I gotta f$&@in do stage because I want to walk my daughter down the aisle some day" stage. I'll get it done.

We got married in a bit of a hurry, but not the usual gotta get married quick!!! My wife's father had cancer and wasn't expected to make it. She wanted him to walk her down the ailse. He willed himself to do that, then much later saw our children born. He made it through some awful stuff because he had something important to live for. You will do the same.

With a 138/80 BP, you don't need meds. Try yoga or other relaxation techniques.

As for the CoQ-10, I meant to take it if you're taking a statin. Sounds like you eat pretty healthy, yet your lipids are still high, which means it's genetics and you need to take meds.

Interesting. I will definitely consult with the cardiologist when I go for the Echo on 4/28. I'm not against taking meds if I need it.

I was just at the cardiologist on Tuesday; had heart surgery as a kid in Buffalo so need to check in every year or three. Valve still leaks, no reason to worry about it yet.

You can't worry about what you can't control. Get the cholesterol down and keep doing what you're doing. Family history isn't everything, there are plenty of other factors.

And unless you drink a lot, I don't see how eliminating that changes anything. But you could always switch to red wine -- Mead and Chef Jim have plenty of suggestions.

p.s. Don't get on the drug train -- that should be a last resort.

Edited by KD in CA

I was just at the cardiologist on Tuesday; had heart surgery as a kid in Buffalo so need to check in every year or three. Valve still leaks, no reason to worry about it yet.

You can't worry about what you can't control. Get the cholesterol down and keep doing what you're doing. Family history isn't everything, there are plenty of other factors.

And unless you drink a lot, I don't see how eliminating that changes anything. But you could always switch to red wine -- Mead and Chef Jim have plenty of suggestions.

p.s. Don't get on the drug train -- that should be a last resort.

Does red wine matter much vs white? I've heard red is better, but a lot? If white wine made you healthy, I'd live a long time!

What was most shocking to me is that I have always had a cholesterol screening done as part of my annual physical. Never been an issue in the past. Just snuck up on me.

Age'll do that.

I wouldn't worry about the blood pressure too much. That's considered "high normal." (Yours is about what mine is - consistently 135/80.)

Your triglycerides...it's the goddamn rice, I'll bet. White rice is high in simple carboyhdrates, which eventually leads to high triglycerides.

Since I've been getting screened my cholesterol has been high. I went on all diets supposedly reduces cholesterol and I ate everything I wanted and the numbers didn't change much. Sometimes things are hereditary and there's not much you can do to change it. I didn't want to take a pill every day, and I still don't want to. I'll probably put it off until I hit 40.

Interesting. I will definitely consult with the cardiologist when I go for the Echo on 4/28. I'm not against taking meds if I need it.

I've you're prescribed any for you BP, take them with caution.

I had a cardiologist prescribe me something for high blood pressure with a BP nearly identical to yours (135/80). Knocked me flat on my back for a week. Got better when I stopped taking it.

Since I've been getting screened my cholesterol has been high. I went on all diets supposedly reduces cholesterol and I ate everything I wanted and the numbers didn't change much. Sometimes things are hereditary and there's not much you can do to change it. I didn't want to take a pill every day, and I still don't want to. I'll probably put it off until I hit 40.

When I first met my wife, she had a coworker who's cholesterol was very high, and was on a restricted diet. My wife...her doctor told her that her cholesterol was too LOW, and told her to eat McDonalds three times a week. Her coworker thought it was extremely unfair..."You're being prescribed cheeseburgers while I'm eating twigs and berries!" So...yeah, a good portion is genetic.

(And that woman was a twit, and got no sympathy.)