Sean McDermott clears the air on reported rift.

PIZ

Jason La Canfora first broke the story that Rex was going to be fired and Tyrod benched. Bills loyalists mocked him then, but he was more or less right even though the owner had said recently that there were no plans to fire anyone.

McDermott's statements were vanilla. I did not expect him to say, "Yeah, Doug doesn't know this yet, but he is going to get fired right after the draft and I am going to get one of my buddies in here to take over the personnel department."

If McDermott had said, "I am the spokesman for the team, but behind the scenes nothing has changed. I have input in the roster, but Doug still has final say," then that would have been more than vanilla. As it was his remarks were vanilla. They are just what I would expect him to say if there were problems or he could be saying it and there really are no problems.

Time will tell, but for now his comments are unconvincing either way.

Everyone knew Rex was going to get fired...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason La Canfora first broke the story that Rex was going to be fired and Tyrod benched. Bills loyalists mocked him then, but he was more or less right even though the owner had said recently that there were no plans to fire anyone.

McDermott's statements were vanilla. I did not expect him to say, "Yeah, Doug doesn't know this yet, but he is going to get fired right after the draft and I am going to get one of my buddies in here to take over the personnel department."

If McDermott had said, "I am the spokesman for the team, but behind the scenes nothing has changed. I have input in the roster, but Doug still has final say," then that would have been more than vanilla. As it was his remarks were vanilla. They are just what I would expect him to say if there were problems or he could be saying it and there really are no problems.

LaConjecture got that one right because blabbermouth Rex told him personally. No Rex? No source.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

And La Canfora's success rate isn't nearly that high.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Yet many here wanted him to stay for the sake of continuity because that's what the Pegulas preached before the season.

Laughable.

To be fair, the switch has created holes that wouldn't have been there if we hadn't fired him. I'm not saying we should have kept him, but we can't afford another change in 2 years or less.

To be fair, the switch has created holes that wouldn't have been there if we hadn't fired him. I'm not saying we should have kept him, but we can't afford another change in 2 years or less.

I like to hope we corrected a mistake before Rex could have messed it up too bad. I know he had draft impact. I hope the current crew can be more effective. We still seem to have guys to play an effective 4-3 and just need some DB's and a stud LB.

I don't disagree with you Augie, though I have equal concerns over the current safety situation, fyi we just spent a 2nd round draft pick on a LB which included trading away two other 4th round draft picks to get him, so if he isn't that stud LB you're looking for, then we just wasted a 2nd round pick, not to mention two other 4th rounders , without achieving butkus

For those still not counting that's 3 draft picks we traded for the right to have Ragland a year later, the guy better be beyond studiedly, lol, or it'll go down as one of the worst trades DW made

jc

Yet many here wanted him to stay for the sake of continuity because that's what the Pegulas preached before the season.

Laughable.

No, it's what Pegula was insisting in the middle of the season when asked if he addressed rumors of firing Rex.

So, LaCanfora says McDermott has growing cache with ownership, could be bringing in VPs or personnel figures with ties to the coach in the near future, and that the marriage likely isn't built to last.

And then McDermott says that Whaley and he worked together on all this and neither could have done it alone, that it's been a total team effort, and that "Doug and I have had healthy conversations, productive conversations, and I look forward to doing that moving forward." And that the team will speak with one voice.

And people hear McDermott's comments and say, "See, LaCanfora was wrong, and there's no problem." Really?

Does nobody notice that both of those could easily be 100% true, that they are not contradictory? They are not.

Did McDermott say how far forward he will move with Whaley? Did he say there will be no new VPs or personnel figures? Folks, this is good PR, but McDermott didn't contradict LaCanfora's report. He didn't say there isn't conflict. And he certainly didn't guarantee Whaley's future with the Bills will be long or filled with power.

There is going to be a little conflict. There not always going to agree on every personnel decision.

I think if we were a winning franchise nobody would care all that much if the GM and HC tussle

That call that a normal NFL working relationship

However because we are mired in losing every bit of gossip and innuendo is magnified

And its just gonna get worse until we win 10 games or make the playoffs

jc

I don't disagree with you Augie, though I have equal concerns over the current safety situation, fyi we just spent a 2nd round draft pick on a LB which included trading away two other 4th round draft picks to get him, so if he isn't that stud LB you're looking for, then we just wasted a 2nd round pick, not to mention two other 4th rounders , without achieving butkus

For those still not counting that's 3 draft picks we traded for the right to have Ragland a year later, the guy better be beyond studiedly, lol, or it'll go down as one of the worst trades DW made

jc

We will never know for sure, but I wonder how much influence Rex had in our drafts. He's an overbearing, loudmouth guy. Not absolving DW, but curious.