Bills hire Talent Consultant to improve public image

It stems back further than that though. Ralph Wilson, especially in the later years would not give off good vibes. I still fondly recall his boasting about Toronto while subtlety trashing Buffalo... while outsourcing games there and feeding everyone's collective inferiority and fears.... or the PC where he declared that all the Bills needed were "runners" and "Tight Ends who don't get hurt". That transitioned into Russ Brandon delivering the message, and let's face it... about 80% of the fanbase would be thrilled to never hear a word from the guy and do not trust him. Also, Buddy Nix was a characture, especially with his infamous telephone screw up. That transitioned into the trainwreck Rex.... which in turn went into the strange events of Anthony Lynn and the Whaley PC.

They reacted by changing the direction of their PR man... and now this 'talent evaluator'. They were/are completely necessary moves. Even if they are well oiled, they always give the public impression of being keystone capers

Just to be clear, I 100% agree with all of this. You do a great job of laying it out. My point was that the relationship has become far more adversarial over the last few years. In the past, a lot of stupid things had been said but they were never attacked for them at the rate that they are now. They used to have to defend stupid things and now they have to defend everything. As an example if the Bills were to say, "Sammy Watkins is progressing nicely and we expect a big year out of him" the immediate response would be, "I'll believe it when I see it." "We've heard that before." If it were 5 years ago the response would have been, "I'm still a little skeptical but that's good to hear." Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't they just fire Scott Bertchold as Head of Communications and hire Derek Boyko?

So if we have a new head of PR - why are we bringing in a PR coach? Seems unnecessary.

This was Boyko's idea.

The Bills lost their way as little bit in terms of getting their message out. They had to know when they hired Rex that he would speak on behalf of the team. That is who Rex is. When you are making empty promises people will start challenging you. He said a bunch of things would happen that didn't and it put the media, and in turn the fans, in attack mode. The Bills then had to defend all decisions. Ina way they kind of have become guilty until proven innocent.

Give me a break! What did the Pegulas expect? You are portraying the Rex weapon of mass explosion as a surprise. The Pegulas got exactly what they wanted with the hiring of Rex. They wanted the nondescript and irrelevant team in the league to get a higher profile. They hired a huckster who was unceremonious dumped from his last job and got the same display of loud incompetence here. Rex left the Jets in a shambles and he left the Bills in a state of disarray. Now the owner is trying to alter the perception that his organization that was in an actual state of chaos is now a well run and professionally operated organization.

The fans of western NY may not be sophisticated but they aren't fools. If they wanted to hire this employee and messaging coach it should have not have made it public. If the owner wants to change the perception that the Bills are a second-rate operation (as they are) then their attention should be on making the football operation better.

Winning organizations have the public focusing on the product on the field. Losing organizations have the public focusing more attention on the way the organization is run. The organization's reputation of being a discordant and ineptly run operation are truths that are difficult to hide. It's reflected on game days.

Give me a break! What did the Pegulas expect? You are portraying the Rex weapon of mass explosion as a surprise. The Pegulas got exactly what they wanted with the hiring of Rex. They wanted the nondescript and irrelevant team in the league to get a higher profile. They hired a huckster who was unceremonious dumped from his last job and got the same display of loud incompetence here. Rex left the Jets in a shambles and he left the Bills in a state of disarray. Now the owner is trying to alter the perception that his organization that was in an actual state of chaos is now a well run and professionally operated organization.

The fans of western NY may not be sophisticated but they aren't fools. If they wanted to hire this employee and messaging coach it should have not have made it public. If the owner wants to change the perception that the Bills are a second-rate operation (as they are) then their attention should be on making the football operation better.

Winning organizations have the public focusing on the product on the field. Losing organizations have the public focusing more attention on the way the organization is run. The organization's reputation of being a discordant and ineptly run operation are truths that are difficult to hide. It's reflected on game days.

I get that it's not happening as quickly as everyone would like, especially for the people in the building, but are you under the impression that they aren't trying to make the football operation better? Just because they hire a PR consultant? You take this hire as a sign they aren't focused on anything else in the organization?

Sports business isn't strictly confined to what happens between the lines. Whaley is a train wreck when it comes to dealing with certain aspects of his job, which includes dealing with the media and public in various venues for various reasons. Same could be said for coaches and players who are also tasked in those other areas at times as well.

I don't understand the mentality that suggests that if the Bills are trying to address a weakness in off the field areas that they aren't focusing on doing the same for their on field performance as well.

I am actually saying the exact opposite of the bolded. They knew EXACTLY who Rex was.

The 2nd part isnt competely true either. No one wins more than the Patriots and they have a terrible reputation.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

It stems back further than that though. Ralph Wilson, especially in the later years would not give off good vibes. I still fondly recall his boasting about Toronto while subtlety trashing Buffalo... while outsourcing games there and feeding everyone's collective inferiority and fears.... or the PC where he declared that all the Bills needed were "runners" and "Tight Ends who don't get hurt". That transitioned into Russ Brandon delivering the message, and let's face it... about 80% of the fanbase would be thrilled to never hear a word from the guy and do not trust him. Also, Buddy Nix was a characture, especially with his infamous telephone screw up. That transitioned into the trainwreck Rex.... which in turn went into the strange events of Anthony Lynn and the Whaley PC.

They reacted by changing the direction of their PR man... and now this 'talent evaluator'. They were/are completely necessary moves. Even if they are well oiled, they always give the public impression of being keystone capers

But doesn't publicly announcing that they had to hire a "talent coach" provide the rest of the world with more laughs at the pure keystone cops aspect of this hire? A lot of "ha, Buffalo....".

If the Browns did this, this place would be enjoying a chuckle...

I get that it's not happening as quickly as everyone would like, especially for the people in the building, but are you under the impression that they aren't trying to make the football operation better? Just because they hire a PR consultant? You take this hire as a sign they aren't focused on anything else in the organization?

Sports business isn't strictly confined to what happens between the lines. Whaley is a train wreck when it comes to dealing with certain aspects of his job, which includes dealing with the media and public in various venues for various reasons. Same could be said for coaches and players who are also tasked in those other areas at times as well.

I don't understand the mentality that suggests that if the Bills are trying to address a weakness in off the field areas that they aren't focusing on doing the same for their on field performance as well.

You didn't fully capture my central point. The Rex hire had a serious negative effect on the football operation. It created disorganization and a lack of coherency within the football side of the operation. Pegula hired Rex and the outcome was predictable, and it reverberated throughout the building. My point centered around the fact that because of the owners' hiring it created the expected chaotic environment.

As far as the hiring of an organizational consultant my response is: Who cares? Will the new consultant help Whaley or the owner give better presentations. At this stage in their adult lives not significantly much better. But again is that such a big deal? For Whaley the substative problem isn't his public persona. It has more to do with his work product. The same issue applies to Terry P. Who cares if he isn't publicly articulate? That doesn't mean that he isn't capable. It was the owner who made a bad hire and it reverberated throughout the building. To his credit he was not afraid of quickly correcting a problem, a problem of his creation.

I'm well aware that the football business is a very encompassing and complex business beyond the football side of the operation. What can't be said is that the football side of the business has been run effectively and coherently. And that is reflected by the level of play on the field.

The point that I stressed in my prior response dealt with the fact that the problems on the football side of the business were created by the owner himself. It's inarguable that the franchise was set back with his Rex hire. Then he had to go back and address it again. That was my main point.

I am actually saying the exact opposite of the bolded. They knew EXACTLY who Rex was.

The 2nd part isnt competely true either. No one wins more than the Patriots and they have a terrible perception.

What you are now saying over the first quoted segment is that the owners knew that the loud Rex was an utter incompetent. That makes no sense. Of course everyone knew that Rex was an obnoxious character who garnered attention. But that side of his persona can't be separated from his fraudulent side as a coach. He left the Jets in shambles. That is certainly part of the hiring consideration that can't be divorced from the selection. Again, what you are essentially saying is that the owner knew in advance exactly what he was going to get when he hired him. That makes no sense to me.

With respect to your second quoted comment about the Patriots does not make sense to me also. The Patriots are certainly not known to be a warm organization but what they are known for is winning and excellence. That's the universal perception. Their organization is the template for success. Their organization from top to bottom is know to be not only the best at what they do but also to be ahead of everyone on how they manage their organization. While the Bills are considered a backwater franchise the Pats are universally acknowledged to be one of the best sports operations in the world. That is far from having a "terrible perception" as you so stated. They certainly don't have a warm perception but they have the prized perception of being the best at what they do.

What you are now saying over the first quoted segment is that the owners knew that the loud Rex was an utter incompetent. That makes no sense. Of course everyone knew that Rex was an obnoxious character who garnered attention. But that side of his persona can't be separated from his fraudulent side as a coach. He left the Jets in shambles. That is certainly part of the hiring consideration that can't be divorced from the selection. Again, what you are essentially saying is that the owner knew in advance exactly what he was going to get when he hired him. That makes no sense to me.

With respect to your second quoted comment about the Patriots does not make sense to me also. The Patriots are certainly not known to be a warm organization but what they are known for is winning and excellence. That's the universal perception. Their organization is the template for success. Their organization from top to bottom is know to be not only the best at what they do but also to be ahead of everyone on how they manage their organization. While the Bills are considered a backwater franchise the Pats are universally acknowledged to be one of the best sports operations in the world. That is far from having a "terrible perception" as you so stated. They certainly don't have a warm perception but they have the prized perception of being the best at what they do.

What I am (and have been) saying is that Rex Ryan was coming with a loud personality. The day you hired him he was the voice of the Bills. When he came in and promised things like "the defense will be the best in the league" and "be ready we are going" he was the voice of the team. These outlandish predictions were something that you knew would happen when hiring him. Rex had an extensive track record of this. The Pegulas certainly did not think that they were going to hire a different guy than the Jets just had. A leopard cannot change its spots.

The Patriots have been convicted of cheating on MULTIPLE occasions. No one ever questions their greatness but their integrity and brand are certainly tarnished because of it. When you say Patriots people think of winning but also of deflategate. They are viewed as a great organization but one that will (and has) pushed the boundaries. No one ever accused those great 49ers teams of breaking the rules. All teams that win aren't universally respected.

You didn't fully capture my central point. The Rex hire had a serious negative effect on the football operation. It created disorganization and a lack of coherency within the football side of the operation. Pegula hired Rex and the outcome was predictable, and it reverberated throughout the building. My point centered around the fact that because of the owners' hiring it created the expected chaotic environment.

As far as the hiring of an organizational consultant my response is: Who cares? Will the new consultant help Whaley or the owner give better presentations. At this stage in their adult lives not significantly much better. But again is that such a big deal? For Whaley the substative problem isn't his public persona. It has more to do with his work product. The same issue applies to Terry P. Who cares if he isn't publicly articulate? That doesn't mean that he isn't capable. It was the owner who made a bad hire and it reverberated throughout the building. To his credit he was not afraid of quickly correcting a problem, a problem of his creation.

I'm well aware that the football business is a very encompassing and complex business beyond the football side of the operation. What can't be said is that the football side of the business has been run effectively and coherently. And that is reflected by the level of play on the field.

The point that I stressed in my prior response dealt with the fact that the problems on the football side of the business were created by the owner himself. It's inarguable that the franchise was set back with his Rex hire. Then he had to go back and address it again. That was my main point.

I get the impression you are well quite aware as well, which is why I'm surprised at your insistence on conflating the various facets. Everybody and their mothers know the football side of things has been lacking but hiring a consultant to improve communications has nothing to do with that and it certainly doesn't detract from anything. All decisions rise and fall on their own merit. Just because Pegula screwed up on the Ryan hire doesn't make hiring a consultant another screw up.

What I am (and have been) saying is that Rex Ryan was coming with a loud personality. The day you hired him he was the voice of the Bills. When he came in and promised things like "the defense will be the best in the league" and "be ready we are going" he was the voice of the team. These outlandish predictions were something that you knew would happen when hiring him. Rex had an extensive track record of this. The Pegulas certainly did not think that they were going to hire a different guy than the Jets just had. A leopard cannot change its spots.

The Patriots have been convicted of cheating on MULTIPLE occasions. No one ever questions their greatness but their integrity and brand are certainly tarnished because of it. When you say Patriots people think of winning but also of deflategate. They are viewed as a great organization but one that will (and has) pushed the boundaries. No one ever accused those great 49ers teams of breaking the rules. All teams that win aren't universally respected.

You can count on one hand, possibly less, where the head coach isn't the face and voice of his respective team.

You can count on one hand, possibly less, where the head coach isn't the face and voice of his respective team.

That's fair, but it doesn't change the fact that Rex's voice was going to be different from just about every other coach. You know who he is and you knew it then.

That's fair, but it doesn't change the fact that Rex's voice was going to be different from just about every other coach. You know who he is and you knew it then.

I am not addressing the quality of Ryan's voice one way or the other. That's an entirely different discussion. He was the face and voice just as McDermott is now, regardless of their respective personalities. For the purposes of this discussion and why I entered it, I am only pointing out that there are distinct facets within professional sports teams and the hiring of a consultant to improve PR communications has nothing to do with certain other facets.

I am not addressing the quality of Ryan's voice one way or the other. That's an entirely different discussion. He was the face and voice just as McDermott is now, regardless of their respective personalities. For the purposes of this discussion and why I entered it, I am only pointing out that there are distinct facets within professional sports teams and the hiring of a consultant to improve PR communications has nothing to do with certain other facets.

Agree 1000%. Your point about every decision being judged on its own merit was spot on. WAY TOO OFTEN do people lump these things together as if they impact each other.

There were accused and lost a draft pick and was fined for their breaking of salary cap rules so yes they were,

Some people on this board would not care if Pegulas bribed or blackmailed ever referee if that won games but not me.

I disagree. This is a move that Russ would never make. This move adds a voice to the mix , in addition Russ likes to control the narrative coming from 1 bills drive. This move puts some of that in another persons hands. Connect the dots. They hired a new pr guy a month ago. This is his first hire . A smart move by the pegs

Does it have a tangible effect on the product? No.

Does it "look good?" Yes

Meaningless actions that do not improve the team, but, make it look good are the forte of Brandon.

There were accused and lost a draft pick and was fined for their breaking of salary cap rules so yes they were,

Some people on this board would not care if Pegulas bribed or blackmailed ever referee if that won games but not me.

Touche, I totally forgot about that!! Nothing makes a worse case than alternative facts.

Translation: We are going to keep doing stupid stuff but want to get better at marketing spin and public relations.

More like we may not know what we are doing, but we need to make sure we at least appear like we know what we are doing

I read it as T Pegs wanting to preemptively reduce stress on the mouth-breathing portion of our fan base that goes bat$#^% crazy anytime that they read something that the BN decides to spin into pseudo drama.