Bills want "success" before building new stadium

Rubes

In 2011-2012 Roger Goodell already stated that the Bills need a new stadium when he visited for the Eagles game.

He will strongarm and threaten the Bills with relocation unless they build a new stadium as he did with the Vikings, Chargers, St Louis and Oakland.

Build a new stadium or lose your team.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2011-2012 Roger Goodell already stated that the Bills need a new stadium when he visited for the Eagles game.

He will strongarm and threaten the Bills with relocation unless they build a new stadium as he did with the Vikings, Chargers, St Louis and Oakland.

Build a new stadium or lose your team.

He can't do that. He has no say in where the team plays. It is 100% up to Terry and Kim Pegula.

I don't disagree with this at all. It may not even be bigger than the present deal but it may go alongside the current model and become sort of a new revenue stream.

I think you might be right about the parallelism. It would explain nursing Thursday along. If the league is looking for something new, maybe a late night west coast package could be in play. The league probably could cobble together a month of late night west coast games to sell at a pretty penny.

For what it's worth, I read somewhere that Amazon asked ESPN about subletting games for which ESPN owned the rights but which ESPN chose not to broadcast. The day and age of internet networks is coming soon.

This is Roger "the Puppet" Goodell.

And he has show one thing - all he cares about is money.

He still doesn't have a say where the team plays. The team owner decides that. If they want to move they need 24 other owners to agree. It has nothing to do with Goodell. As long as the Pegulas want to be in WNY the team won't move. No one else can determine that.

I hear you...I wonder if they're hoping that a nice shiny new set of luxury boxes would lure more suitors from the GTA?

For as much heat as Russ Brandon takes on this board, his ability to generate revenue has been solid, so I have to assume that he has (or is developing) a plan for when a new stadium becomes a reality.

It should involve a train. Make it simple to get in and out.

I think you might be right about the parallelism. It would explain nursing Thursday along. If the league is looking for something new, maybe a late night west coast package could be in play. The league probably could cobble together a month of late night west coast games to sell at a pretty penny.

For what it's worth, I read somewhere that Amazon asked ESPN about subletting games for which ESPN owned the rights but which ESPN chose not to broadcast. The day and age of internet networks is coming soon.

I think that you will see the international rights expand as well. The league is trying to globalize (as all leagues are).

He still doesn't have a say where the team plays. The team owner decides that. If they want to move they need 24 other owners to agree. It has nothing to do with Goodell. As long as the Pegulas want to be in WNY the team won't move. No one else can determine that.

I don't agree with this.

Goodell has shown if you don't bend to the will of the NFL, you lose your team.

Or, the alternative view, i think that the NFL as a property has probably peaked in value. Someone might overpay for rights, but not on an ongoing basis. I'm watching the TV ratings and they're still high, but down 8% last year. It'll be interesting to see if the trend continues. There's a lot of competition for eyeballs out there, not everyone wants to spend 2.5 hours every sunday watching commercials for 30 minutes of football

Maybe. Time will tell.

I'm not in the game with this stuff anymore, it I think that even though ratings were down, the "eyeball" count (total number of viewers for all games) held up fairly well last year. Nothing else captures a live audience like the NFL, and I'm of the mind that a year without presidential politics and with an early winter in the Northeast will get ratings back to "good."

Lots? A 60-65K stadium where the best amenities mirror the best locations is a no brainer. That is what the Bills lack now. There are a bunch of threads here where people have laid it out pretty clearly. It's not that complicated.

It's just not going to happen that way. The precedent has cleary been set. It will be in the form of a public-private partnership.

I agree it will be a mix of public-private. The question though is what form that takes. If they build downtown, which seems likely, there will need to be a lot of infrastructure work: creating roads, upgrading the transit system, upgrading the rail line system. I could see the public-private thing being the Pegula's paying for the stadium and tax payers paying for the infrastructure upgrades, which would benefit the city in general, outside of the Bills.

I think that you will see the international rights expand as well. The league is trying to globalize (as all leagues are).

London would help a lot with this. I think a game there at 9a east coast time would start at 9p in Hong Kong. in some respects, getting London 8-ish "random" games a year might serve the league better than having the jags play there full time because it would aloe the league to sell a variety of games as a "national" package in both Europe and the Far East.

I don't agree with this.

Goodell has shown if you don't bend to the will of the NFL, you lose your team.

There is nothing to agree with. Goodell is the commissioner. He has no power over if a team wants to relocate or not. The team must request it , for starters. The other owners must approve it. Goodell doesn't own the Bills, Terry and Kim Pegula are the owners. If the Pegulas do not apply for relocation, the team doesn't go anywhere.

Death by a thousand cuts. I already pay far too much in NYS taxes. Saying "hey, it's only another $30" is exactly how all of these wasteful projects get funded so easily by politicians..

This is a time proven huge waste of money based on the lack of return for the taxpayer and the lack of need for the recipient---therefore, this would be the most outrageous use of our money, hands down.

Some idiot on here actually suggested taking the money from Medicaid to fund Terryworld.

Yes , I would love to see the bloated gold plated NYS Medicaid program dialed down to say the national average. And I would have no problem using some of that $$ toward a potential new stadium. If you don't think that program is full of tremendous waste then I think you are an idiot.

This is what my colleague passed along. The same colleague was on point about the name change from the Ralph to New Era Field last year prior to it becoming public.

Pegula does not get along with the governor of NY State due to the whole fracking thing. With that said, the Pegulas are leaning towards not asking the State for any assistance in financing a new stadium. If their investments pay off in the near future in certain fracking/oil friendly states then they will most likely cut a check to pay for it themselves. If all goes well then look for the new stadium talk to pick up in 2018-2019.

No link. Just passing this along. Take it for what it is worth.

....if new digs meant a substantial increase is suite costs, we would be out....it's pretty embarrassing now when we have to literally beg people to go in December when the Bills are traditionally out of it and the suite goes vacant.....

Need bodies (responsible fans not young drunk punks) on game days to keep up your image, I can help you out. DM me with you contact info and I would be more than happy to help you out in a crunch.