You are my sunshine, my only sunshine Jerry

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a great article.

>>>The roster is a monument to weak drafting and short-sighted personnel management. At the end of last season, the Bills had fewer of their own draft picks on the roster than any other team. They had 22 unrestricted free agents on March 1. They had precious few "value" players, young stars who are on their first contracts and help balance the roster.<<<

One of the reasons for the above quote is that Whaley keeps trading away our precious draft picks for little return.

Listen, I don't hate the man. The truth is that he is a lousy, undisciplined, short sighted GM. If he was watching his money he is set for life. Bills Fans deserve a GM who can get us into the playoffs. Whaley will never, ever land another job in this capacity. He needs to be fired.

Bill, I've turned the corner on Whaley. I'm no longer making excuses for him. On so many levels he has failed. His cap management is recklessly undisciplined. The roster he has assembled lacks coherency and balance. His drafting certainly has been mediocre. His patchwork approach toward putting together a roster is a shortsighted tactical approach as opposed to a more strategical.approach.

He for little reason gratuitously gives up picks that take him out of position to select other good players. It's a hodgepoge and impulsive approach that lacks depth in thought.

My harshest criticism for him is his lack of effort in addressing the qb issue. There have been numerous opportunities for him to add good qb prospects but he for some neurotical reason refuses to act on securing the position that is the most influential in determining success.

There is no question that Whaley has lost authority to the new HC. The new HC, not he, had the final say on whether to keep Tyrod or not. There is no conspiracy to undermine Whaley. He did it to himself. The basis for his loss of authority is that he simply has not done a good enough job to merit having the full authority to make the personnel decisions. I personally don't like the organizational structure but one makes adjustments when trying to cover up for weaknesses.

I wholeheartedly agree with the Jerry Sullivan column. How could anyone disagree with it? What is so controversial in pointing out the obvious. It simply comes down to holding people accountable. What is wrong with that?

EJ was awful. Now that you know Whaley's character. Do you truly believe he would defend the EJ pick and fight tooth and nail for him? Or do you think Whaley would say EJ was Buddy's pick and throw him under the bus. Answer this question honestly with the action you have seen from Whaley. Nix was Whaley's training wheels for that draft, it happens in the corporate world all the time it's called training while on the job. Why is that so hard to see?

I don't know Whaley's character nor do you. As I said blame him for sticking with EJ too long. That's valid. But Nix was GM when he was drafted. That's only valid but factual.

What publisher has not cared about people reading their paper?? What kind of criticism is that?

Your point seems to suggest that, throughout his career, each successive editor has assigned this role to Jerry Sullivan--the "negative take guy"---to sell papers. Come on..this is how he is. Clicks didn't make Jerry Sullivan. You have it exactly backwards.

It's not a complicated issue Weo. If people don't read Sullivan, he either changes his takes or the company takes note of his diminshed readership. You don't like argument, fine. I worked in media for many years and I know clicks are the new normal. So we disagree, and frankly I don't care, The days of paper boys delivering papers and nobody knows what happens after that are long gone.

I don't know Whaley's character nor do you. As I said blame him for sticking with EJ too long. That's valid. But Nix was GM when he was drafted. That's only valid but factual.

You can make your next 73 posts a repeat of your first--it won't change the fact that Whaley scouted EJ, Whaley put Ej on the draft board where he put him and Whaley ran that draft for a feeble and completely checked out lame duck Buddy Nix.

Why do you read that idiot? He writes that crap to cheese you off and to get clicks. It keeps the dolt employed. Juat say no and don't read it.

I know it. But for some reason I have to read everything he writes. It's so bad it's funny. It's like that old dude said on Seinfeld when he's looking at the Kramer painting in the museum:. "I LOATHE him.....Yet I cannot look away..."

It's not a complicated issue Weo. If people don't read Sullivan, he either changes his takes or the company takes note of his diminshed readership. You don't like argument, fine. I worked in media for many years and I know clicks are the new normal. So we disagree, and frankly I don't care, The days of paper boys delivering papers and nobody knows what happens after that are long gone.

So you are saying that clicks have created the current Jerry Sullivan? That he wasn't read (or writing the same pieces) before they went to on line format?

He's never changed his takes no matter the format.

Edited by Mr. WEO

You are right that Nix was the GM when EJ was selected. But it was Whaley who evaluated and ranked the qb prospects in that draft. EJ should have had a third or fourth round grade on him. Whaley stuck with EJ longer than he should because he over-rated him. That's his fault.

Lets look at Whaley's track record since everything is speculation

2013 Draft

EJ Manuel- awful player also not on the team anymore 4 years after being drafted

Robert Woods-not on the team anymore

Kiko Alonso-not on the team anymore

Marquise Goodwin-not on the team anymore

Duke Williams- awful player not on the team anymore

Jonathan Meeks-bad player

Dustin Hopkins- not on the team anymore

Chris Gragg- average player

so if the 2013 draft we walked away with Gragg's and Meeks because thats all thats left

Sammy Watkins- good player but didn't need to trade away the farm in a strong WR class

Cyrus Kouandjio- wasnt able to play till last year a team in a drought doesnt need projects in round 2

Preston Brown- slow and doesnt do have any above average skill set

Ross Cockrell-not on team

Cyril Richardson-not on team

Randell Johnson-not on team

Seantrel Henderson- he's sick and that can't be blamed on anyone, get well young man

So out of this draft we got a #1 WR and a slow linebacker that cant cover or stop the run, none of the other players contribute much on Sundays

Ron Darby- wasn't good last year I'm hoping it was Rex's system since he was good as a rookie

John Miller-average to above average

Karlos Williams- not on the team

Tony Steward- not on the team

Nick O'leary- average player/ nice pick so deep into the draft

Dezmin Lewis- Training Camp Warrior

We got 2 starters and 1 backup out of this class

2016 Draft Class

Shaq Lawson- drafted an injured player on a team that needs their 1st round picks

Reggie Ragland- injured while playing unavoidable

Adolphus Washington- ran out of gas but you cant judge a guy off of 1 season

Cardale Jones- major project that looked awful when he played/ wait and see

Jonathan Williams-fumble machine/ we have plenty of RBs so its not an issue

Kolby Listenbee-?

Kevon Seymour- gotta wait in see here

so out of this draft class we got 1 starter last year, could be 3 or 4 this season depending on how they play and who we draft this season.

When I look this over it doesn't look like a good job is being done drafting. Out of those 29 guys drafted SIX have contributed on the field for an entire season as a starter.

Alonso turned into Shady, so add Pro Bowl RB to your list.

Oh, that's right. Guess who the Buffalo Bills Media gave credit for the trade? I'll give you a hint. It wasn't Nix.

so conjecture in one case is wrong but conjecture in another is correct? huh, who woulda known.

Edited by Foxx

I know it. But for some reason I have to read everything he writes. It's so bad it's funny. It's like that old dude said on Seinfeld when he's looking at the Kramer painting in the museum:. "I LOATHE him.....Yet I cannot look away..."

Well, that's a gift of his I suppose. I get it. I just stopped one day and don't miss it a bit. Maybe an age thing. You just decide life's to short for crap and there's a lot of crap out there!

You mean to tell me he wasn't throwing people under the bus last season and acting shady during pres conferences?

You are right that Nix was the GM when EJ was selected. But it was Whaley who evaluated and ranked the qb prospects in that draft. EJ should have had a third or fourth round grade on him. Whaley stuck with EJ longer than he should because he over-rated him. That's his fault.

TheGM has the unlimited call on the pick. And that was Nix. And for at least the third time now I'll say it's on Whaley for sticking with him too long.

You mean to tell me he wasn't throwing people under the bus last season and acting shady during pres conferences?

And that means you know his character? Whaley isn't good with press conferences.

I could care less what the media said about it. Nix gets credit for that trade. And blame if you'd like for the EJ pick.

The Bills media. You know, the organization. They said it was Doug.

so conjecture in one case is wrong but conjecture in another is correct? huh, who woulda known.

No conjecture. It's clear the organization has been talking out of both sides of their mouth in their attempt at PR spin. They praised Whaley for the 2013 draft until that draft proved to suck. Now it was Nix's draft because his name was on the door, but any of the good moves were Whaley's.

Like I said, no wonder they find it so easy.

TheGM has the unlimited call on the pick. And that was Nix. And for at least the third time now I'll say it's on Whaley for sticking with him too long.

And that means you know his character? Whaley isn't good with press conferences.

We agree that Whaley stuck with EJ too long. But there was a reason for it. He over-rated the player he scouted. He over-rated him as a prospect and as a pro. It was a damaging decision because the organization was so invested in EJ it passed on better prospects later on.