Changes coming to Bills front office?

Those statements are true. So what you are asserting is that since those statements are true, so is EVERYTHING else LaConjecture writes?

Is that what you are saying?

I doubt John C. is asserting one should take that fella seriously.

Regardless of where one falls on all these issues, the abject failure of the franchise to secure a franchise qb for two decades is beyond dispute. So are the other dismal facts.

I personally think DW is slightly above average as a GM if one takes into account his acumen with regards to pros. He takes chances in the draft. Folks talk about how we only have six picks this year. Not good, but I look at Ragland and Listenbee as basically redshirt players who have yet to contribute; who may contribute. Lawson will be better in a 4-3. I don't consider 2016 draft a fail. Grade is Incomplete. We'll see.

Folks who think Taylor is anything more than a cheap bridge qb are very much overly optimistic imo. So, I hope we grab Mahomes or Watson. I would keep trying for franchise qb because it is disproportionately important in today's NFL. EJ and Cardale Jones are not proof positive that Whaley can't pick qbs and there is a marginal chance Jones may develop at least into a useful backup and perhaps more.

If Whaley is indeed in trouble, the Pegulas should have cleaned house when they hired McD and put someone in place for the long-term.

I hope this smoke is fake news.

Edited by Dr. Who

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those statements are true. So what you are asserting is that since those statements are true, so is EVERYTHING else LaConjecture writes?

Is that what you are saying?

I don't give much credibility to anything that LaConfora says. But you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out that Whaley has lost some authority in his job. The GM didn't have the final say on TT, the HC did. The team under Whaley has been stuck in the mediocre range during his tenure with little expectation that that status will change in the near future. That is not a good situation for any GM to be.

I don't need an historically inaccurate reporter or a historically accurate reporter, for that matter, to tell me that Whaley's job status is weakened and his tenure is in question because it is obviously so. Any GM whose job performance is similar to his usually has his job status in jeopardy. It's not about the reporting---it's about the record.

I don't give much credibility to anything that LaConfora says. But you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out that Whaley has lost some authority in his job. The GM didn't have the final say on TT, the HC did. The team under Whaley has been stuck in the mediocre range during his tenure with little expectation that that status will change in the near future. That is not a good situation for any GM to be.

I don't need an historically inaccurate reporter or a historically accurate reporter, for that matter, to tell me that Whaley's job status is weakened and his tenure is in question because it is obviously so. Any GM whose job performance is similar to his usually has his job status in jeopardy. It's not about the reporting---it's about the record.

That's not really true.

The GM got a new deal in place in order to keep him. If Tyrod isn't willing to renegotiate then he is most likely gone and in your world "the GM had the final say".

Plus, neither you nor I know exactly where DW or McD truly stood on the matter. But it most likely wasnt some extreme-view battle of the ages.

Reasonable scenario:

Whaley: I know TT is better than other options but he's not affordable or worth it at his current number.

McD: I know he's expensive but he's our best shot at winning.

Outcome:

Renegotiate and everyone wins.

I dont get how people keep turning that into a "fight" that Whaley or McD won or lost.

I blame the people in charge of hiring/firing HCs, and the turn over there, over the neutered GM who has done a good job turning over and rebuilding the roster every year as we change coaches with zero continuity.

The weight of the drought is forcing decisions to change paths at an increasing frequency. If Whaley is fired after 3 seasons, it will still be true that the Bills haven't made the playoffs for 20 years when the next GM arrives. Unless the new guy comes in with some magic, 2 years from now many here will be calling for his and McDermott's head. Might be even faster if the new guy came in this year and drafted one of these QBs and they flop.

My opinion is that Whaley is a good scout/talent evaluator who in 3 years has built at least a team that is competitive almost every week. Memory is fleeting, but try to remember how bad the tea was when Whaley inherited it - they were not even competive in many games - roster practically devoid of NFL talent. The roster is better now, even though it took a step back trying to get Rex his kind of players.W

If Whaley is fired, I can live with it, but don't expect the next guy to have a magic formula for finding a good QB and to have the ability to build a roster when there are 3 head coaches in 4 years (I think that is right: Marrone, Rex and now McDermott).

For those arguing that Whaley can't get along with coaches, it sure seems like Rex had a lot of influence on the draft choices of the last two years. Doesn't seem like Rex and Whaley had a big rift.

Well thought out and expressed views. Where I disagree with you is that it is not the history of failure that is weighing down Whaley, It is how he has performed during his tenure. That's the issue. His drafts have not been very impressive. His cap management has been poor.

You and others are shortchanging yourselves when you are establishing the past dismal standard and comparing it to what Whaley has done. Of course he shines when you compare it to stupendous ineptitude of the past. That's not the standard I'm going by. He should be judged based on how he has performed and not against the fools of the past.

His record is his record. It is not impressive. By any standard it is mediocre. It's not good enough for me and I'm confident that it is not good enough for the owners. There is nothing wrong holding people up to a high standard. That is a welcome change to the past where getting by is good enough. I don't accept that demeaning standard.

Whaley is likely a better pro personnel guy than GM. But he gets criticized for things he shouldn't. Like the number of draft picks still on the roster. Graham wrote an article about it, but if you look at picks just over the time that Whaley has actually been GM they are similar to other GMs over the same time period. Or how he drafted EJ when Nix was the GM.

Whaley to me is an old fashioned company man that goes along with what the boss wants. Pegula wants Rex he doesn't object. Rex wants to draft certain guys and change a successful D, he doesn't object. The boss fires Rex he doesn't know or object because the boss says that's what he wants.

I don't necessarily object to him not giving pressers or being good at them. But to me a successful GM needs to be more forceful in what he sees as the direction of the team. He's strikes me as more a follower than s leader and a GM should be more of a leader

For anyone wondering, GM Doug Whaley is part of the #Bills' representation at the #NFL annual meeting in Arizona.

Nice. That, folks, is what is normally called a fact. I will wait for those who take conjecture from a fella who is frequently wrong to explain how said conjecture has value and this does not.

It's about time for lazy tabloid Jerry Sullivan to spin out a report citing this report from the Buffalo News citing LaConjecture from CBS.

The guy just can't resist the urge to incite controversy and make the Bills front office look bad.

Hey. TURF TOE is my FF team name.

That's not really true.

The GM got a new deal in place in order to keep him. If Tyrod isn't willing to renegotiate then he is most likely gone and in your world "the GM had the final say".

Plus, neither you nor I know exactly where DW or McD truly stood on the matter. But it most likely wasnt some extreme-view battle of the ages.

Reasonable scenario:

Whaley: I know TT is better than other options but he's not affordable or worth it at his current number.

McD: I know he's expensive but he's our best shot at winning.

Outcome:

Renegotiate and everyone wins.

I dont get how people keep turning that into a "fight" that Whaley or McD won or lost.

I blame the people in charge of hiring/firing HCs, and the turn over there, over the neutered GM who has done a good job turning over and rebuilding the roster every year as we change coaches with zero continuity.

If Whaley would have had his way he would have simply gotten rid of Taylor. He wanted nothing to do with him any longer. It was the HC and not the GM who had the final say on Taylor. Both the GM and the HC agreed that TT was not worth the contract he was playing under.

You can make all the excuses you want regarding how this team has performed. There is little doubt that Rex had a damaging effect on this team. But from a GM standpoint no one can fairly say that Whaley has done a good job of drafting or cap management during his tenure. No one can reasonably say that Whaley has adequately secured the qb position.

If you want to manufacture excuses, go ahead. That's easy to do. I'll judge a person by their performance on the job. Maybe not for you but for me it is inadequate.

that group would start on MOST teams. But seriously, who can say that this off-season was not a departure from the Pats "norm"? And speaking of the draft,Billicheat hasn't dominated. He has as many misses as the next guy,imo

Here is an article regarding Belicheats draft picks:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1179256-bill-belichick-the-best-and-worst-draft-picks-of-his-patriots-career.amp.html

The 10 best and the 10 worst - What? Bill had some stinkers - no, say it ain't so...

Here is an article regarding Belicheats draft picks:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1179256-bill-belichick-the-best-and-worst-draft-picks-of-his-patriots-career.amp.html

The 10 best and the 10 worst - What? Bill had some stinkers - no, say it ain't so...

Nice 5 year old article that cant be used because his 9,10,11 draft classes cant be evaluated.

If Whaley would have had his way he would have simply gotten rid of Taylor. He wanted nothing to do with him any longer. It was the HC and not the GM who had the final say on Taylor. Both the GM and the HC agreed that TT was not worth the contract he was playing under.

You can make all the excuses you want regarding how this team has performed. There is little doubt that Rex had a damaging effect on this team. But from a GM standpoint no one can fairly say that Whaley has done a good job of drafting or cap management during his tenure. No one can reasonably say that Whaley has adequately secured the qb position.

If you want to manufacture excuses, go ahead. That's easy to do. I'll judge a person by their performance on the job. Maybe not for you but for me it is inadequate.

How do you "know" this? Sounds like you're reaching.

And yeah, good on Whaley for allowing the HC input into the players he's going to coach. That sounds like team work in the FO between the two. Why is that bad?

Whaley didnt want to pay the contract. McD decided TT was their best chance at QB. DW renegotiates the contract and keeps him. They all win. What's the problem?

Here is an article regarding Belicheats draft picks:https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1179256-bill-belichick-the-best-and-worst-draft-picks-of-his-patriots-career.amp.html

The 10 best and the 10 worst - What? Bill had some stinkers - no, say it ain't so...[/quote

That article provides great perspective on the draft. They list a number of high picks 1st and 2nd rounders that did not pan out well for Bellichick. Some people think that 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks should be 100% slam dunks, but that is NOT reality for any team. Some hold the local GM to an unrealistic standard wrt draft picks. Our misses are much more in focus to us and we don't realize or want to acknowledge that every other team misses on high picks, too.

No question that Brady and Bellichick's coaching are the biggest reason for their dominance. That doesn't mean that Bellichick never made a bad pick

And yeah, good on Whaley for allowing the HC input into the players he's going to coach. That sounds like team work in the FO between the two. Why is that bad?

Whaley didnt want to pay the contract. McD decided TT was their best chance at QB. DW renegotiates the contract and keeps him. They all win. What's the problem?

We don't know. We're just guessing. There is nothing wrong with input. The issue is when does input become unwanted pressure to get the coach players short term. It happened under the Pegulas organizational structure just last year when we spent 3 picks on an inside linebacker to fix Rex's defense. The pick we gave away would have been Dak Prescott.

We shall see if the same old same old is happening. Who is in charge? We shall see in a few weeks. Let's hope it's not McDermott.

You are defending a power structure that doesn't work. Belichick and Carroll are in unique situations. McDermott needs to win now. That's what he is doing. The long term health of the Bills means nothing to him.

Dude. Really? You crossed a line. You really think McDermott cares nothing about the future of his current team? That may be the stoopidfone thing I've ever read here.

Thank you for this point. Too many make it out like Whaley lost some monumental power struggle over TT. I think it is good that he worked with his head coach to provide the best QB available in the situation.

Dude. Really? You crossed a line. You really think McDermott cares nothing about the future of his current team? That may be the stoopidfone thing I've ever read here.

Coaches and General Managers think differently. If you don't understand that I can't help you.