Whaley has done one heck of a job, except QB

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2013 - whaley did not have final say. (he gets a pass.)

2014 - trade up for sammy watkins & koaundjio. (expensive but he hit on Sammy, jury still out on koaundjio)

2015 - no 1st round pick, darby , john miller (darby a solid starter, miller is mediocre )

2016 - shaq Lawson & ragland (incomplete due to injuries)

in 3 years he hit on 1 oft injured superstar WR by investing 2 first round picks in him......

as I've said previously.....a poll of TBD members could have done better.

2013 - whaley did not have final say. (he gets a pass.)

2014 - trade up for sammy watkins & koaundjio. (expensive but he hit on Sammy, jury still out on koaundjio)

2015 - no 1st round pick, darby , john miller (darby a solid starter, miller is mediocre )

2016 - shaq Lawson & ragland (incomplete due to injuries)

in 3 years he hit on 1 oft injured superstar WR by investing 2 first round picks in him......

as I've said previously.....a poll of TBD members could have done better.

How could a high 2nd rounder be a backup for 3 years and still have the "jury still out?"

We have a top ten scoring offense. What we dont have is a top ten defense wrt to limiting points. It isnt very hard score more points than your opponent.

31 passing offense and not being able to close out games lays on the Qbs shoulders. Falcons had a worse ranked D.

Whaley is a below average drafter, has horrific cap management skills, has clashed with both coaching staffs he's worked with, has demonstrated poor leadership and communication skills, has failed to help find a franchise QB in 7 years here, has a record of 46-65 in his tenure here including 30-34 as GM despite going for it all by getting Bills in cap trouble and trading up for targeted players. I won't even get into EJ Manuel.

On a positive note he is a better GM than 1st time GM Marketing whiz Russ Brandon, 1st Time GM 105 year old Marv Levy, and arguably better than 1st time GM 72 year old Buddy Nix...all of whom had to operate under the restrictive budget and meddling of Ralph Wilson and Jeff Littman, so Doug has that going for him at least.

Whaley is a good pro scout especially on the D side of the ball, but overmatched as a GM. This has been proven.

Edited by Billy Zabka

31 passing offense and not being able to close out games lays on the Qbs shoulders. Falcons had a worse ranked D.

Falcons also had a group of highly rated wrs that were healthy a decent left tackle a te that wasnt saddled with nagging knee injuries forcing missed repeated prqctices, a two headed monster at rb. Your point if you had one is null. Doesnt change the fact that if you score more points than your opponent (top ten scoring offense) you win more games.

could we please stop with the Whaley was not involved in the EJ pick

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204027/article/new-bills-gm-doug-whaley-integral-in-ej-manuel-pick

How people still can argue this is beyond me.

Whaley said on tape repeatedly that EJ was his pick, he set the draft board, was point man on Bills QB search that year, said that if EJ didn't work out he would be looking for a new job, made the Watkins trade because he said he had his QB and that Sammy was the missing piece to playoff puzzle, told coaching candidates in 2015 that EJ was a good QB that wasn't properly developed by previous coaching staff, and all his actions since Formally taken over GM duties have shown nothing but unwavering belief and support in EJ.

Edited by Billy Zabka

could we please stop with the Whaley was not involved in the EJ pick

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204027/article/new-bills-gm-doug-whaley-integral-in-ej-manuel-pick

Well, lets add a little audio of Buddy Nix talking with Murphy the day after the 2013 Draft.

http://m.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Buddy-Nix-Whats-NOT-to-Like-About-EJ-Manuel/eb0f90ae-c242-4ade-b2fa-2b8969a4c53d

Edited by cd1

Well, lets add a little audio of Buddy Nix talking with Murphy the day after the 2013 Draft.

http://prod.video.bills.clubs.nfl.com/BUF/audios/dct/video_audio/2013/04-April//042913nix.mp3

Dude.

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" on Thursday. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

Look, I'd like to see DW succeed in Buffalo, he's young, likes working in the region, and was schooled in the Steelers org, but I can't understand how fans can point to our recent overall record, the unsuccessfulness of our 2 decade situation, and then claim anybody associated currently with Buffalo Bills management is doing 'one heck of a job'

Factually speaking its a rather inaccurate and misleading description

After-all the objective of an NFL GM is not to just put together a 53 man roster, but one that wins more games than its loses, and one that qualifies for the playoffs, if not on an annual basis, but over any 5-6 year period, numerous times, let alone winning playoff games

That's the inaccuracy of the OP's grand statement, you seem to be giving credit to DW just for putting a roster together and ignoring the actual lack of success on the field, sorry but that's crazy, because the reality is DW to date has completly failed, as have the Pegs, and or anyone else who has a hand in the putting together this teams roster, which includes the hiring of coaches

And that's a fact, not an opinion!!!!!

But sure, that is the past, and not the future, clearly if you have an opinion that DW has the skills to put together a future roster that can win 10 games or more, not just in 2017 or 2018, but on an annual basis, I can understand a claim you think he the guy who can build a a consistant winner in NY State, ok then make that point, but then he has to actually do it, you know achieve something, in order for anyone to get on a message board and make a grandiose claim he is doing a 'heck of a job'

Remember, all those folks who jumped on message boards to claim our Bills had a great draft in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016, and then signed great players in the off season, and for made great trades, were incorrect, that totality was nothing even near great, the opinions on the individual moves aside

Just saying...

jc

Dude.

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" on Thursday. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

Buddy Nix said he'd deliver a QB to Buffalo before he stepped down. He made the pick. Whaley scouted and set up the board based on positions of need and player ranks at those positions. Also had to have set up a final draft board. That was his part. Nix had the final say. So a part in it yes, did he make the pick no.