Andre Holmes claims he isn't signed, Reporters disagree

FireChan

YOLO:

Thanks for the input. Maybe I'm the clueless one.

It just seems weird to me that if the agent's job is to get the best deal he can for the player he represents, the agent has to keep any offer received from team "A" a secret from other teams who might want to bid for the player's services.

I wonder if the agent is free to disclose team "A'"s offer to the other 31 teams, but isn't supposed to disclose info about that offer to the media. Maybe NFL teams don't want to have to deal with the extra public relations issues that arise when their fans learn of unaccepted offers (as this thread somewhat demonstrates)?

It could be as simple as NFL teams wanting to control the timing and manner in which they announce player contracts so that teams aren't blind-sided by media questions from reporters who got the inside scoop before it was publicly announced. That type of limited restriction on disclosure would still allow the agent to disclose Team "A'"s pending but unaccepted offer to the other 31 teams, but give teams control over how contracts that actually get signed are publicly announced.

In any event, I'm curious about what the disclosure restrictions on agents about player offers/contracts really are, so if I have time I'll do a little digging and post back in this thread if I find anything.

But right now, March Madness calls.

so here is how it was explained today on the radio: teams are required to send all official offers to the NFLPA. The NFLPA doesnt grant access to the media. The agents do have access. Some media has gotten credentials from agents to see the info, and they report it. The media is not supposed to have access though. It benefits the agents to have the info reported which is why they share their credentials. The NFLPA had just put out a warning yesterday to the agents that if they share their credentials they will be suspended. They are very angry that this occurred.

They did apparently make a human error in filing it, but the fact it was reported as such is against their rules.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so here is how it was explained today on the radio: teams are required to send all official offers to the NFLPA. The NFLPA doesnt grant access to the media. The agents do have access. Some media has gotten credentials from agents to see the info, and they report it. The media is not supposed to have access though. It benefits the agents to have the info reported which is why they share their credentials. The NFLPA had just put out a warning yesterday to the agents that if they share their credentials they will be suspended. They are very angry that this occurred.

Angry

That's just 1 thing we've got... in common.

I've given up on jerseys. I can no longer jinx this team. I got a Kiko jersey on my birthday, minutes after opening it he was injured and out for the entire season.. then promptly traded.

I can only wear my Moorman jersey so much.

My gf bought me a Sammy for Xmas. I hated Fitz so much I can't stand to see that #14, I wish Sammy would realize it and change his number to obtain better health.

They did apparently make a human error in filing it, but the fact it was reported as such is against their rules.

I thought they said it was only reported because somebody at the NFLPA screwed up and put it with the "signed" contracts instead of with the other ones that have to be sent in but aren't signed yet. If that's the case it wasn't really the agent's fault at all.

EDIT: I see now it looks like they probably aren't supposed to share the info from the signed ones either they just always do. So yeah, this is what happens when everybody has to be the first to report and the inside source screws up.

Edited by Tuco

The more I think about this, the more questions I have about the PA's practice of disclosing offers. I don't think there is a problem with permitting access to offers made to a certain player during a single negotiating cycle AFTER that player has signed. But it seems like offers are disclosed BEFORE the player signs. That, to me, is dangerous. Players are in competition with each other for jobs. Why encourage them to undercut each other? This is a real mess, and I would be livid if I was the player. Edited by SectionC3

My gf bought me a Sammy for Xmas. I hated Fitz so much I can't stand to see that #14, I wish Sammy would realize it and change his number to obtain better health.

Man, I've got that sick feeling Sammy will be leaving us in no time and go on to dominate the league ala Marshawn. Maybe opt for hoodies or those cheap Target tshirts with the number on it. I'd be willing to bet you can get a nice EJ T for cheap. Haha

The more I think about this, the more questions I have about the PA's practice of disclosing offers. I don't think there is a problem with permitting access to offers made to a certain player during a single negotiating cycle AFTER that player has signed. But it seems like offers are disclosed BEFORE the player signs. That, to me, is dangerous. Players are in competition with each other for jobs. Why encourage them to undercut each other? This is a real mess, and I would be livid if I was the player.

This is confusing but I think the agents only have access to offers after they have been signed. They give media access to these so they are reported. In this case, it was incorrectly filed as signed and that was the only way anyone saw it. Normally, no one, not even agents, have access to the un-signed offers. Obviously the agent of the player who got the offer would know what it is, but that's it. This is how it sounds to me, anyway.

This is confusing but I think the agents only have access to offers after they have been signed. They give media access to these so they are reported. In this case, it was incorrectly filed as signed and that was the only way anyone saw it. Normally, no one, not even agents, have access to the un-signed offers. Obviously the agent of the player who got the offer would know what it is, but that's it. This is how it sounds to me, anyway.

Good clarification.

I've long felt that all agents should be lawyers. This mess reinforces that view.

1. -7ZmMGP0_bigger.jpgMike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo 25m25 minutes ago

WR Andre Holmes is headed to Buffalo today for a visit with the Bills, source says. As of now a deal is (still) not done, though.

Holmes just announced on Twitter that he is NOT visiting Buffalo today; apparently he was discussing POTENTIAL flight and hotel options with his agent but NOTHING HAS BEEN BOOKED YET. So stay tuned, he may end up finding a lower fare.