Andre Holmes claims he isn't signed, Reporters disagree

FireChan

Why The Oakland Raiders Should Re-Sign Andre Holmes

by Gagan Aujla2 weeks ago

After proving his worth on special teams and as a quality backup receiver, the Oakland Raiders should re-sign Andre Holmes.

After the Oakland Raiders signed Andre Holmes to a 1-year deal during last offseason, it was clear that he was going to need to prove his worth to the team in 2016, and boy did he ever.

Not only was Holmes a force on kickoff and punt coverage teams, but he was also one of the prime reasons as to why Marquette King had a breakout year. Without Holmes being able to get into the red zone for downing punts, King would not have been as successful in 2016.

Along with his special team abilities, in the short time Andre was on the field for offense, he was often effective. One of Holmes underrated qualities was being an above average run blocker.

According to sportingcharts.com, it was noted that Holmes did not have a single drop in 2016, which comes as a surprise considering how often Raiders receivers dropped passes.

As the fourth option on offense, Holmes had 14 receptions for 126 yards and 3 touchdowns. Not the gaudiest stat line, but when called upon, he produced.

Take for example the playoff game against the Houston Texans. Although there was very little positive to take away from the game, Holmes led all Raiders receivers with 4 receptions for 50 yards and 1 touchdown.

Technically speaking, he has been the longest tenured receiver on the Raiders roster. Although he does not pose the biggest threat to opposing defenses, he has developed notable chemistry with Derek Carr.

Bringing back Andre Holmes would ensure continued high-level special teams play for the Raiders, as well as provide a reliable option as the fourth option at receiver and a needed red zone target.

Our special teams will be very formidable after seeing all these versatile signings. They say Holmes is a great blocker too!

Cool, cool, cool

This almost makes me wonder if Holmes was brought in a Easley's replacement. I am still very much on board with targeting Williams/Davis in the 1st.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Holmes....but this would not detour me from getting Corey Davis at 10 or trading down a few and getting TE Howard

We need to upgrade the pass catcher talent on the team as a whole....it CAN NOT fall apart just because Sammy Watkins for one reason or another is not on the field

One more thing....and this is JUST my opinion...it seems to me like Karma slaps us in the face when the team does not do enough to address a certain position in the offseason......We have brought in some guys that can easily be number 3 guys...Holmes is a fringe 2....I want a wr 1a or a guy like Howard

This almost makes me wonder if Holmes was brought in a Easley's replacement. I am still very much on board with targeting Williams/Davis in the 1st.

I am too, however I'm starting to think about OJ Howard. The thing about him is the lack of production in college (not utilized enough) and the growing pains most TE's have when adapting to the NFL speed and style of play. An example of this learning curve effecting play would be Eric Ebron and breaker of this logic would be Hunter Henry. It's risky for sure.

Considering the other guy they were looking at was Russell Sheppard, also a teams guy, I'm sure Holmes will be the Easley replacement and could potentially fill a similar role as Justin Hunter did as a big red zone target. The theme of the offseason has been targeting guys who help out in multiple areas.

I really like Holmes....but this would not detour me from getting Corey Davis at 10 or trading down a few and getting TE Howard

We need to upgrade the pass catcher talent on the team as a whole....it CAN NOT fall apart just because Sammy Watkins for one reason or another is not on the field

One more thing....and this is JUST my opinion...it seems to me like Karma slaps us in the face when the team does not do enough to address a certain position in the offseason......We have brought in some guys that can easily be number 3 guys...Holmes is a fringe 2....I want a wr 1a or a guy like Howard

Not only that it shouldn't deter you.

I posted the Writer underneath the title..

I suppose you'd come after me for jay walking too?

copyright lawyers are famous for patrolling websites and forums for copyright infringement. it was bad here about 3-4 years ago. they are actually quite adept at finding this stuff and successful at pressuring and having fines drawn.

first, you didn't link your source, which is a no no.

second, you posted the entire contents of the article. law says it must be only a reasonable amount.

third, you didn't put it in quotes which is more a formal gesture so others know its an article.

but the first two are actually part of the whole rules thing here. you're new so we're helping you. this isn't bbmb where mouthbreathers could shitpost and moderators had to clean up stuff like this - there is quality posting here and quality sources. joe blow from twitter don't cut it, incarcerated bob doesn't cut it, jason lacanfora barely cuts it. linking certain folks is frowned on - damond talbot, for example is just a hack nobody and that other kid who keeps coming here with nysportsbiz sites is a nobody. so be careful of your sources, too.

copyright lawyers are famous for patrolling websites and forums for copyright infringement. it was bad here about 3-4 years ago. they are actually quite adept at finding this stuff and successful at pressuring and having fines drawn.

first, you didn't link your source, which is a no no.

second, you posted the entire contents of the article. law says it must be only a reasonable amount.

third, you didn't put it in quotes which is more a formal gesture so others know its an article.

but the first two are actually part of the whole rules thing here. you're new so we're helping you. this isn't bbmb where mouthbreathers could shitpost and moderators had to clean up stuff like this - there is quality posting here and quality sources. joe blow from twitter don't cut it, incarcerated bob doesn't cut it, jason lacanfora barely cuts it. linking certain folks is frowned on - damond talbot, for example is just a hack nobody and that other kid who keeps coming here with nysportsbiz sites is a nobody. so be careful of your sources, too.

Gotcha, thanks for looking out.