Bills lose 3rd & 4th rd. draft picks in '18 due to stupidity

Estro

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I asked you if signing guys like Vladimir Ducasse, Jordan Poyer & a Fulback was worth forgoing a 3rd round pick and a 4th round pick in next years draft would any smart GM say yes?

Serious question, because that's what the Bills have done. You need to have a net loss of UFA's to lock in comp. picks the Bills have failed to do this. As of now, they have gained one more UFA than they've lost and they don't have many of their own UFA's left to be signed elsewhere. For a team that's no where near ready to compete for championships, to be blowing free draft picks to sign what amounts to depth players is asinine.

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

There are many ways to work the comp. pick system, something teams ike the Ravens, Patriots and Packers seem to do every yr., yet the Bills are still totally lost. You can use trades, pickup guys that are cut, sign guys post June 1. The NFL has put in place a system that compensates and rewards teams for losing good FA's. This year that happens to be Gilmore (3rd rounder) and Wood (4th rounder), but instead of taking advantage of this system the Bills were in a big rush to sign K's, FB's and backup OL that have essentially cost them those 2 solid draft picks. Now that comp. picks can be traded, they are even more valuable, IMO, which makes this error on the Bills part even more infuriating.

Another important and often forgotten part of this is that you can fill in holes on your roster with these comp. picks for very low rookie salaries. So say you use the 3rd and 4th round comp. picks on a FB & an OL instead of Vlad Ducasse and Patrick Dimarco. So, instead of paying veteran FA's $2-$3M per year you pay guys close to the vet min. of 600-700k. That's a significant savings that can be reallocated to other areas of need on the roster. For those that want to make the argument that the rookie pleyers may suck compared to the vets that were brought in via FA......fair point: But, my counter tot hat would be to just keep guys like Felton and Corey Graham then & still pick up the free 3rd and 4th round comp. picks.

This is one small aspect to roster building and player management, but it's an important one. And it's one that many of the consistently good teams have figured out how to maneuver......and one the Bills still continually EFF UP.

I think the goal is to improve the team for this coming season, not worry about getting mid/late round picks for next seasons draft. Should we not try to fill holes on the team through free agency. Someone always has to find a reason to B word about something.

As long as the Bills don't have any $8mil/yr+ players left in FA that they want to sign, if I understand it right, pretty much all they need to do to get an extra 3rd and 4th pick next year is sign two less FAs than they lose. If McD is as detail oriented as everyone keeps saying I would expect to see the Bills keep comp picks in mind as part of their approach to FA this offseason. If the Bills end up losing the 3rd/4th they'll get for Woods/Gilmore to sign two players at the bottom of the roster in FA instead of using the draft / signing UDFAs, that would be disappointing. But it's too early to tell what is going to happen at this point, FA is only 3 days old and nobody knows how many FAs we are going to lose/gain so I think this thread is a little premature.

I don't understand why some posters are brushing off the importance of two free mid-round draft picks next year though. Stuff like this is just one of the things that separate us from teams like NE. (They got Gilmore, Cooks, Kony Ealy, & Dwayne Allen this off-season and right now are set to receive a 4th and 5th in compensatory picks next year anyway. That's not by accident, they take full advantage of every aspect of the system every year, and the Bills should too)

Did you have a plan ready to go, in the event that Gilmore walked? If so, did you present this plan to the Pegulas?

In the few days that you've been on this forum, I've seen you use this exact response at least 4 times.

It adds absolutely nothing to any discussion

I think the goal is to improve the team for this coming season, not worry about getting mid/late round picks for next seasons draft. Should we not try to fill holes on the team through free agency. Someone always has to find a reason to B word about something.

Is that we traded our backup QB two seasons ago for a 5th round pick in 2017?

In the few days that you've been on this forum, I've seen you use this exact response at least 4 times.

It adds absolutely nothing to any discussion

Did you add something to any discussion? If so, did you present this addition to SDS?

it's practices like this that keep the Bills in perennial catch up mode and will add to their league lead of fewest percentage of team drafted players on their roster. The Bills clocked in at 23% or so drafted players on their roster followed by the chicago bears. Typical playoff teams have 60-70% of the players they drafted still on the roster.

Is that we traded our backup QB two seasons ago for a 5th round pick in 2017?

Is that a serious question? We're discussing free agency here. Traded Cassell because he was awful, we didn't need him and we could get something for him. (he was so forgetful I actually googled him because i forgot his name)

I really cannot honestly tell. I mean you sound like you dgaf.

and its Geebuz you zealot

You cannot lose what you never had either.

It's just like klos63 said above you. This franchise has certainly earned it's fair share of criticism but the OP is being ridiculous worrying about possible comp picks in 2018. This team had over 20 FAs but they're not supposed to sign anyone? I hear that New England* is crushing it in FA. There is probably room on their perfect bandwagon and no reason to criticize them.

As long as the Bills don't have any $8mil/yr+ players left in FA that they want to sign, if I understand it right, pretty much all they need to do to get an extra 3rd and 4th pick next year is sign two less FAs than they lose. If McD is as detail oriented as everyone keeps saying I would expect to see the Bills keep comp picks in mind as part of their approach to FA this offseason. If the Bills end up losing the 3rd/4th they'll get for Woods/Gilmore to sign two players at the bottom of the roster in FA instead of using the draft / signing UDFAs, that would be disappointing. But it's too early to tell what is going to happen at this point, FA is only 3 days old and nobody knows how many FAs we are going to lose/gain so I think this thread is a little premature.

I don't understand why some posters are brushing off the importance of two free mid-round draft picks next year though. Stuff like this is just one of the things that separate us from teams like NE. (They got Gilmore, Cooks, Kony Ealy, & Dwayne Allen this off-season and right now are set to receive a 4th and 5th in compensatory picks next year anyway. That's not by accident, they take full advantage of every aspect of the system every year, and the Bills should too)

I won't discount your points at all. If you are going to play the game. Play it to it's fullest. every nook and cranny

Is that a serious question? We're discussing free agency here. Traded Cassell because he was awful, we didn't need him and we could get something for him. (he was so forgetful I actually googled him because i forgot his name)

Did you watch the Jags game?

We're discussing taking short term hits in depth for long term gain in picks. It's the same discussion, really.

Is the difference of Vlad Ducassee versus some cut bum at G that big?

We're discussing taking short term hits in depth for long term gain in picks. It's the same discussion, really.

Did you watch Cassell play for Dallas?

I guess the simple answer is there's a time and place for each situation. To me it made perfect sense to trade Cassell, right now we need to improve our roster for the coming season. It would be nice to be in a position to juggle free agency around comp picks but we, like most teams i assume, are not in that position right now.

It's just like klos63 said above you. This franchise has certainly earned it's fair share of criticism but the OP is being ridiculous worrying about possible comp picks in 2018. This team had over 20 FAs but they're not supposed to sign anyone? I hear that New England* is crushing it in FA. There is probably room on their perfect bandwagon and no reason to criticize them.

I don't think the concept is simple enough for me to dissertate upon. I can see that Teams should be cognizant of comp picks at the very least

Edited by 3rdand12

Actually, NE is coming out on top with comp picks right now.

Did you watch Cassell play for Dallas?

I guess the simple answer is there's a time and place for each situation. To me it made perfect sense to trade Cassell, right now we need to improve our roster for the coming season. It would be nice to be in a position to juggle free agency around comp picks but we, like most teams i assume, are not in that position right now.

I did. He didn't give any team 21 points in 1 minute.

Fair enough. I just don't see some of our "improvement" to be all that necessary.

I don't think the concept is simple enough for me to dissertate upon. I can see that Teams should be cognizant of comp picks at the very least

So if you had an opportunity to improve the team for the upcoming season, you might not do that in the hopes of getting a pick in next years draft near the end of rounds 3-7, likely later rounds.

I'm not disputing that but they still have to fill out their roster whether or not anyone likes how they do it. Again, they've more than earned their fair share of criticism over the last 17 years but too many on this board B word simply for the sake of bitching and you know it.