Today I Learned....PartII

16 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Today I learned there is a Senator from Rhode Island named Sheldon Whitehouse

That makes him Senator Whitehouse.  Greatest political name ever

And being from Rhode Island, there’s a decent chance Senator Whitehouse will go to the Big House. 

TIL The most misused SSN of all time was (078-05-1120). In 1938, wallet manufacturer the E. H. Ferree company in Lockport, New York decided to promote its product by showing how a Social Security card would fit into its wallets. A sample card, used for display purposes, was inserted in each wallet. Company Vice President and Treasurer Douglas Patterson thought it would be a clever idea to use the actual SSN of his secretary, Mrs. Hilda Schrader Whitcher.

The wallet was sold by Woolworth stores and other department stores all over the country. Even though the card was only half the size of a real card, was printed all in red, and had the word "specimen" written across the face, many purchasers of the wallet adopted the SSN as their own. In the peak year of 1943, 5,755 people were using Hilda's number. SSA acted to eliminate the problem by voiding the number and publicizing that it was incorrect to use it. (Mrs. Whitcher was given a new number.) However, the number continued to be used for many years. In all, over 40,000 people reported this as their SSN. As late as 1977, 12 people were found to still be using the SSN "issued by Woolworth."

https://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/misused.html

2 hours ago, Mr Info said:

TIL The most misused SSN of all time was (078-05-1120). In 1938, wallet manufacturer the E. H. Ferree company in Lockport, New York decided to promote its product by showing how a Social Security card would fit into its wallets. A sample card, used for display purposes, was inserted in each wallet. Company Vice President and Treasurer Douglas Patterson thought it would be a clever idea to use the actual SSN of his secretary, Mrs. Hilda Schrader Whitcher.

The wallet was sold by Woolworth stores and other department stores all over the country. Even though the card was only half the size of a real card, was printed all in red, and had the word "specimen" written across the face, many purchasers of the wallet adopted the SSN as their own. In the peak year of 1943, 5,755 people were using Hilda's number. SSA acted to eliminate the problem by voiding the number and publicizing that it was incorrect to use it. (Mrs. Whitcher was given a new number.) However, the number continued to be used for many years. In all, over 40,000 people reported this as their SSN. As late as 1977, 12 people were found to still be using the SSN "issued by Woolworth."

https://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/misused.html

Imagine Hilda's surprise when she retired and got her first SS monthly benefit check for $50,000. I hope she thanked her boss.

On 10/5/2018 at 1:30 PM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Damn, I hope that's not true.  When my son graduated from high school, his baseball coach (and personal friend of mine) gave me a bottle of whiskey; it remains unopened to this day.  Son is now fifty-eight, the coach passed away a number of years ago, etc.; the bottle remains unopened....

9 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

that was an early chapter in the Big Book of 100 Football Facts that were plenteous in the 60s and 70s for young readers, teaching about the game 50+ years earlier

a Jim Thorpe leg whip tackle from behind was just as much feared

On 10/9/2018 at 9:47 AM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I can confirm that Obsession attracts kitties.

I ran out about 5 years ago. I thought about buying some the other day when I walked past the scents at the store, but it seemed too pricey at that moment...I think a priority adjustment may be in order. I haven't snuggled with a kittie cat into too too long!

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Today I learned that Dua Lipa is an English performer, not Portuguese for "two lips."

What's sexier than roses on a piano? Dua Lipa on an organ!

Edited by BUFFALOKIE