Today I Learned....PartII

4 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I am in the same boat, where do they come up with that crap?

My “healthy” weight, according to the BMI chart, would be less than or equal to 175 pounds.  I’m 6’0”.  I haven’t been 175 since I was a sophomore in HS.  That **** is crazy.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My “healthy” weight, according to the BMI chart, would be less than or equal to 175 pounds.  I’m 6’0”.  I haven’t been 175 since I was a sophomore in HS.  That **** is crazy.

I'm obese at 205 and 5'11". Yet I can run a 5k right now without breathing hard.

Screw you, gubment!

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Same here, 6'4", and I'm "supposed" to be 180 or so.

Last time I was 180, at that height, I was critically ill and looked like a survivor of Bergen-Belsen.

25 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Same here, 6'4", and I'm "supposed" to be 180 or so.

Last time I was 180, at that height, I was critically ill and looked like a survivor of Bergen-Belsen.

I’m 6’1” and got down around 180# about 8 years ago following some surgery. My first outing after the hospital was with a very good friend who later told me he texted his wife while we were out and said “he looks like my dad just before he died of cancer!” I’m about 190 now with good intentions, but have no desire to go below 185. 

When I worked in govt agency which publicized these metrics I noticed most of the profiles listed those generated were vegetarians and from pictures looked very frail looking.  I think there own choices influenced what they recommend for others.  Not all vegetarians are like this. I worked with one in college, a married man in early 30s, who looked like an athlete.

The BMI never worked for people with a body  for which strangers ask me where I played basketball and, since my 30s, also where I played football

they have had to set up a second BMI for people who have larger frames, a system that tells me an NFL running back and NBA power forward is obese is criminally wrong and the opposite of science 

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

When I worked in govt agency which publicized these metrics I noticed most of the profiles listed those generated were vegetarians and from pictures looked very frail looking.  I think there own choices influenced what they recommend for others.  Not all vegetarians are like this. I worked with one in college, a married man in early 30s, who looked like an athlete.

I have met a few who were good people and enjoyable company.

On 7/5/2018 at 12:51 PM, DC Tom said:

What's really interesting is that he probably wouldn't have found Titanic without looking for Thresher and Scorpion first.  The experience finding the subs led him to change his search plan for the Titanic.

I found CBF's TIL more interesting than this.

14 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I found CBF's TIL more interesting than this.

It's a free country.  You have a First Amendment right to be both wrong and stupid, and I completely support your exercise of such.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/5/2018 at 12:51 PM, DC Tom said:

What's really interesting is that he probably wouldn't have found Titanic without looking for Thresher and Scorpion first.  The experience finding the subs led him to change his search plan for the Titanic.

I find this kind of stuff fascinating.  A couple of concise articles detail what Tom mentions:  http://www.planet-science.com/categories/over-11s/technology/2012/04/finding-the-titanic.aspx and https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/titanic-nuclear-submarine-scorpion-thresher-ballard/.  One story I have heard, but not sure if it is true, was that the Navy knew where the Titanic rested, though without knowing it was the Titanic.  When traveling to Iceland and Northern Europe, Navy subs would travel north off the US East coast, then take a right hand turn when their sonar detected the area where the Titanic rested.  Supposedly, the Navy told Robert Ballard, if you wanted to know where the Titanic was, why didn't you ask?  Again, not sure of the validity of this, but an interesting thought.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I find this kind of stuff fascinating.  A couple of concise articles detail what Tom mentions:  http://www.planet-science.com/categories/over-11s/technology/2012/04/finding-the-titanic.aspx and https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/titanic-nuclear-submarine-scorpion-thresher-ballard/.  One story I have heard, but not sure if it is true, was that the Navy knew where the Titanic rested, though without knowing it was the Titanic.  When traveling to Iceland and Northern Europe, Navy subs would travel north off the US East coast, then take a right hand turn when their sonar detected the area where the Titanic rested.  Supposedly, the Navy told Robert Ballard, if you wanted to know where the Titanic was, why didn't you ask?  Again, not sure of the validity of this, but an interesting thought.

I tend to doubt that story, if only because shipwrecks are almost useless as deep-ocean navigation marks; the North Atlantic's so lousy with wrecks that using a single one as a deep-ocean navigation mark is impractical; and subs typically don't navigate by sonar, particularly in mid-ocean.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Drummer Mick Woodmansey is the sole living band member for the recording of Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust Album.  Must be a curse or something on the record, everyone died.

On 7/12/2018 at 9:43 AM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Speilberg was set to direct the Harry Potter series but JK Rowling insisted that all the actors be British and SS wanted to use American actors.   Glad it went the way it did.