Today I Learned....PartII

Today I learned that EII doesn't know the difference between a seed and a leaf. :w00t:

Read the thread. Wegman's and people in UK don't. I just know what I am looking for.

I never did get an answer from Plenz on what Wegman's calls "coriander"... I asked if it was seed or leaf. I most certainly know the difference in both Latin (word root)/English & Spainsh cooking.

No, he pretty clearly can. He just can't tell the difference between "British" and "American."

Still. If you read my original reply to Plenz... I asked what Wegman's was selling, leaf or seed. If it was leaf, then they aren't adhering to North American culture. Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Read the thread. Wegman's and people in UK don't. I just know what I am looking for.

I never did get an answer from Plenz on what Wegman's calls "coriander"... I asked if it was seed or leaf. I most certainly know the difference in both Latin (word root)/English & Spainsh cooking.

Still. If you read my original reply to Plenz... I asked what Wegman's was selling, leaf or seed. If it was leaf, then they aren't adhering to North American culture.

So you're saying that both Tom AND I somehow misread your posts. :flirt:

To further muddy the water, the professional chef in Nashville who kept telling me what to do with the coriander (when I only had cilantro) explained to me that if he wanted the kitchen guys to do the right thing, he would call it coriander. Most of them were Mexican (cooking Indian food). I gave him a funny look, and he just gave me a "yeah, I know, let it go" shrug.

But I get cilantro in the produce section, and coriander in the spice aisle!

Edited by Augie

To further muddy the water, the professional chef in Nashville who kept telling me what to do with the coriander (when I only had cilantro) explained to me that if he wanted the kitchen guys to do the right thing, he would call it coriander. Most of them were Mexican. I gave him a funny look, and he just gave me a "yeah, I know, let it go" shrug.

But I get cilantro in the produce section, and coriander in the spice aisle!

Exactly, I understand. I speak muddy water. ;-)

I understand Plenz being peeved. But this is such a ticky tacky thing... And you know how moody chef's get. Very regionalized, nationalized turf war.

I'd like to hear Wegman's take on why they buck North American local practice and call it coriander, assuming it was the leaf Plenz was getting?

Yet... This Mexican trend is very recent. Traditionally, here in the US and especially the South, they most likely stuck with the UK take on it. I cited the R.E.M song(s)... LoL... Not that holds any water, but they do get folksy with lyrics.

This cilantro phase is rather new I suspect. Yey, you got guys like Gug going back and using words like,"whilst"... WTF. Latch on to the new trends with the explosion in Mexican cuisine the last 15 years, but go back in time with other words... Crazy even by my standards!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Exactly, I understand. I speak muddy water. ;-)

I understand Plenz being peeved. But this is such a ticky tacky thing... And you know how moody chef's get. Very regionalized, nationalized turf war.

I'd like to hear Wegman's take on why they buck North American local practice and call it coriander, assuming it was the leaf Plenz was getting?

Yet... This Mexican trend is very recent. Traditionally, here in the US and especially the South, they most likely stuck with the UK take on it. I cited the R.E.M song(s)... LoL... Not that holds any water, but they do get folksy with lyrics.

This cilantro phase is rather new I suspect. Yey, you got guys like Gug going back and using words like,"whilst"... WTF. Latch on to the new trends with the explosion in Mexican cuisine the last 15 years, but go back in time with other words... Crazy even by my standards!

I use cilantro whilst cooking Puerto Rican cuisine and it's hardly a trend. Sofrito (cilantro/garlic based seasoning) is used in most PR dishes.

The only things I use cilantro in that are Mexican are pico de gallo and guac. That's trendy.

I use cilantro whilst cooking Puerto Rican cuisine and it's hardly a trend. Sofrito (cilantro/garlic based seasoning) is used in most PR dishes.

The only things I use cilantro in that are Mexican are pico de gallo and guac. That's trendy.

You're an alright guy Gug. You are absolutely right. When in Rome, do as the Romans.

LoL... But your friend Jorge, you call George, right? ;-)

I still wanna know Wegman's explanation... Oh and Chef, if out there, your take! :-)

Still. If you read my original reply to Plenz... I asked what Wegman's was selling, leaf or seed. If it was leaf, then they aren't adhering to North American culture.

Stick to carp, fish-boy.

Yeah...but I've got more physics publications than Brian May. :w00t:

Aside from being Brian May, Brian May has a Ph.D. in Physics with published work and had the honor of performing "God Save the Queen" from the roof of Buckingham Palace for Queen Elizabeth II, on the occasion of her royal majesty's Golden Jubilee.

On a guitar of his own design and construction.

So please, DC Tom, shut the F up and sit down.