Tank You Very Much

Gugny

Not a tank. Tyrod is now a 2 season bridge QB, which is what he should be. The FO isn't blowing it up though. No big slashing of vets and accumulation of draft picks. They're trying to be competitive while building for the future. I'm not saying it's what I'd do. I'd do the full on rebuild and tank. But Whaley isn't, he's trying to hold it together and break the playoff drought while gearing up for the future.

When a team has a "bridge QB," which is NFL-exclusive as the "high ankle" that no one else seems to have .... anyway, when a team has a bridge QB, they're saying, "hey, our QB sucks. But we're still gonna try to win games and probably eek out 7 or 8 of them while we evaluate the talent of the rest of the team."

Why bother?

Why not just REALLY suck and get a couple decent picks?

That is how we think at the adult table.

Mediocrity can be left to the kids who know no better.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with trying to tank, presuably to get a top QB next year, have you seen how well the Jets are set up to tank this year? I'd also still throw the Browns in there as well. They will be a very young team all around next year so I still see them as a 2-3 win team max. I know anything can happen, but currently as the two teams are constructed it is hard to see the Bills losing to the Jets twice. And that speaks more to how much worse the Jets are on paper compared to last year because I don't think the Bills currently are any better on paper, we've probably taken a step back for sure. But Jets have taken several steps back.

Also, throw in the very real possibility of Darnold going back to school.

When a team has a "bridge QB," which is NFL-exclusive as the "high ankle" that no one else seems to have .... anyway, when a team has a bridge QB, they're saying, "hey, our QB sucks. But we're still gonna try to win games and probably eek out 7 or 8 of them while we evaluate the talent of the rest of the team."

Why bother?

Because there are plenty of examples of teams that have used a "bridge QB" and have still managed to make the playoffs. Dolphins last year are a perfect example. Their team was nothing special overall and there QB is nothing special. Yet they made the playoffs. For the Bills to not be able to make one playoff appearance over the last 17 years with a bridge QB is just another embarrassment on a long list of embarrassments.

How many times have the Browns and Rams blown it up and gotten nowhere? Tanking does not guarantee success. Jets seem to have a leg up on us in that race anyways. Even if we released Taylor, Jets overall are probably worse. And Browns with such a young roster will likely still be pretty bad, much like the Rams have always been bad with young rosters.

Guest NeckBeard

Tanking assumes that you trust the current FO enough not to pick another CJS or Maybin as the lynchpin of your franchise. I am a "push" when it comes to the FO, so, in that light, I think that losing for the sake of drafting the mythical/unicorn franchise QB then winning out, is folly. I get the bias about tanking here. I do. Bill Polian guided a moribund franchise out of a pit of despair, but he's the exception and not the rule. The Browns keep stockpiling picks in drafts, and they are easily one of the worst franchises in the NFL, but at the same time you wonder when somebody in their FO will find the magic bullet to turn their franchise around. I, for one, don't see it.

I bet you a dozen wings at a bar in Buffalo of the winners choosing that we will have 7 wins or more this year!

It's a bet.

Problem with trying to tank, presuably to get a top QB next year, have you seen how well the Jets are set up to tank this year? I'd also still throw the Browns in there as well. They will be a very young team all around next year so I still see them as a 2-3 win team max. I know anything can happen, but currently as the two teams are constructed it is hard to see the Bills losing to the Jets twice. And that speaks more to how much worse the Jets are on paper compared to last year because I don't think the Bills currently are any better on paper, we've probably taken a step back for sure. But Jets have taken several steps back.

Also, throw in the very real possibility of Darnold going back to school.

Because there are plenty of examples of teams that have used a "bridge QB" and have still managed to make the playoffs. Dolphins last year are a perfect example. Their team was nothing special overall and there QB is nothing special. Yet they made the playoffs. For the Bills to not be able to make one playoff appearance over the last 17 years with a bridge QB is just another embarrassment on a long list of embarrassments.

How many times have the Browns and Rams blown it up and gotten nowhere? Tanking does not guarantee success. Jets seem to have a leg up on us in that race anyways. Even if we released Taylor, Jets overall are probably worse. And Browns with such a young roster will likely still be pretty bad, much like the Rams have always been bad with young rosters.

Tannehill's been the starter in Miami for like 10 years. That's not a bridge QB.

Congratulations on naming 3 organizations that suck more than Buffalo. WE'RE NOT THE WORST!!!

At first I was annoyed but I kind of apply the crayonz rule. If you are gonna do it at least have it be your own thread. Therefore well done :thumbsup:

You even got eball to bite! I get the new guys falling but c'mon e you're better than that! :nana:

Tannehill's been the starter in Miami for like 10 years. That's not a bridge QB.

Congratulations on naming 3 organizations that suck more than Buffalo. WE'RE NOT THE WORST!!!

It doesn't matter if it's a mile long bridge or a 100 yard bridge. A bridge is a bridge. It has to do with a QB's overall ability. Tannehill's ability is that of a bridge QB. I didn't name those organizations just to name them. They are examples of teams who have routinely tanked, intentionally or not and have nothing to show for it.

Why bother?

That is how we think at the adult table.

Mediocrity can be left to the kids who know no better.

I agree with your course. I'd tear it down to the foundation, tank it and build up for 2-3 seasons from now. Brady will be gone and we (hopefully) would be built to win. The problem is that Whaley can't do that. How can he sell a total rebuild to Pegula? I have to think Rex was forced on him and he went to Pegula with something to the effect of "I put talent on this team that should be able to win, but the coach I didn't want fell down. Give me my guy at HC and we will win." He couldn't go to Pegula with "We don't have the coach or talent to win." because he'd just be firing himself along with Rex.

My opinion:

All restructuring Taylor's deal did was to get some season ticket sales in.

They brought in a coach who was not on anyone's radar. Brought back a QB who has proven that he's in the bottom 3rd of the league. Let Bob Woods, Goodwin and Gilmore go.

This is a tank season. It's clear.

I'm not upset by it, although I'm not happy with it.

Averaging 7 wins/season over the last 17 years hasn't worked. They can't do any better with this roster.

So why the hell not tank? It makes perfect sense.

This year, I'll be rooting for the Bills as spoilers beginning week 1. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

So the obvious tank steps are:

1) kept the QB they acquired when they were in win now mode. Except now they know it's a tank move

2) opted not to pay an above average press man corner 14 mil/yr if a defense that plays cover3/quarters

3) opted not to extend a 12 catch/200yds per season WR

4) opted not to pay 8mil per year or top 25 money for 50 catches and 600 yds

5) oh and ditching a used car salesman for a well respected, organized up and coming coach

If this is the tank plan, it's not well designed.

The Bills are not going to tank sadly. Its another year just as the last 17 years. Bills will sign mediocre free agents as usual. Serve the fans more kool aid to drink. Have another average season. Miss the playoffs AGAIN and draft between 10 and 15th in next years draft.

This would be the year that would be ideal to tank for the Bills. We already started with a low salary cap and barely any draft picks. To go along with the 5th hardest schedule in the NFL. Not to mention that NE has really loaded up for another run at the SB.