Bills FA options at Right Tackle

Now that Wagner is gone, what should we do at RT? The draft options beyond the first round are quite bleak this year for finding a this year starter. Even the idea of experimenting by putting Glenn on the right and Kujo on the left is in doubt since we don't know how Kujo's injury may effect him when he comes back. Henderson never was that good before his health issues, and he is on suspension. Mills just was simply poor.

Is Reiff an option? He has said he wants to be a starting LEFT Tackle. Even though when he was drafted the scouts had him at RT because of his arm reach. I don't see anyone else as an option beside him.

Should we instead just look for a quality older vet for a very short term one year fix like a Vollmer or Smith (if he isn't toast from his injuries) and hope next year's draft has better depth at RT?

With a decent RT the Bills could have a top 5 OL in 2017 to protect our QB and let our run game run on all cylinders, since we have thrown in the towel on the passing game by taking the option on TT.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there some reason that this is not an option? Are they worried about hurting Glenn's feelings? I guess we don't know.

I believe it is an option--in fact it could be Plan A now that Wagner is off the market.

As to FAs, I would kick the tires on a few vets. Sebastian Vollmer would be at the top of my list if he's healthy.

That would be a shocking and upsetting situation.

This is a nightmare option. If that was the case our 2017 OL could even be worse than it was in 2016 with Mills.

Is there some reason that this is not an option? Are they worried about hurting Glenn's feelings? I guess we don't know.

Forget the Glenn feelings. The reason we want to move him to the right is the belief that Kujo can't play right because of a previous leg injury. He is not even recovered from his hip injury yet. Who knows how how will it affect his play when he comes back, and will it be compounded with the previous leg injury. It was a risky experiment before. Now the risks have been increased 10 fold.

Who are the remaining possibilities on the market for RTs?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/tackle/

Edited by simpleman

I'm nervous about RT too and think that Reiff, if he can be signed at the Sportrac valuation, would be a nice, solid pick-up.

FWIW--PFF has Reiff graded as the 7th best FA tackle slightly edging out Remmers (who we know has the Carolina tie) and is a baby-step above Jake Long (coming off an Achilles injury who was lost for the season in November) and Will Beatty (another injury risk--played 7 snaps last year after coming back from a missed 2015 season and though the Giants need o-line help too--no one mentions Beatty who was once their LT of the future). Only FA tackles left in our price range coming off decent years with significant snaps last year are Reiff and Remmers. Please get one of them signed ASAP (Ducasse seems to be a Juan Castillo reclamation project/depth guy--Jets fans were so upset he didn't pan out ).

Reiff is best remaining option and the name im hoping to hear today

I agree, but the problem is that I read in multiple places one of the major reasons be did not resign was he did not want to start at RT, but LT. He might choose to sign at LT somewhere over right tackle, even if it was slightly less. Would we even agree to that, and would he believe us?

Why should the Bills flip their top OT to the right side to accommodate a 2nd round pick who hasn't earned his way onto the field for the 2 previous coaching staffs?

Um, because it would get their best 5 on the field?

Cyrus acquitted himself nicely at LT last year...if Glenn needs to move for a year because (a) he's capable of it and (b) it gets their two best tackles on the field, what's the big deal?