Bills Need to Start Trading Down When Possible

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Patriots really are one of a kind in this league. Trying to copy their model is a recipe for disaster. If we're talking about teams to emulate, I would prefer Denver, Seattle or Pittsburgh.

Yes, they are more inclined to trade away draft picks then other teams, but I don't think they have crushed it in the draft recently. This is a team that is riding on the success of Belichick and Brady. They trade away top tier players (Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins) because they don't think they're worth the money. They get more production out of castoffs than any other team in the league. Their coach is both ruthless and a master tactician. Their players "buy in" to the system more than any other team in the league. They have remained competitive for a decade without maxing out their credit card. They have $58 million in cap space (ridiculous for a 2/3 year Super Bowl champion), and by all reports, really aren't in a rush to retain many of their free agents.

Anyway, trading down for the sake of trading down isn't really a strategy. The Bills should stick to their big board and make movements up and down based on value. The Sammy deal has not paid the expected dividends, but that doesn't mean trading up is a bad idea.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

The Patriots are really one of a kind in this league. Trying to copy their model is really a recipe for disaster.

They are more inclined to trade away draft picks then other teams, but I don't think they have crushed it in the draft recently. They also trade away players (Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins) because they don't think they're worth the money. They get more production out of castoffs than any other team. Their coach is both ruthless and a master tactician.They have remained competitive for a decade without maxing out their credit card. They have $58 million in cap space, and by all reports, really aren't in a rush to retain many of their free agents.

Anyway, trading down for the sake of trading down isn't really a strategy. The Bills should stick to their big board and make movements up and down based on value. The Sammy deal has not paid the expected dividends, but that doesn't mean trading up is a bad idea.

Having the best QB in the league and his willingness to play for 1/3rd of what he actually is worth is truly what the Pats do better than any other team. It's a major competitive advantage that allows them to do everything else they do.

Yep that's it. Saying trading a 4th for Bryce Brown and trading two 4ths to move up 8 spots in the 2nd to get Ragland equates to the Bills not being able to draft star players and only getting table scraps. You are clouding the conversation with your idiotic hyperbole.

So, what have you done about this? Have you reached out to the Pegulas to ask if you could be there, in the room on night one of the Draft, to ensure that Whaley trades down multiple times?

It's funny because before having a franchise QB, I'd sign off on trading away almost all picks for getting a franchise QB, but then once you get the guy, I would sign off on trading down almost all the time.

Either you trade everything for a sure bet to win the lottery or you accumulate as many lottery tickets as possible.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Of course I read it...the crux of the statement being that the team needs to make better use of their pick is not news, nor do I think it deserves its own thread, so I chose instead to speak to the idea of whether or not trading up/down creates additional value.

OMG, doesn't deserve its own thread. What exactly deserves its own thread? The crux of the statement is we currently have a GM that is not managing his drafts well. Apparently you missed that and wanted to dumb it down to the team needs to use their picks better and that way there is no accountability. The are several threads on this board everyday that are opinions with no data to back them up. "THe team needs to make better use of their pic is not news" seems to me to be an attempt to stunt the conversation on this topic and dissuade people from thinking more deeply about it.

So, what have you done about this? Have you reached out to the Pegulas to ask if you could be there, in the room on night one of the Draft, to ensure that Whaley trades down multiple times?

You are without a doubt going to add a lot of interesting conversation to this board, good to have you here.

I didn't realize it made people more angry when you don't acknowledge the negative they have to say, as if no one knows that the Bills need to make better decisions...

Who on the Bills needs to make better decisions?

Having the best QB in the league and his willingness to play for 1/3rd of what he actually is worth is truly what the Pats do better than any other team. It's a major competitive advantage that allows them to do everything else they do.

Absolutely, I was editing my post to include this.

Even if Brady was getting $25 million a season, the team would still have a ridiculous amount of cap space.

Overall, they find a way sign free agents & retain players at bargain contracts. You know Julian Edelman makes $4 million a season? How could any team but the Patriots pull that off?

Bills 10th overall pick is worth 1,300

Oaklands R1:24, R2:24, R3:24, and R4:23 are worth a combined 1,272 (740+340+150+42).

I say we eat the 28 points and take their first 4 picks :D

My opinion, look at Bills draft history, most guys drafted rounds 4 and later are just another guy, or a scrub. OK someone throw out there Andre Reed, a once in a lifetime

I'd trade our 2nd through 7th to move up into the top 10. HAHA like Mike Ditka

And of course none of that is happening

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I did laugh at this one:

If we had not traded away that pick to move up for Ragland, it is likely Dak Prescott would currently be on the Bills roster

Hindsight is so fun.

It was pretty well known even before the draft that the Bills liked Dak Prescott a lot, but yet again you missed the point of the post. If you Whaley nut huggers think averaging 6.5 picks in the draft per season when they give you 7 is a good strategy for building successful teams, then you do have no clue what you are talking about.

It was pretty well known even before the draft that the Bills liked Dak Prescott a lot, but yet again you missed the point of the post. If you Whaley nut huggers think averaging 6.5 picks in the draft per season when they give you 7 is a good strategy for building successful teams, then you do have no clue what you are talking about.

Who cares what was said before the draft? It was likely typical smoke and mirrors hogwash.

If they really wanted him, he'd be on the team.

Quantity of picks is not correlated to quality of selections. Do not confuse the two.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

The whole organization.

The whole organization is responsible for the number of picks we have in the last four drafts?

Yep that's it. Saying trading a 4th for Bryce Brown and trading two 4ths to move up 8 spots in the 2nd to get Ragland equates to the Bills not being able to draft star players and only getting table scraps. You are clouding the conversation with your idiotic hyperbole.

Stop acting like 4th round picks are gold. How about we see how Ragland plays before you try and predict he's not worth it. Can you please explain how you know he would have most likely been there at 49? Can you let us know what grade the teams had on him that picked in front of us? I ask because you seem to know.

Can I have "changing coaches every other year" please alex?

the issue isn't so much changing coaches, it's not making the right choices to get coaches worth keeping here. Keeping Rex around wasn't going to do anything but push off the inevitable firing after more failure.

OMG, doesn't deserve its own thread. What exactly deserves its own thread? The crux of the statement is we currently have a GM that is not managing his drafts well. Apparently you missed that and wanted to dumb it down to the team needs to use their picks better and that way there is no accountability. The are several threads on this board everyday that are opinions with no data to back them up. "THe team needs to make better use of their pic is not news" seems to me to be an attempt to stunt the conversation on this topic and dissuade people from thinking more deeply about it.

First, a suggestion: don't start threads if you're too sensitive to handle the commentary. Nearly every response you've gotten has evoked an insult from you.

Second, you posted that the team should trade down when possible. When that idea was challenged, you made it clear that the problem was mid-use of picks; I responded to that point.

It's not anyone's fault if you take the simplification of your point personally.

"Not managing his drafts well" and "needs to make use of his picks better" are the exact same idea.

So chill out, and take your own advice: read my original response and see if you actually feel like having a conversation about the topic you posted...more fun than expecting an echo chamber if wager.

Bills 10th overall pick is worth 1,300

Oaklands R1:24, R2:24, R3:24, and R4:23 are worth a combined 1,272 (740+340+150+42).

I say we eat the 28 points and take their first 4 picks :D

If we can do this, Then do it fast!!!! I just can't see the Raiders or any team doing that. Hope I am wrong. Edited by wppete