Chiefs' GM Dorsey: 2017 Draft QBs not NFL ready

I don't believe they are; I think that's exterior nonsense and that it would likely not even be under discussion if not for the Sabres recent strategy.

Yeah, it just doesn't really add up.

Been a while since tanking really made sense.

Maybe Mariotta and Winston will break the trend but it's been since Peyton Manning and McNabb were picked up 15-20 years ago that teams turned horrendous seasons into long stretches of perennial SB contention.............and both of those efforts combined yielded but 1 SB win.

The new formula is more like what was done with Roethilsberger, Flacco, Rodgers, Russell Wilson and apparently now, Dak Prescott.........build an identity and put a young QB into a situation where the team isn't far from contention.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly I don't know that physical tools really matter all that much. You need a guy that has "enough" arm, throws accurately but, by far most importantly, can anticipate and get the ball out to the correct place ON TIME. I guess if I had to rate physical tools I'd put footwork ahead of arm strength because that's one of the biggest factors in consistent accuracy. Next on the list I'd put quick release. If a guy can get it out quickly it's harder for the defense to react and it's very hard to hit him as a defense with the modern rules. Put those two physical traits together consistently accurate thrower and quick release, along with someone who can see the game and anticipate the play you just built most of Tom Brady. Find me THAT guy. I couldn't care less if his ball has a vapor trail or he can run a 4.4

But, in terms of pure talent, Mahomes is a first-round pick and the top quarterback in the class.

No other quarterback in the class has his combination of size, arm strength, deep ball accuracy and athleticism. And, with what he has displayed in regard to dealing with pressure and climbing the pocket, this is a player who should be vaulting up the draft boards following his declaration.

Do not be surprised if his name is called much earlier than expected come the first day in Philadelphia.

http://draftbreakdown.com/patrick-mahomes-ii-is-the-most-talented-quarterback-in-the-2017-draft/

Yeah, it just doesn't really add up.

Been a while since tanking really made sense.

Maybe Mariotta and Winston will break the trend but it's been since Peyton Manning and McNabb were picked up 15-20 years ago that teams turned horrendous seasons into long stretches of perennial SB contention.............and both of those efforts combined yielded but 1 SB win.

The new formula is more like what was done with Roethilsberger, Flacco, Rodgers, Russell Wilson and apparently now, Dak Prescott.........build an identity and put a young QB into a situation where the team isn't far from contention.

We're on the same page, I think we just differ on the QB they need.

Tyrod's been a nice placeholder but I think we're in an era where we need to find the kind of QB that can apply more pressure to already stressed DB's.

If Whaley can finally add that guy and one more Tackle to protect him I think this ramshackle looking cart can finally start making progress in the right direction.

But, in terms of pure talent, Mahomes is a first-round pick and the top quarterback in the class.

No other quarterback in the class has his combination of size, arm strength, deep ball accuracy and athleticism. And, with what he has displayed in regard to dealing with pressure and climbing the pocket, this is a player who should be vaulting up the draft boards following his declaration.

Do not be surprised if his name is called much earlier than expected come the first day in Philadelphia.

http://draftbreakdown.com/patrick-mahomes-ii-is-the-most-talented-quarterback-in-the-2017-draft/

Problem is the offense he played in is doing him no favors.

This was the issue with Goff who is a very gifted passer at Cal. However, the offense Goff was in didn't help his transition to the NFL at all.

No one will deny Mahomes talent, but how soon will he be able to be an impact?

Problem is the offense he played in is doing him no favors.

This was the issue with Goff who is a very gifted passer at Cal. However, the offense Goff was in didn't help his transition to the NFL at all.

No one will deny Mahomes talent, but how soon will he be able to be an impact?

That's why we get a chance at drafting him. If he was in a pro-style offense he would be gone top 3.

That's why we get a chance at drafting him. If he was in a pro-style offense he would be gone top 3.

Easy to say that, however, we have no idea of his sandlot style would translate to a po style.

Mahomes relied a lot on improve. I like the kid don't get me wrong. I think he's one of the most gifted players in the class.

However, can't say hypothetically how well he would do in that offense, because if teams thought he would be well versed in a pro style, no doubt he would be the first QB off the board.

Easy to say that, however, we have no idea of his sandlot style would translate to a po style.

Mahomes relied a lot on improve. I like the kid don't get me wrong. I think he's one of the most gifted players in the class.

However, can't say hypothetically how well he would do in that offense, because if teams thought he would be well versed in a pro style, no doubt he would be the first QB off the board.

That's what it is all about. A lot of NFL GM's sit around playing not to lose. I don't want to be the guy that took the Air Raid guy in the 1st. I don't want that Tedford system QB.

You can say that every year about the QBs. Most of them play in spread systems which means they will not be ready to start right away.

Mahommes has a phenomenal arm, his foot work is terrible, accuracy can be inconsistent, and has never read a defence in his life. The guy is a gamer though, he could be similar to Stafford if everything works out perfectly. He is not even close to being able to play this year though.

Yikes. bad footwork. He hasn't fixed that after how many years in HS and college, with all the advanced coaching that's been available to him since grade school? Look at what one of the greatest QBs ever does every off-season: he works on his footwork.

I'm sure many will disagree but I think Trubisky and Watson are better than Goff and Wentz coming out last year. I'll happily take either one if we decide to go Qb over safety or receiver.

TBH I didn't think that much of Goff and Wentz. The hype prior to draft and teams' needs caused them to rise to 1 and 2. IMO still aren't 1 and 2 tbh. Wentz showed the most promise his first season, so long as his head stays level. Problem with Buffalo QBs is, their head always get messed up everytime they get here. It's Kelly curse. Everyone expects them to be the next hero who rides in to save the town. and every QB tries to be that and can't. It's really too much for kids these days.

Edited by CanadianFan

LMAO Its going to be funny when 3 of these guys end up good starters. Enough of this BS and enough of the BS of waiting until next year, or the next, or the next for another 20 years

Classic QB fever take. There hasn't been a draft with 3 quality starters in ages. Yet you're convinced this draft, which experts consider a dud, is loaded with franchise talent. Happens every year.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Classic QB fever take. There hasn't been a draft with 3 quality starters in ages. Yet you're convinced this draft, which experts consider a dud, is loaded with franchise talent. Happens every year.

Year after year you say the same thing.

Must suck to miss out on the Winstons/Mariotas/Daks etc over and over while hamming it up for Taylor.

Losing is fun.

Year after year you say the same thing.

Must suck to miss out on the Winstons/Mariotas/Daks etc over and over while hamming it up for Taylor.

Losing is fun.

They don't want to lose their Tyrod. You know what, I get it. Most fans have never seen a real QB play for the Bills.

They don't want to lose their Tyrod. You know what, I get it. Most fans have never seen a real QB play for the Bills.

Watching Dak make 3rd and 3 plays to Beasley/Witten with ease is all I want.

Will never happen with TT's reluctance. Hit the draft.

Marrone fancies himself on par with Parcells/Belichick so it's not surprising he chose self preservation.......like them.

The habits of successful people in your field are generally good to pattern oneself after.

A first time HC taking over a team to begin a tank would be utter stupidity on both HIS and the teams part.

If you are willing to take a step back........you hire a proven guy like Tom Coughlin......who can show the disgruntled and doubting players his rings when they are getting discouraged and questioning the direction they are being taken in.

That's not to say the Bills thought the plan thru very well......they are the Bills. :flirt:

absolutely right. McDermott didn't sign on to be this year's Browns' coach.

Anyone who questions why coaches aren't willing to tank should look at SF this year. Chip Kelly isn't a normal coach, but he is not a bad coach. Yet he was fired after one season.

Edited by dave mcbride

absolutely right. McDermott didn't sign on to be this year's Browns' coach.

Anyone who questions why coaches aren't willing to tank should look at SF this year. Chip Kelly isn't a normal coach, but he is not a bad coach. Yet he was fired after one season.

If Whaley and McD are selling the Pegulas on being close I expect them both to be gone by next year.

Doesn't mean they aren't worth a pick this year; this just means you want a bridge-type QB for 2017.

So you want to waste a draft pick for a one year rookie bridge type QB? wow.

Everyone wants to develop a QB until it comes to actually doing it.

There's no such thing as developing a QB. You either have it or you don't.

If McDermott needs a 40 million dollar bridge QB to be successful than he is another bad coach we can move on from.

An iron law of the NFL: coaches need to win games to keep their jobs. They don't get any credit for being part of a tank job. I'm not even getting into the fact that tank jobs are basically faulty Rube Goldberg machines that tend to leave said teams at the bottom for a long, long time. How long were the Raiders horrible despite lots of high picks? From 2003-15, they sucked. That is a classic tank. The Rams are in the same boat. They had the number one pick last year and he appears as if he's the next version of Tim Couch/David Carr.

If Whaley and McD are selling the Pegulas on being close I expect them both to be gone by next year.

If McDermott presides over a two year regime in which 4-12 is the norm, he will be gone. That is an iron law.