Chiefs' GM Dorsey: 2017 Draft QBs not NFL ready

An iron law of the NFL: coaches need to win games to keep their jobs. They don't get any credit for being part of a tank job. I'm not even getting into the fact that tank jobs are basically faulty Rube Goldberg machines that tend to leave said teams at the bottom for a long, long time. How long were the Raiders horrible despite lots of high picks? From 2003-15, they sucked. That is a classic tank. The Rams are in the same boat. They had the number one pick last year and he appears as if he's the next version of Tim Couch/David Carr.

I agree that coaches need to win. Which is why they shouldn't be playing GM. See Pittsburgh, Baltimore. New England has BB who acts like a GM in player decisions.

And not picking up TT option isn't a tank. It could be, but one doesn't necessarily follow. The Bills are in deep trouble after "going for it" these last few years. They have lots of free agency loss, not enough young talent playing on great deals. Picking up the TT option totally handcuffs moves you can make next year.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that coaches need to win. Which is why they shouldn't be playing GM. See Pittsburgh, Baltimore. New England has BB who acts like a GM in player decisions.

And not picking up TT option isn't a tank. It could be, but one doesn't necessarily follow. The Bills are in deep trouble after "going for it" these last few years. They have lots of free agency loss, not enough young talent playing on great deals. Picking up the TT option totally handcuffs moves you can make next year.

I think it's a tank if they let him go. My hunch is that Jones stinks, and that none of the potential draftees will do much for whatever team they end up on (that isn't to say that they won't be good eventually; no one knows that). Losing with one of the McClowns (or someone similar), though, puts a losing stink on a coach that never really wears off. If they go that route, look for McDermott to be a job candidate for DC positions in 2019.

Edited by dave mcbride

We certainly agree on that!

The problem is that the structure at OBD is what it is.......until the owners clean house and bring in a matching set of executives/coaches and give them an ORGANIZATIONAL directive.......like the owner not only signing off on but mandating a focus on QB talent/development as priority #1........ then it's going to be like this and hope for the best.

That's why people like dave and I see Tyrod as the best fit.

When you hire a pretty average DC like McDermott as your HC you gotta' know that your best chance to win is with good defense and offensive production any way you can get it.

Next time they should hire a HC who can build a QB room of distinction......that is their best chance at long term winning from a scratch rebuild........defensive minds are EASY to find and defenses are quick and easy turnarounds so choosing one of those guys to take over your .500 team is like picking the low hanging fruit.

No QB is worth a first round pick. Unfortunately that means more real talent will be off the board by pick 10. Hopefully the teams ahead of the Bills panic and push the WR, safeties, and corners down.

My dream scenario:

1. Browns: Deshaun Watson

2. 49'ers: Mitchell Trubisky

3. Bears: Patrick Mahomes II

6. Jets: Deshone Kizer

Please let this happen. :ph34r:

Not your fault, but I'm really learning to hate the word "bridge" when used as an adjective for QBs.

Call him whatever you want, but I want the best QB available. If that's TT, then so be it. If we can upgrade from TT, great.

But let's not put some bum under center hoping that we'll eventually draft a franchise QB. I want DW to get us the best starting 11 on offense and defense that he can put together.

Thanks for the constructive feedback, I agree and its funny because I paused before using the often over used term before deciding to go ahead with it since it would convey the point I was trying to make which is, I don't know that there is a QB available to the Bills that can take them to a play-off game with a reasonable chance to advance further other Absent getting Romo or Brees or Rivers I want the best QB available who can fill in until they develop the next star QB.

So you want to waste a draft pick for a one year rookie bridge type QB? wow.

No I want them to thoughtfully select the best QB available to them with the hope that he is better than we all think he is right now. As an example when Seattle took Wilson, the Raiders took Carr and the Cowboys drafted Prescott. None of them had very high expectations coming out of college but all turned into pretty good QB's. They need to keep drafting QB's until they get it right.

I think it's a tank if they let him go. My hunch is that Jones stinks, and that none of the potential draftees will do much for whatever team they end up on (that isn't to say that they won't be good eventually; no one knows that). Losing with one of the McClowns (or someone similar), though, puts a losing stink on a coach that never really wears off. If they go that route, look for McDermott to be a job candidate for DC positions in 2019.

I'm putting the very early line on a return as DC in Carolina.

And when he's fired it will be the norm for the Bills HC cannery.........they are so indignant about getting fired from this "little job" that there is no exit interview. :lol:

There are less apologists here than ever now.......but the few that still are.......that act really has to leave them disillusioned.

Because the idea always is that THEY understand what the coach/organization is thinking and that guys like Rex are all-in like them.

Which they don't and they ain't.

When they get fired in NYC they go on the talk show circuit for chrissake.

But I digress....

We certainly agree on that!

The problem is that the structure at OBD is what it is.......until the owners clean house and bring in a matching set of executives/coaches and give them an ORGANIZATIONAL directive.......like the owner not only signing off on but mandating a focus on QB talent/development as priority #1........ then it's going to be like this and hope for the best.

That's why people like dave and I see Tyrod as the best fit.

When you hire a pretty average DC like McDermott as your HC you gotta' know that your best chance to win is with good defense and offensive production any way you can get it.

Next time they should hire a HC who can build a QB room of distinction......that is their best chance at long term winning from a scratch rebuild........defensive minds are EASY to find and defenses are quick and easy turnarounds so choosing one of those guys to take over your .500 team is like picking the low hanging fruit.

I agree with you on the defensive minds being easy to grab. NFL defenses you need talent. I wanted the Bills to choose a great offensive mind and QB guru in Jim Bob Cooter. Oh well, let's see what McD does at QB.

Very heartfelt, Mrs. Mahomes. But outside a mother's love there is reality. And in that reality, young Patrick will join a long line of so-so QBs bouncing around the league as backups. He'll make a good living so you won't have to worry about that. But it would be best for your emotional health if you came to terms with the fact that, in a class of deeply flawed QBs, he's not even the best of that bunch. Happy Mother's Day though.

Yungmack glad you revealed yourself about how you feel about Pat Mahomes. I won't forget that when Mahomes is going to multiple probowls and many playoff games. I was right about Russell Wilson and I think I'm right about this kid. So I will be reminding you about this post you made his whole career. Hopefully you will be man enough to admit your wrong in the future.

Yes it's a dream, no good QB's for the Bills

here is a idea, lets try and get a QB

I totally agree with this statement Mahomes 1st round, Kelly in the 6 Round. Sign the rest of your talent through free agency and the other draft picks and undrafted college free agents. You will have plenty of cap space after releasing Tyrod. Also if you don't have a QB you really have nothing. I could have a team of all stars. No QB and your not going anywhere. Give me Mahomes, Cardale Jones & Chad Kelly and let's see what happens.

All other positions can be gotten but QB's they are the hardest. Bills need to think outside the box.

Redskins did it RG3 and Cousins in the same draft. Just think if they had not taken Cousins after the debacle of there stupid coach ruining RG3 and forcing him to play injured. They messed him up something good. No RG3 deserves some of the blame, but it started with Shanahan.

Edited by billsareback