Chiefs' GM Dorsey: 2017 Draft QBs not NFL ready

There were grand comparisons to Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre but the first time I saw Mahomes play he reminded me of Matt Stafford.

That's a ceiling comparison and after 8 years Stafford has finally become a trustworthy second tier franchise QB....... but Mahomes looks and plays like the way that Stafford did at Georgia and early on with Detroit.......kind of a crap shoot win you a game with a great throw or cost you a game with dumb throws guy like him too.

That said, he's my favorite QB from this years class.......I just can't imagine giving him a starting job as a rookie and without making him battle an at least average NFL QB for the job before giving it to him.

He doesn't remind me of Carr or Prescott at all.

I am fine with taking Mahomes and letting him win the job. No need to give it to him.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know.

I'm not that impressed from what I've seen of him. Maybe he could be good. I'm just not seeing it.

I also have issues with Big 12 QB's.

I agree with you. Mahomes is getting a lot of love here and I just don't think he'll be a very good pro. I wanted to like him but came away pretty unimpressed after watching a bunch of his games.

I am fine with taking Mahomes and letting him win the job. No need to give it to him.

If you don't have a problem with him having to beat out Tyrod Taylor then we agree.

If you want a sham competition.......like EJ "competing" against a hopelessly broken down tomato can like Kevin Kolb.....or like a Hoyer/McClown brother....well that's not really competition.

Neither is Cardale Jones.......beating out Cardale just qualifies you for the next round......Braxton Miller and JT Barrett. :lol:

It's not just about proving a young QB's worth and providing a hurdle........it's also about keeping them focused on doing what it takes to win games....COMPETING.....and winning the task in front of them instead of overthinking the job with the "mine to lose" mentality.

If you don't have a problem with him having to beat out Tyrod Taylor then we agree.

If you want a sham competition.......like EJ "competing" against a hopelessly broken down tomato can like Kevin Kolb.....or like a Hoyer/McClown brother....well that's not really competition.

Neither is Cardale Jones.......beating out Cardale just qualifies you for the next round......Braxton Miller and JT Barrett. :lol:

It's not just about proving a young QB's worth and providing a hurdle........it's also about keeping them focused on doing what it takes to win games....COMPETING.....and winning the task in front of them instead of overthinking the job with the "mine to lose" mentality.

I don't want to pay Tyrod 40 million or design an offense around him.

Cardale and another comparable to Tyrod that is cheaper.

I don't want to pay Tyrod 40 million or design an offense around him.

Cardale and another comparable to Tyrod that is cheaper.

Of course you don't.......that's why I pointed out how ill conceived what you and a few others actually WANT to happen, is.

But kudos for looking out for Pegs money the way people once did with Ralph's.......gotta' save that flexibility so you can go out and pay another free agent RB $10M per year after Shady is gone. :flirt::lol:

There is simply no rational way for the Bills to spend the cap room they have coming up in the next couple offseasons.

It's a lot and they don't have many players on the roster worth big money deals the next 3 years.

They could easily end up paying MORE for less for a QB who has proven LESS effective in free agency next year while trying to save McDermott's job. :lol:

Of course you don't.......that's why I pointed out how ill conceived what you and a few others actually WANT to happen, is.

But kudos for looking out for Pegs money the way people once did with Ralph's.......gotta' save that flexibility so you can go out and pay another free agent RB $10M per year after Shady is gone. :flirt::lol:

There is simply no rational way for the Bills to spend the cap room they have coming up in the next couple offseasons.

It's a lot and they don't have many players on the roster worth big money deals the next 3 years.

They could easily end up paying MORE for less for a QB who has proven LESS effective in free agency next year while trying to save McDermott's job. :lol:

If McDermott needs a 40 million dollar bridge QB to be successful than he is another bad coach we can move on from.

If McDermott needs a 40 million dollar bridge QB to be successful than he is another bad coach we can move on from.

If two of the best coaches of recent times.....Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells.....both used Vinnie Testaverde because there weren't better options........that should be a lesson to young coaches like McDermott.

You are what your record says you are........so don't delude yourself that you are going to get cut some slack by saving the company a few bucks on a lesser QB.

Better to make them say you aren't as good as your record than to POINT OUT that your record sucked........those guys end up getting a ride back down the coaching ladder.

People who don't think McDermott can be two and done also didn't think Rex would get fired after two years either...........the "continuity" argument goes out the window when a coach loses his team.........and the honeymoon for a rookie HC whose proven nothing doesn't last very long.......ask Greggo. His lasted about two weeks and he was fighting an uphill battle against the perception that he wasn't a good HC for the rest of his time in Buffalo.

If two of the best coaches of recent times.....Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells.....both used Vinnie Testaverde because there weren't better options........that should be a lesson to young coaches like McDermott.

You are what your record says you are........so don't delude yourself that you are going to get cut some slack by saving the company a few bucks on a lesser QB.

Better to make them say you aren't as good as your record than to POINT OUT that your record sucked........those guys end up getting a ride back down the coaching ladder.

People who don't think McDermott can be two and done also didn't think Rex would get fired after two years either...........the "continuity" argument goes out the window when a coach loses his team.........and the honeymoon for a rookie HC whose proven nothing doesn't last very long.......ask Greggo. His lasted about two weeks and he was fighting an uphill battle against the perception that he wasn't a good HC for the rest of his time in Buffalo.

Yes, this is the logic that the mighty Doug Marrone used so he could play Kyle Orton. I really want a team that has a real GM, not this mess where no one knows who is making the decisions. Coaches should not be making calls on whether to play veteran QB's. If no suitable QB is found then McD should get a free one year pass from ownership.

Yes, this is the logic that the mighty Doug Marrone used so he could play Kyle Orton. I really want a team that has a real GM, not this mess where no one knows who is making the decisions. Coaches should not be making calls on whether to play veteran QB's. If no suitable QB is found then McD should get a free one year pass from ownership.

Marrone fancies himself on par with Parcells/Belichick so it's not surprising he chose self preservation.......like them.

The habits of successful people in your field are generally good to pattern oneself after.

A first time HC taking over a team to begin a tank would be utter stupidity on both HIS and the teams part.

If you are willing to take a step back........you hire a proven guy like Tom Coughlin......who can show the disgruntled and doubting players his rings when they are getting discouraged and questioning the direction they are being taken in.

That's not to say the Bills thought the plan thru very well......they are the Bills. :flirt:

Marrone fancies himself on par with Parcells/Belichick so it's not surprising he chose self preservation.......like them.

The habits of successful people in your field are generally good to pattern oneself after.

A first time HC taking over a team to begin a tank would be utter stupidity on both HIS and the teams part.

If you are willing to take a step back........you hire a proven guy like Tom Coughlin......who can show the disgruntled and doubting players his rings when they are getting discouraged and questioning the direction they are being taken in.

That's not to say the Bills thought the plan thru very well......they are the Bills. :flirt:

How is it a tank when the current roster looks like a 6 win team? It's called trying to get better. If we sign Tyrod to 40 million plus I expect McD to get fired within 3 years.

If you are willing to take a step back.....

I don't believe they are; I think that's exterior nonsense and that it would likely not even be under discussion if not for the Sabres recent strategy.

GM DORSEY Can Kiss my ARzzz or he talking out his you know what just a smoke screen.

Pat Mahomes will be a Pro Bowler mark it down

1st Take

I wrote this in another post a bout Mahomes. This guy is the best QB in the draft bar none. He will be a pro bowler down the line. He is the closest thing to Aaron Rogers and Brett Farve there is.

He makes un believable throws that are Acurate from weird angels and with bad foot work. This guy is the one you want. NFL is not like college. You don't always get a lot of clean pockets and you don't always get to set up and throw on balance or get your feet set. I want a QB that can throw on the run or throw when his feet are not correct and with people are in his face. This guy can do that in spades. Go watch him on YouTube you will see something extraordinary. Don't get fooled about the experts saying oh his foot work is bad, His back leg shakes, Blah, Blah, Blah. Watch Chargers Rivers, Watch GB Rogers these guys throw at all angels, throw with in correct foot work and throw on the move across there body all the time. Who the Fu@k cares how they throw it. Does he complete the passes yes he does. Yes you will be required to do that in The NFL. Good one's can pull it off. Well when I watch Mahomes that's what I see. So please just stop the nonsense. If we get this guy a great new Era in Bills football is about to begin.

2nd Take

Let me ask all the detractors of him, how many times does a NFL QB go back and set up and not have to move off his spot. Most times QBs end up having to move and throw off there back foot

or throw moving forward or rolling out. Playing QB in the NFL you don't have a lot of time. Go watch this kid play, watch him throw. He is doing amazing stuff. Making throws from all sorrts or bad angles of his back foot, flat footed and on the run. Most of them right on the mark. I could care less about his satistics or how many TDs he's thrown. He has started a ton of games. This guy is a leader and he has a very strong arm. He can do things most QB's can only dream about. He is Farve he is Rogers he has that gift. Keep wanting that perfect foot work and throwing motion guy. I will take this guy over that guy 10 ways to Sunday every day of the week. If we are lucky to get this guy I will be dancing in the street. I will take him with the first pick in the draft, he is that good.

3rd Take
Here is Patrick Mahomes playing against the great LSU Tigers Defense from the SEC in his Bowl Game. Just some unbelievable plays by Mahomes. These are the type of players he will be playing against in the NFL. Maybe he will have some offensive linemen to protect him. LSU is chasing him all over the field and the kid is just making plays like a Farve or Rogers would. This guy is special you can just see it, feel it and sense it. These might be his most interesting high lights because of the stud defense LSU has. This is fun to watch. It's like watching Farve in his prime

4th Take
You can't teach what Mahomes does and how he makes those throws in any of his games or in that LSU game against future NFL defenders. Only guys like Farve and Rogers and a hand full of other QB's can do that. I don't care what anyone says. I said it when the Bills passed on Russell Wilson and I say it right now.You pass on this guy your making a big mistake. I can't wait for the John Gruden QB camp thing with Mahomes. Just like the Russell Wilson one. Man you could just tell that he was going to be special. Here it is for those who missed Russell Wilson with John Gruden how do you not draft this guy after watching this

I will close By Saying this, Mahomes is the Guy I want but I like Watson a lot. Tyrod has to wait until his reciever is open before he throws it. Thats no way to play QB in the NFL. You have to throw it before they make there break and throw it over the middle, Time to move on for the Bills in my opinion.

Very heartfelt, Mrs. Mahomes. But outside a mother's love there is reality. And in that reality, young Patrick will join a long line of so-so QBs bouncing around the league as backups. He'll make a good living so you won't have to worry about that. But it would be best for your emotional health if you came to terms with the fact that, in a class of deeply flawed QBs, he's not even the best of that bunch. Happy Mother's Day though.

How is it a tank when the current roster looks like a 6 win team? It's called trying to get better. If we sign Tyrod to 40 million plus I expect McD to get fired within 3 years.

YOU say it looks like a 6 win team.

A lot of that general sentiment comes from obvious needs at lesser positions.......safeties and LB's and #2 WR and zone CB's..........that's a much shorter order to fill than needing an effective QB, a #1 WR, 2 pass rushers and a LT......PLAYMAKERS IN GENERAL....basically all the needs when Nix and Whaley took over. :lol:

If they continue to lose all those 50/50 games.......a hallmark of bad coaching........then yeah maybe they only win 5-6 games.

But this team has won 8 and 7 games the past two years..........and they SHOULD have won more......hence Whaley's PC starting off with "7-9....not good enough".

Good coaching can make a big difference..........see what Rod Marinelli has done with maybe the league's least talented defense in Dallas.

And it's probably fair to say that McDermott.......having yet to lose a game........thinks he and his staff can make a difference.

YOU say it looks like a 6 win team.

A lot of that general sentiment comes from obvious needs at lesser positions.......safeties and LB's and #2 WR and zone CB's..........that's a much shorter order to fill than needing an effective QB, a #1 WR, 2 pass rushers and a LT......PLAYMAKERS IN GENERAL....basically all the needs when Nix and Whaley took over. :lol:

If they continue to lose all those 50/50 games.......a hallmark of bad coaching........then yeah maybe they only win 5-6 games.

But this team has won 8 and 7 games the past two years..........and they SHOULD have won more......hence Whaley's PC starting off with "7-9....not good enough".

Good coaching can make a big difference..........see what Rod Marinelli has done with maybe the league's least talented defense in Dallas.

And it's probably fair to say that McDermott.......having yet to lose a game........thinks he and his staff can make a difference.

I agree that coaching is important. I just see another year of age to players on the team and heavy free agency loss. If you give Tyrod the money then you lose even more players and the team gets weaker.

6 wins is just a guess but with only 6 picks Whaley will have to really be a magician to make this team much better.