Unintended Leak of Tyrod's Future??

theesir

Bills management says a lot of things

Ok, let us say you are correct and they are lying.

Then they pay a QB 30 million that THEY DON"T BELIEVE IN?! That scares me even worse that they can't evaluate a QB.

That means they have no idea how to run a football team and are like a small kid playing Madden in GM mode.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills pay Tyrod 30 million that means Bills management believe he is the guy. The Bills mgmt said so. So please stop trying to have it both ways and middling it.

This is false and simply bad logic

And what happens when they don't pick up the current contract, but offer him a different one with a different structure?

This - but don't be discouraged by Jeff's campaign. He has presented that only two options are viable so he can knock one down and seem logical

I am not a cap guru but it's safe to assume that

1.Tyrod won't take a paycut

2.In order to reduce cap number this year we kick more money down the road, i.e. dead money later.

You're just looking for reasons to poo poo keeping Tyrod at this point. There are plenty of things that can be done to reduce his cap hit and not kill us with dead money.

Ok, let us say you are correct and they are lying.

Then they pay a QB 30 million that THEY DON"T BELIEVE IN?! That scares me even worse that they can't evaluate a QB.

That means they have no idea how to run a football team and are like a small kid playing Madden in GM mode.

didnt say they were "lying", just that circumstances can change. Maybe they meant it at the time but things changed since then. Maybe they meant it at the time and still mean it. I just wouldn't look at it as a foregone conclusion that they won't draft a QB this year. They may believe in him as the best answer for right now given the other options and what they could contribute this season, but want to get better at the position for the future. Edited by YoloinOhio

This is false and simply bad logic

This - but don't be discouraged by Jeff's campaign. He has presented that only two options are viable so he can knock one down and seem logical

You're just looking for reasons to poo poo keeping Tyrod at this point. There are plenty of things that can be done to reduce his cap hit and not kill us with dead money.

I get why you want to middle it. It's where most fans are. Let's keep Tyrod and draft a QB. Sounds fair.

I just don't think this fits how this organization works. Whaley has been here for a long time. The only time the Bills drafted a QB in the first two rounds was when Fitzmagic was cut. Whaley has been running the draft or setting up the board for the last 6 drafts. One time we drafted a QB high.

I'm torn on this because TT is one of the most fun qb's to watch in the league, and we ranked in the top half of the league in points.

Great leader, seems very level headed and calm under pressure, works hard, gives 100%, showed improved ability to avoid the big hits last year, nice touch on the long ball.

He started to show a little progress toward the end of the season in setting his feet more and keeping his eyes downfield for an extra second before scrambling last year, and if he stays I think that will be the reason why--because McDermott sees a guy that is still improving, has great instincts and is probably one of the top 10 pure athletes in the game.

The major issue is field vision. The bills receivers and TE's were open more than they get credit for last year. In reviewing the All 22 it's hard to give Tyrod more than a C- for finding the open man at the right time. Sanjay Lal alluded to this on a Murph interview once, and the film seems to support this.

So our new OC Dennison is known for a QB friendly system which would likely move TT under center, with a lot less shotgun/pistol stuff. He will probably push for a simplified passing system, and bigger, durable WR's that are easier to see than guys like Goody. That's why I think Corey Davis is our guy in the 1st round, the best WR in the nation with Julio Jones type potential.

I'd feel OK with Trubisky at 10 or maybe Mahomes on a trade down, but I think 2018 is the year to take a QB for us.

How much of it was Tyrod not having chemistry with guys being shuffled in and out of the lineup. Did he trust those guys to get open and be where they were supposed to be. Tyrod looked much better the year prior with some consistency at the WR position. Plus I believe the creativity in the passing game was lacking and it has been noted in the past that Roman's scheme was very predictable and basic.

With Sammy not being healthy for the majority of the year who else was there to take the pressure off. Don't say Clay because he looked slow as dirt last year and I am concerned about the long term knee issues he continues to have. I would be looking to upgrade the TE position as I believe Clay is going to keep declining. Tyrod has his flaws and I don't believe he is a Franchise QB but until you hit on one can't get rid of him yet.

Now if the team is willing to commit to rebuilding and tearing the whole thing down I wouldn't be against it. Let Tyrod and Gilmore walk then start the purge by cutting high priced veterans. Sign a cheap veteran qb to back up and mentor Cardale who gets to audition for 16 games. If we bottom out it puts us in a good position to draft a quality QB but like anything there are no guarantees. However, it may be what this Franchise needs to do while McDermott re-builds team with his core group of guys.

Like I said....There will always be posters on this board that will care more about being right then the team itself

That is def you

Nonsense. It's a Bills board, quit knocking everyone over with your omnipresent Pom Poms.

If he was a good qb we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Like I said....There will always be posters on this board that will care more about being right then the team itself

That is def you

This may be the case. After all, I like most of you have been a fan all of my life. But enough is enough. Why continue down the road of mediocrity? Haven't we traveled this road long enough?

and if we do, whats gonna be your excuse mick dirt?

I will gracefully say I was wrong, and let you all pelt me with I told you so's.

Edited by DirtDart

I think the whole idea of this "Tyrod fanboy" you speak of is a classic strawman, created by a handful of posters on here. Case and point, I myself have been accused of being a fanboy but what I am, in actuality, is a realist. Tyrod Taylor is definitively a starting caliber NFL QB. If he doesn't start for us, he's starting for someone else. He's probably around the 20-25th best QB in the whole world. While he is frustratingly slow with his progressions and often times needs to get rid of the damn ball, he is also fairly accurate, avoids the big mistake (really any mistakes), he's the most dynamic running QB in the league and he's proven that he can put points on the board. That's what he is. Has he hit his ceiling? I don't know, maybe. But it's a fair argument to question whether or not they're gonna do any better right now. And to be honest, I'm not sure there's many posters out there who are any higher on him than that. So let me ask you this: am I a fanboy?

And I agree with you about him not picking apart defenses and coming back from two TD's but I totally disagree with you about us being mediocre with him or as a result of him. I think everyone on this website would agree that we would have ended our playoff drought by now if we had the 2013-14 defenses the last two seasons. I think Rex damaged this defense more than maybe you realize.

I can promise you my friend that my statement was directed at no one in particular, just a general grouping. I agree with some of what you say as well. He is fairly careful with the ball, avoids mistakes for the most part, and he is a dynamic running threat. This however is the NFL and not THE Ohio St. University. The guy throws a pretty deep ball as well I will add. Can we make the playoffs with a much improved defense? Sure, we should be able to. Can we win a SB with Tyrod? Sure, If we somehow find an early 2000's Ravens or Buccaneers type defense residing in Buffalo. I also understand the lack of options this year as far as FA and the draft goes. Who is better for us right now? Idk. I just feel that Tyrod's flaws are those that can't seem to be corrected. I hope I'm wrong. I hope it was the system if we are keeping the guy, but the tape is there. He doesn't see the open guy many times. He doesn't throw over the middle much. He waits for his guy to be open instead of throwing them open. He either can't read the defense or trust what he is seeing out there. He gets flustered in the pocket at times when there is no one there. He can be wildly inaccurate on the short to intermediate throws. He's not consistently making the plays needed with his arm to get those 3rd and 6 or 3rd and 8 first downs which prolong a drive giving our defense a rest. A lot of 3 and outs going on. Is this ALL his fault? Of course not, but he does shoulder a fair amount of the load.

I can promise you my friend that my statement was directed at no one in particular, just a general grouping. I agree with some of what you say as well. He is fairly careful with the ball, avoids mistakes for the most part, and he is a dynamic running threat. This however is the NFL and not THE Ohio St. University. The guy throws a pretty deep ball as well I will add. Can we make the playoffs with a much improved defense? Sure, we should be able to. Can we win a SB with Tyrod? Sure, If we somehow find an early 2000's Ravens or Buccaneers type defense residing in Buffalo. I also understand the lack of options this year as far as FA and the draft goes. Who is better for us right now? Idk. I just feel that Tyrod's flaws are those that can't seem to be corrected. I hope I'm wrong. I hope it was the system if we are keeping the guy, but the tape is there. He doesn't see the open guy many times. He doesn't throw over the middle much. He waits for his guy to be open instead of throwing them open. He either can't read the defense or trust what he is seeing out there. He gets flustered in the pocket at times when there is no one there. He can be wildly inaccurate on the short to intermediate throws. He's not consistently making the plays needed with his arm to get those 3rd and 6 or 3rd and 8 first downs which prolong a drive giving our defense a rest. A lot of 3 and outs going on. Is this ALL his fault? Of course not, but he does shoulder a fair amount of the load.

This whole "he can make the playoffs but not win the super bowl" talk is LOCO

We have not made the playoff in over FIFTEEN YEARS....and we are worried that our QB cant win the last game of the year?

Really?

We have not made the playoff in over FIFTEEN YEARS....and we are worried that our QB cant win the last game of the year?

Really?

I don't agree John I think part of the reason we haven't made the playoffs in 17 years is we have spent too much time trying to make the playoffs.

By that I mean too much short term thinking about "if we just get this...." and "if we just tweak that..." rather than blank sheet of paper "how do you build a Championship team?"

I don't agree John I think part of the reason we haven't made the playoffs in 17 years is we have spent too much time trying to make the playoffs.

By that I mean too much short term thinking about "if we just get this...." and "if we just tweak that..." rather than blank sheet of paper "how do you build a Championship team?"

Shout it from the mountaintops!

Really?

Why? Because you say it is? The playoffs are cool. We haven't been in a long time. We all know this. What is the ultimate goal? Is it not to win a championship? Isn't that the goal of all sports franchises? You think the Pegula's just want to make a few one and done trips like the Bengals? To quote Herm Edwards, "You play to win the game." Period. That includes the ones that REALLY count if your team has been fortunate enough to get there.

This is absurd

They should be trying to win games period....win enough games and you make the playoffs.......if things fall right and you are healthy enough when you get to the playoffs then you give yourself a chance to get to the final game

Dont overthink it

Can't wait for the weekly excuse threads John.

Why? Because you say it is? The playoffs are cool. We haven't been in a long time. We all know this. What is the ultimate goal? Is it not to win a championship? Isn't that the goal of all sports franchises? You think the Pegula's just want to make a few one and done trips like the Bengals? To quote Herm Edwards, "You play to win the game." Period. That includes the ones that REALLY count if your team has been fortunate enough to get there.

This is all stupid im sorry but it is

Just win games....the end result will be the same.

To say a qb can get you to the playoffs but not win the last game of the season is absurd......it takes more then one player to get to that final game

This is absurd

They should be trying to win games period....win enough games and you make the playoffs.......if things fall right and you are healthy enough when you get to the playoffs then you give yourself a chance to get to the final game

Dont overthink it

They constantly sacrifice long term gain to stave off short term pain. Not sure you can argue that.