Reggie Ragland to DL?

with McDermott preferring a 43 with quick and agile LBs, Ragland seems to be poor fit. But what if he was switched to Defensive line?

He has the size to play DE right now and if that doesn't work for him it wouldn't take much to bulk up to be a 3T inside pass rusher.

I figured this would come up. It always does when you have heavily invested-in young players who look like bad fits.

Remember the people talking about moving Maybin to TE or even safety for chrissake? :lol:

Ragland is going to make or break at LB........he's been credited as a decent pass rusher for an ILB....but that's more about being timely when blitzing.......he's not a pass rushing down DL.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured this would come up. It always does when you have heavily invested-in young players who look like bad fits.

Remember the people talking about moving Maybin to TE or even safety for chrissake? :lol:

Ragland is going to make or break at LB........he's been credited as a decent pass rusher for an ILB....but that's more about being timely when blitzing.......he's not a pass rushing down DL.

The Rex hire set this franchise back by years. Not only were time and personnel wasted to satisfy his schematic needs but his sloppy coaching was going to sabotage what he wanted to do. His players were never going to be able to handle what he wanted his defense to do because he wasn't adept enough to modify it to suit his players. Rex was too self-absorbed to realize that over-thinking a problem is just as bad as under-thinking a problem.

The new coach has his own system and is going to teach it. But I'm confident that he will be flexible enough to modify it to better suit the talent on hand.

Rex probably feels that he wasn't given enough time to right the ship. The reality is that his tenure was never going to be successful with him at the helm.The owner/s made a damaging mistake in hiring Rex. To his/her credit they acted rather quickly in correcting a mistake and firing Rex sooner rather than later. Can you imagine if the owner would have waited for his contract to expire before jettisoning him?

My comment isn't so much about reprising the Rex issue as it is in pointing out how mistakes made when making important decisions have a compounding effect that sets back a franchise struggling to get to the starting line.

Edited by JohnC

This was a Rex pick 100%. The rest of the NFL passed on him because he was a great college player who does not fit in the NFL. A different mold but the same idea as a Michael Sam or Dat Nguyen or Tim Tebow. Completely wasted Rex ego pick.

And you know he was a wasted pick, How ?

How can anyone state confidently that Ragland is a "misfit" who can't play LB in the NFL? Move him to DE? Can FA just begin already so we can stop this nonsense?

I prefer the nonsense actually.

Edited by r00tabaga

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I think we should give Ragland a chance to get on the field before we make any determinations about his abilities.

Instincts are way, way more important than being able to run 40 yards really fast in a straight line. Let's see what he can do first instead of just looking at his combine numbers and determining what he can or can't do from that.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

This was a Rex pick 100%. The rest of the NFL passed on him because he was a great college player who does not fit in the NFL. A different mold but the same idea as a Michael Sam or Dat Nguyen or Tim Tebow. Completely wasted Rex ego pick.

He was drafted in the 2nd round and if it wasn't the Bills would have been another team. That's why they traded up in the round. He is not the same as Sam or Nguyen or Tebow at all.

Ragland is going to be a beast at MLB. This is nonsense. Preston Brown will be his backup, Spikes is gone. The real question is who are our other 2 LB's?

yep

I think we should give Ragland a chance to get on the field before we make any determinations about his abilities.

Instincts are way, way more important than being able to run 40 yards really fast in a straight line. Let's see what he can do first instead of just looking at his combine numbers and determining what he can or can't do from that.

Instinct is how he made plays. If his foot speed is slower, he made up for it with anticipation.

How does Ragland seem a poor fit.....we haven't see the defense ...we haven't seen Ragland play.....he's not a DL either

Seriously. I dont understand how people dont understand this.

I guess stuff like this is good for off season discussion

it wont happen

Ragland is pretty good in zone coverage....which is a staple of McD's defense....then of of course he brings the ability to knock the stuffing out of of folks

cannot teach instincts

This too. As long as Reggie recovers fully things should be fine.

I guess stuff like this is good for off season discussion

it wont happen

Ragland is pretty good in zone coverage....which is a staple of McD's defense....then of of course he brings the ability to knock the stuffing out of of folks

cannot teach instincts

Don't forget, Preston Brown is a sharp cookie. How is he doing lately ( 2 years) ?

signed

Devils advocate

It is pretty dissapointing that Preston could not continue to improve after his rookie season.......I thought we had something there in the rookie year

I agree. I expected more from him. be very interested to keep my eye upon in this system. If they do not trade him that is.

Let the guy get on the !@#$ing field.

so thats a no ? to the trade?

Edited by 3rdand12