Watson is a Franchise QB

Mikie2times

I think drafting him would set us back another 5 years.

What set us back was drafting EJ, then completely ignoring to draft another QB in an attempt to spare "his feelings". And I don't want the drafting of a guy who was benched in college doing the same. You keep drafting till your convinced you got your guy. Worse case scenario is we end up like the Skins with Cousins.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This team has more holes than a Mongolian Brothel.

Do you have pix?

Never mind.

Seriously though, with the rate that we let decent players walk we are always drafting to fill the same holes over and over. Once Gilmore and Woods walk we will have our annual need for a big time WR & shut down CB. We always need 2 at Oline. Losing Gragg and Tyrod will leave TE and QB empty. Safety (is there anyone standing?), Pass rush (good bye Lorenzo and Jerry); and LB, (goodbye Zach B). We could easily replace both kickers. Nothing ever gets fixed and stays fixed. The only spot we get right year after year is the Long Snapper.

What set us back was drafting EJ, then completely ignoring to draft another QB in an attempt to spare "his feelings". And I don't want the drafting of a guy who was benched in college doing the same. You keep drafting till your convinced you got your guy. Worse case scenario is we end up like the Skins with Cousins.

I agree. You have to keep drafting QB's. I just don't like any of them enough this year to do so with a first round pick.

I agree. You have to keep drafting QB's. I just don't like any of them enough this year to do so with a first round pick.

I keep coming back to this too. I'm not in love with any of these QBs, but I do like several of them to varying degrees. Sometimes the thing you need most just isn't there to be had.

• Does he have the right physical tools? Height/Arm Strength specifically? Watson checks out in both areas at 6'3 and has a good arm. He's also athletic, so give a him a small plus
  • Has he shown he can dominate competition? I'm looking for a guy that showed he can take his program to levels it never reached before or for a very long time. It had been 35 years since Clemson won a National Title. They went to the National title back to back seasons. Clemson was very talented but Watson was the catalyst.
  • How effective can he perform against elite competition and in big games? Alabama is about the closest thing a college QB will see compared to NFL talent and scheme. He faced them back to back years in the National Title. Against Alabama his numbers are staggering. Comp % 64.1, 7 TD, 1 INT, 412 YPG.
  • Clutch? Winning a National Championship after having a large deficit, driving the length of the field and scoring on the final play clutch? Yes...
  • Can he throw in the middle of the field and the can he throw WR's open? He does a very good job in both areas. He throws the intermediate routes over the middle as well as anybody in college football. He also let's his guys make a play on the ball with back shoulder and jump ball throws

We can talk about things he has to work on. Guys certainly not perfect. He has to adapt more to the NFL game and get better with footwork and accuracy. I see his career starting out with high production and high turnovers. Many of the great ones do. Then as years progress completion % will rise and the INT's will decline. He has "IT", whatever that is.

I think there has been mass overthink on the kid because he has been talked about as a possible top 5 pick since 4 or 5 games into last year. When you go and look at the tape it stacks up. He has better film than both Goff and Wentz had this time last year.

If he is there at #10 I believe the Bills should pick him.

He isn't accurate, his receivers make him look good and the dominant roster surrounding him makes him look even better. Unfortunately, the quality available in the draft at QB is not determined by how badly we need one. Mahomes is a much better long term prospect.

Except for, Dak, Winston, Mariota, Luck.

do they have superbowls i'm unaware of? and dak had a top 5 scoring defense. i actually advocated for drafting him earlier in the thread. but for him to be successful quick i think we could have the recipe...big run game, and a defense that could be great if it gets back to 2 years ago. no pressure for watson coming in.

He isn't accurate, his receivers make him look good and the dominant roster surrounding him makes him look even better. Unfortunately, the quality available in the draft at QB is not determined by how badly we need one. Mahomes is a much better long term prospect.

I disagree very strongly.

do they have superbowls i'm unaware of? and dak had a top 5 scoring defense. i actually advocated for drafting him earlier in the thread. but for him to be successful quick i think we could have the recipe...big run game, and a defense that could be great if it gets back to 2 years ago. no pressure for watson coming in.

Can you not be a successful good QB without a Super Bowl?

Cam Newton also had a crappy defense his rookie year.

What an unsuccessful QB. Only broke virtually every rookie QB record and won MVP in his 5th year. Sucks that he was ruined by that first year defense.

Can you not be a successful good QB without a Super Bowl?

What an unsuccessful QB. Only broke virtually every rookie QB record and won MVP in his 5th year. Sucks that he was ruined by that first year defense.

Big ben didn't exceed taylors passing yards from last year until his 3rd year. They won the superbowl in spite of him. Brady had top defenses in his first few years when he won 3 rings. Russ wilson would be a backup somewhere if it wasn't for the defense. Some guys are can't miss guys. We need to make sure he develops by having the big defense so he doesn't come in and just get killed week after week.

I know you believe that defenses have little to no effect on games but they do.