• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll gamble on the elite intangibles.

Tebow#2?

Yea but we need a qb though.

2018 Draft. Get on there.

I think Buffalo needs to worry more about getting a safety than they do drafting a QB with the 10th pick. Just because he's a great college talent doesn't mean it's going to translate to the NFL.

I'm with you on this. Tyrod can hold down that position for 2 more years.

Great college quarterback. That greatness is extremely unlikely to translate to the NFL. Sorry.

I agree. When you analyze a guy coming out of college you have to look at his style of play. It's more important to look at things like footwork,accuracy,ability to a defense, and other similar abilities than it is to solely look at how successful their college team was. I think that far too many people

are caught up in the incredible success that Clemson had. This causes them to overlook Watson's major flaws. I can't stand it when people talk about the national championship game performance. That means nothing as far as Watson being a successful pro. Just look at a list of national championship winning QB's.

When you analyze a guy coming out of college you have to look at his style of play. It's more important to look at things like footwork,accuracy,ability to a defense, and other similar abilities than it is to solely look at how successful their college team was. I think that far too many people

are caught up in the incredible success that Clemson had.

Yep. That's what I've looked at.

I honestly believe if his play from the pocket was totally unchanged from what it is but he never ran and stood there like a statue people would be less critical. People see a Quarterback who can make plays with his legs and presume he hasn't got the poise and accuracy from the pocket. My evaluation is that Watson has both. He isn't a slam dunk a la Luck or Winston or Mariota but he is in that next bracket of QB prospects to my eyes.

I honestly believe if his play from the pocket was totally unchanged from what it is but he never ran and stood there like a statue people would be less critical. People see a Quarterback who can make plays with his legs and presume he hasn't got the poise and accuracy from the pocket. My evaluation is that Watson has both. He isn't a slam dunk a la Luck or Winston or Mariota but he is in that next bracket of QB prospects to my eyes.

I see him as a weird hybrid of both of those guys actually. But I also didn't think either of them were slam dunks, so maybe our evaluations are similar :lol:

People see what they want to see. I see a cousins/mariota hybrid.

Ball comes out fast and he's decisive. The wheels are just a big plus.

People do see what they want to see. That's the beauty of evaluating prospects. I see a guy who played on a team with athletes who were a mismatch against every oppenent they faced. Clemson had too much speed for opposing defenses to stop them. Mike Williams was an absolute beast who was unstoppable. This gave Watson far more room for error than he'll get in the pros. Once he's in the NFL issues such as ball placements and deep ball accuracy will begin to negatively affect him. All of these subtle issues were hidden at Clemson because the team was vastly superior to their opponents. This is of course just how I see it.

I believe that the NFL lacks good QB's so badly that we are even seeing the scouts overlook major flaws far more often. In the past I don't believe a guy like Watson (or any other 2017 draft QB) would have been viewed as a top 10 pick. Necessity has been creating desperation in recent drafts.

I see him as a weird hybrid of both of those guys actually. But I also didn't think either of them were slam dunks, so maybe our evaluations are similar :lol:

I did think Winston and Mariota were slam dunks. I actually had Mariota graded just ahead but I had them as the 2nd and 3rd best players in the whole draft I'd have happily taken either one at #1 overall.

I agree Watson is a hybrid of the two. I think he is a slightly less polished Mariota with a dose of Jameis's gunslinger mentality. Daniel Jeremiah said last week he thought 11 of Watson's INTs were on poor decisions (trying to force the ball into tight windows). I didn't count them but that aligns broadly with what I saw in my evaluations. It is much more decision making than accuracy that I see as the flaw. Winston had the exact same issue his final year at Florida State. He has thrown picks in the pros too... I'm sure Watson will as well.... but Winston is well on his way to being a franchise Quarterback despite that and I think Watson has the potential to do the same.

I did think Winston and Mariota were slam dunks. I actually had Mariota graded just ahead but I had them as the 2nd and 3rd best players in the whole draft I'd have happily taken either one at #1 overall.

I agree Watson is a hybrid of the two. I think he is a slightly less polished Mariota with a dose of Jameis's gunslinger mentality. Daniel Jeremiah said last week he thought 11 of Watson's INTs were on poor decisions (trying to force the ball into tight windows). I didn't count them but that aligns broadly with what I saw in my evaluations. It is much more decision making than accuracy that I see as the flaw. Winston had the exact same issue his final year at Florida State. He has thrown picks in the pros too... I'm sure Watson will as well.... but Winston is well on his way to being a franchise Quarterback despite that and I think Watson has the potential to do the same.

Would be interesting if they brought back TT AND drafted Watson

Might not be a bad way to go

Except for, Dak, Winston, Mariota, Luck.

So FC- I've got a pretty good idea of where you are on Bills QBs. Curious if you're actually sold on Mariotta?

He's another one of those guys I view as not so terribly different from TT in overall QB performance, but also not a bonafide undisputed long term solution either... at least not yet seemingly

So FC- I've got a pretty good idea of where you are on Bills QBs. Curious if you're actually sold on Mariotta?

He's another one of those guys I view as not so terribly different from TT in overall QB performance, but also not a bonafide undisputed long term solution either... at least not yet seemingly

The key difference with Mariota is that he's 23, not 27. He doesn't have 7 years of NFL coaching and experience. And Mariota is still relatively cheap, and will be for 3 more years.

Mariota is well on his way to franchise status if he isn't already there, IMO. He's got mobility, but he makes more and better throws than TT. That and throwing more TD's in the the last 2 years, taking less sacks etc etc without the benefit of the #1 rushing attack puts him squarely above TT.

I'm right with you. This is my guy, hope he falls to 10

If he is your guy, you move up and don't hope at #10. Teams at 1, 2, 3, 6 all need franchise QBs, and a couple other teams could trade up ahead of #10. It only takes one of those teams to agree with you that he is a franchise QB for him not to be available.

I don't think he is a sure enough bet to move to the top, but I would be looking hard at what it would take to get 3,4, or 5 rather than see him taken by the Jets or have the Texans or Broncos or whoever trade into the top 10. All the other pieces are there, that if you think the two biggest franchise QB qualities (accuracy and decision making) can evolve and become strengths, you definitely want him on your team. If you have reservations about him developing those qualities you worry he is the next Vince Young and won't be able to succeed in the NFL as he did in college.

But I have greater doubts about Tyrod developing those two missing qualities, so in my perfect world we keep Tyrod, and trade up to the top five to get Watson, and let Watson learn over his first season, and then figure out where we are and the best course of action after next season, likely trading or cutting Tyrod and playing Watson in year two if he has progressed how we hope.

The key difference with Mariota is that he's 23, not 27. He doesn't have 7 years of NFL coaching and experience. And Mariota is still relatively cheap, and will be for 3 more years.

Mariota is well on his way to franchise status if he isn't already there, IMO. He's got mobility, but he makes more and better throws than TT. That and throwing more TD's in the the last 2 years, taking less sacks etc etc without the benefit of the #1 rushing attack puts him squarely above TT.

FWIW 4+2=6, unless you're counting this offseason which hasn't actually begun yet...