Watson is a Franchise QB

Mikie2times

On the cam thing I think that was the panthers just staying true to their board.....which I think we should do as well.

Im not saying dont draft a qb......im saying that REACHING for a qb like the year we took EJ would set this team back even further (and yes I think these qbs are better then that draft)

Myself...im a Mahonnes guy with the understanding that he should not start year 1

because we dont know that he is

Lot of talent on that team around Watson...you gotta figure that in as well

We all need to stop complaining EJ. If anything, it was a good thing because they at least took a chance and even picked up a pick to get him. But let's not get a new qb and give him a qb coach/ OC who only has Syracuse on his resume.

I am one of the last EJ fans on the planet but Watson and EJ's resumes aren't even comparable. I like Mahomes too and have no problem playing a new guy if they show enough strides in camp and OTAs. Are we just going to go through another 8-8 and 7-9 spinning our wheels with Tyrod?

Play a young guy and hope he is the next Dak, who no one thought we be half as good as he turned out. And if a young guy isn't good, hopefully we hit rock bottom and get in position for a stud qb in next year's draft.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So then take the best QB prospect at 10, not necessarily Watson, would be your argument?

If the bills felt that was being true to their board......im on board

It is not what I personally would do.....I would take the best WR or Safety at 10.......or trade down (corey davis is my guy at 10)

Then trade UP to get Mahonnes

restructure TT's contract.....with the idea that Mahonnes holds the clipboard in year 1

If the bills felt that was being true to their board......im on board

It is not what I personally would do.....I would take the best WR or Safety at 10.......or trade down (corey davis is my guy at 10)

Then trade UP to get Mahonnes

restructure TT's contract.....with the idea that Mahonnes holds the clipboard in year 1

The last thing the Bills should do is trade up. If anything, they should draft down if hey liked Mahomes.

The last thing the Bills should do is trade up. If anything, they should draft down if hey liked Mahomes.

the closer you get to the end of the first round the less you have to give up.....and you have filled a major need on the team with a very good player.

Like I said though...its all about staying true to their board. If they feel they can get comparable talent later then trading down is the right thing to do.

Its not always that easy though.....remember teams were trying to fleece us to trade down last year?

the closer you get to the end of the first round the less you have to give up.....and you have filled a major need on the team with a very good player.

Like I said though...its all about staying true to their board. If they feel they can get comparable talent later then trading down is the right thing to do.

Its not always that easy though.....remember teams were trying to fleece us to trade down last year?

I generally agree with everything you posted John. But my point is far too often, the Bills don't place enough value on qbs. Plus with the salary cap and the draft, you can pick another guy if you draft one that flops. You just need to have a better coaching staff in place than when we drafted EJ.

I had a friend who literally would talked to every girl in a bar when he was single. His reasoning was one yes equals a good time. The Bills are the guys who sit in the corner and hope some girl comes up to them. You gotta make it happen captain.

I generally agree with everything you posted John. But my point is far too often, the Bills don't place enough value on qbs. Plus with the salary cap and the draft, you can pick another guy if you draft one that flops. You just need to have a better coaching staff in place than when we drafted EJ.

I had a friend who literally would talked to every girl in a bar when he was single. His reasoning was one yes equals a good time. The Bills are the guys who sit in the corner and hope some girl comes up to them. You gotta make it happen captain.

When you draft a QB in the first round you are marrying them for at least three years, not just having a "good time" for a night. BIG difference.

I honestly don't get the Watson and Mahomes love here. These guys are the "run around and make stuff happen" type of QBs which rarely ever translates to the NFL game. I know the temptation is there because of the athleticism and competitiveness, but it just doesn't work in the NFL where you need such precision of all parts on offense. You need the QB to drop back, read the defense, and deliver the ball accurately where it's supposed to go. You need him to be just elusive enough to give himself an extra second or two sometimes. You don't need him running all over the field, and in turn having frustrated receivers never getting any semblance of a passing offense with a solid foundation. Yes, these players are exciting, but it only seems to work well in college, not the pros. For the guys wanting these run around QBs, why will it be different with them? Can you imagine them picking one of these guys and then clearly having a much better QB prospect staring them in the face with their first pick in the 2018 draft? I can totally see this happening.

Just play Jones, who's "Rothlesburger" style of play has a clear path to success in the pros. Plus, you aren't married to him. You get a year engagement, and if it doesn't work out there seem to be high quality pro style QBs in the 2018 draft.

Edited by 1billsfan

When you draft a QB in the first round you are marrying them for at least three years, not just having a "good time" for a night. BIG difference.

I honestly don't get the Watson and Mahomes love here. These guys are the "run around and make stuff happen" type of QBs which rarely ever translates to the NFL game. I know the temptation is there because of the athleticism and competitiveness, but it just doesn't work in the NFL where you need such precision of all parts on offense. You need the QB to drop back, read the defense, and deliver the ball accurately where it's supposed to go. You need him to be just elusive enough to give himself an extra second or two sometimes. You don't need him running all over the field, and in turn having frustrated receivers never getting any semblance of a passing offense with a solid foundation. Yes, these players are exciting, but it only seems to work well in college, not the pros. For the guys wanting these run around QBs, why will it be different with them? Can you imagine them picking one of these guys and then clearly having a much better QB prospect staring them in the face with their first pick in the 2018 draft? I can totally see this happening.

Just play Jones, who's "Rothlesburger" style of play has a clear path to success in the pros. Plus, you aren't married to him. You get a year engagement, and if it doesn't work out there seem to be high quality pro style QBs in the 2018 draft.

wouldnt it be nice if C. Jones actually worked out? Would solve everyones problems.

I really kinda developed a no homo man crush that play he shrugged off that lb trying to tackle him in the pocket like it was his little brother

1) So, lets say that somehow, every other team that needs a QB ahead of us, doesn't pick Watson..... what does that tell you? This point was brought up by someone else. Either we are brilliant or we're just hoping to get a younger less expensive TT. By the way I'm not actually impressed with Watson tape.

2) So we get a QB..... who is he throwing to? Oh no one? Great, Cool, sounds awesome.

3) Have you seen our safety position? Like really looked at it..... it might be the worst set of safeties in the league.

4) We do need another QB though and i'm all for Patrick Mahomes. Guy can literally throw from any position and his shiftiness in the pocket is really impressive. Who gives a **** about his back leg.

5) Wouldn't mind trading down if we pick up say, a second second round pick. Otherwise we're looking at Safety or WR at 10

Watson is the QB in this draft and isn't close. He's probably the best prospect at QB since J.Winston. His tools are good but his best characteristic is he's a winner. He has a good chance to be a winner in the NFL.

Mahomes, Webb, Kelly and Kizer are all guys with exciting skill sets but haven't won a lot. They could develop into productive QBs but if history is any indicator, they won't win near as many games as Watson.

Trubisky is interesting because of the stats he put up and how he didn't turn the ball over. He could be a good player down the road but I'm not sure how much better of a team UNC was with him at QB in 2016 than they were with Williams in 15.

• Does he have the right physical tools? Height/Arm Strength specifically? Watson checks out in both areas at 6'3 and has a good arm. He's also athletic, so give a him a small plus
  • Has he shown he can dominate competition? I'm looking for a guy that showed he can take his program to levels it never reached before or for a very long time. It had been 35 years since Clemson won a National Title. They went to the National title back to back seasons. Clemson was very talented but Watson was the catalyst.
  • How effective can he perform against elite competition and in big games? Alabama is about the closest thing a college QB will see compared to NFL talent and scheme. He faced them back to back years in the National Title. Against Alabama his numbers are staggering. Comp % 64.1, 7 TD, 1 INT, 412 YPG.
  • Clutch? Winning a National Championship after having a large deficit, driving the length of the field and scoring on the final play clutch? Yes...
  • Can he throw in the middle of the field and the can he throw WR's open? He does a very good job in both areas. He throws the intermediate routes over the middle as well as anybody in college football. He also let's his guys make a play on the ball with back shoulder and jump ball throws

We can talk about things he has to work on. Guys certainly not perfect. He has to adapt more to the NFL game and get better with footwork and accuracy. I see his career starting out with high production and high turnovers. Many of the great ones do. Then as years progress completion % will rise and the INT's will decline. He has "IT", whatever that is.

OMFG enough of this Johnson/Losman/Manuel/Watson NONSENSE. We already have Cardale Jones on the roster, a guy who has the same talent that Watson has but needed more time to get up to speed on the pro level. Why waste a perfectly good pick that high? We have a golden opportunity to improve our team in vital areas and pick up a veteran QB.

OMFG enough of this Johnson/Losman/Manuel/Watson NONSENSE. We already have Cardale Jones on the roster, a guy who has the same talent that Watson has but needed more time to get up to speed on the pro level. Why waste a perfectly good pick that high? We have a golden opportunity to improve our team in vital areas and pick up a veteran QB.

I'm with you. I don't know if the comparison of Watson to Losman and Manuel is fair though. Losman and Manuel were both guys who anyone who knew about much about football would have said they weren't going to amount to much. Neither one of those guys showed much of anything in college to indicate they had the ability to be franchise QB in the pros. Watson has done a lot in college. This is why so many people on this forum love him. The scouts are split on their opinion on Watson. Not too many experts had Losman or Manuel as first round picks, until the Bills reached for them. With that said, I'm not a Watson fan at all. I think drafting him would set us back another 5 years.