Brady has had an easy time in the AFC East his whole career

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd argue they did play a whole game. The problem was NE ran off was it 90 something plays which is more like a game and a half of plays. Right around the time NE rad over 60 plays which is a normal game the Atlanta defense disappeared.

Been meaning to mention this since last night - at one point (in the 3rd quarter, I believe) the announcers said "The Falcons have only run 33 Offensive plays, that's unheard of!" (or something like that).

As soon as I heard that I thought "oh man, that means the Pats have run 400 Offensive plays and eventually they're going to start HITTING on things." Turns out they did...

Regarding this thread, I would put it opposite - the rest of the AFC East has had a hard time with Brady his entire career. The only reason I put it that way is because I think Brady would have an easy time in ANY division! The fact that he's going to have to start sizing up fingers on his other hand next year is testament to that...

This is nonsense. Flacco's postseason record and wins vs Manning/Brady are on the books.

Belicheck cheated Flacco out of another sb appearance with illegal plays when Flacco was busting them up again.

You sound like Harbaugh. The plays were LEGAL.. he just didn't know about them... so in other words he didn't do HIS JOB!

You sound like Harbaugh. The plays were LEGAL.. he just didn't know about them... so in other words he didn't do HIS JOB!

The Patriots stretched the rule book on having the RB report as ineligible/eligible. The RB was supposed to report to the ref that he was an eligible receiver in enough time so the ref could tell the defense the RB is an eligible receiver. The Patriots in this specific game were telling the ref right before the ball was snapped which didn't give the ref enough time to tell the defense, which is why Harbaugh got P.O.'d and took a 15 yard penalty for coming onto the field. In that offseason, the NFL changed the rule so the Patriots and the rest of the league couldn't stretch that rule again.

Been meaning to mention this since last night - at one point (in the 3rd quarter, I believe) the announcers said "The Falcons have only run 33 Offensive plays, that's unheard of!" (or something like that).

As soon as I heard that I thought "oh man, that means the Pats have run 400 Offensive plays and eventually they're going to start HITTING on things." Turns out they did...

Regarding this thread, I would put it opposite - the rest of the AFC East has had a hard time with Brady his entire career. The only reason I put it that way is because I think Brady would have an easy time in ANY division! The fact that he's going to have to start sizing up fingers on his other hand next year is testament to that...

If the AFC East had some other very good QB's since 2001, I can see the Patriots having fewer AFC East division titles. Granted, they would still have more than anyone else in the division, but it wouldn't have been a cake walk for them like it has since 2001. If the Jets had a very good QB during their two AFC Championship games instead of Sanchez, they probably would have went to the Superbowl and possibly won one or both. If the Bills had a very good QB when they had two years of having the #2 defense in the early 2000's and when they had the #4 ranked defense under Schwartz, they could have went deep in the playoffs.

He's made the postseason 6/9 seasons in the NFL. Went 5 years straight in his first 5 years in the NFL. In a division with two other perennial playoff teams.

It may be time to stop posting.

"He" made it. Nothing to do with the front office or coaches or 52 other players. It was just him.

The OP is spot on, and we have to look at nothing other than some basic facts to prove the point. In the 16 years that we're talking about, how many times have the Patriots had an offense that was really good, or both an offense and defense that were top-10 in the NFL? The answer is 14 years. Only in 2002 and 2005 did we see a Patriots team still with a good offense, but a fairly average defense. In 2002 they didn't make the playoffs and in 2005, they lost the Divisional playoff to the Broncos. For the rest of the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins COMBINED, there were only 2 such teams over the course of 16 years. That would be the 2004 Bills with Bledsoe and the 2009 Jets with Sanchez that had the #1 defense in the NFL. That is a staggering, almost mind-numbing difference. The Patriots are there 87.5% of the time under Brady. The rest of the AFC East gets it done only 4.2% of the time. Very very painful indeed.

(Eye roll) youndo know you just proved me right? Since they made them Illegal the next year, they were LEGAL that year. What's so difficult to understand here?

Diff is Flacco owns your arse. Congrats on being a perpetual line crosser who gets fined and loses draft picks.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

The OP is spot on, and we have to look at nothing other than some basic facts to prove the point. In the 16 years that we're talking about, how many times have the Patriots had an offense that was really good, or both an offense and defense that were top-10 in the NFL? The answer is 14 years. Only in 2002 and 2005 did we see a Patriots team still with a good offense, but a fairly average defense. In 2002 they didn't make the playoffs and in 2005, they lost the Divisional playoff to the Broncos. For the rest of the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins COMBINED, there were only 2 such teams over the course of 16 years. That would be the 2004 Bills with Bledsoe and the 2009 Jets with Sanchez that had the #1 defense in the NFL. That is a staggering, almost mind-numbing difference. The Patriots are there 87.5% of the time under Brady. The rest of the AFC East gets it done only 4.2% of the time. Very very painful indeed.

It's no wonder why the Pats have had such an easy time in division.

When I was looking up the Pats record vs the AFC East, I came across the following article from a couple of years ago which is along the subject of this thread: http://archive.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2014/10/the_end_of_incompetence_the_patriots_dominance_in.html

"He" made it. Nothing to do with the front office or coaches or 52 other players. It was just him.

Well I thought your argument was that he sucks and doesn't make the postseason a lot. Now it's changed to "it wasn't just him!!!!"

So to recap. Makes the postseason 66% of the time. 2-1 W/L when there with a greater than 2:1 TD/INT ratio and career numbers in the games that matter most.

Are you still digging in on that ludicrous 1 year fluke argument?

Edited by FireChan

Well I thought your argument was that he sucks and doesn't make the postseason a lot. Now it's changed to "it wasn't just him!!!!"

So to recap. Makes the postseason 66% of the time. 2-1 W/L when there with a greater than 2:1 TD/INT ratio and career numbers in the games that matter most.

Are you still digging in on that ludicrous 1 year fluke argument?

Flacco has certainly sucked in the last two seasons. That's not even arguable. And his poor play has hurt his team's chances at making the playoffs. His last good season was under Kubiak/Dennison in 2014.

He's not elite. He was elite once - in the 2012 postseason. Does a four-game run make him forever elite in your eyes? He's capable of playing at that level but to be elite you need consistency and he's never been consistent.

But my argument was never "he sucks and doesn't make the postseason a lot." My argument is it takes more than a quarterback to be good and there aren't many (if any) divisions with two elite quarterbacks. That's been my point since my first post in this thread.

Flacco has certainly sucked in the last two seasons. That's not even arguable. And his poor play has hurt his team's chances at making the playoffs. His last good season was under Kubiak/Dennison in 2014.

He's not elite. He was elite once - in the 2012 postseason. Does a four-game run make him forever elite in your eyes? He's capable of playing at that level but to be elite you need consistency and he's never been consistent.

But my argument was never "he sucks and doesn't make the postseason a lot." My argument is it takes more than a quarterback to be good and there aren't many (if any) divisions with two elite quarterbacks. That's been my point since my first post in this thread.

Flacco had a bad knee injury in 2015, which usually takes time to recuperate from. The only QB that's had no noticeable side effects from a knee injury has been Brady. It took years off of Carson Palmer's career and altered Culpeper's career as he was never the same.

And your argument about Flacco being good for one postseason is a terrible one. Here are the Ravens stats before Flacco's knee injury: In 2008, Flacco's rookie season, the Ravens finished 11-5 (2nd in the AFC North) and lost to a divisional rival [steelers] in the AFC Championship game (went 2-1 in the postseason). 2009, went 9-7, beat the Patriots in the Wild Card game and lost the following week (1-1 in the playoffs). 2010, 12-4 in the regular season, 1-1 in the postseason. 2011, 12-4 in the regular season, 1-1 in the postseason, lost in the AFC Championship game. 2012, 10-6 regular season, 4-0 in the playoffs, Superbowl champions. 2013, 8-8, missed the playoffs. 2014, 10-6 regular season, 1-1 in the postseason. So, the Ravens under Flacco went 72-34 during that time period, 10-5 in the post season, three AFC Championship appearances and one Superbowl victory. Back to the original topic, the Ravens did this while mostly finishing 2nd in the AFC North (finished 1st in the division once).

Flacco has 4 less wins and 8 less losses than Peyton in the postseason. Was Manning elite?

I won't argue Flacco is the picture of consistency, but he's the truth with a bad season or 2.