Super Bowl LI thread

YoloinOhio

Shanahan's and by extension Quinn's game management skills are highly suspect for not running threw straight times after Julio's catch that gave them 1st and ten from the NE 22 when a FG essentially wraps the SB win up for ATL. I will never understand what they were thinking.

They were over thinking. They wanted to put a TD up. The Falcons wanted a blowout score and that greed bit them in the ass.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shanahan's and by extension Quinn's game management skills are highly suspect for not running threw straight times after Julio's catch that gave them 1st and ten from the NE 22 when a FG essentially wraps the SB win up for ATL. I will never understand what they were thinking.

I kept hearing afterward from Falcons players (i.e., Ryan) that their style was to attack and that the plays seemed right at the time. That approach is the OPPOSITE of situational football, in which you deliberately abandon your trademark style because of three core factors: time remaining, score, and field position. A FG would have won the game without question. Unbelievable.

Edited by dave mcbride

And the thing is after the sack there was still a 53 yarder available to them. They should have got back in the huddle said "okay... no holding" and just run a a dive up the gut. It might have got them a yard or two but would have taken another 30 seconds and allowed them to try the field goal.

Then after the holding call I was screaming "draw play" at my tv.... run the draw there and worst case you take 40 seconds off the clock before you punt. Best case scenario you might get 7 or 8 yards back and leave Bryant a long FG attempt.

That they threw three times on 2nd down and then on both runnings of 3rd down was inexcusable game management.

Edited by GunnerBill

I kept hearing afterward from Falcons players (i.e., Ryan) that their style was to attack and that the plays seemed right at the time. That approach is the OPPOSITE of situational football, in which you deliberately abandon your trademark style because of three core factors: time remaining, score, and field position. A FG would have won the game without question. Unbelievable.

No disputing this at all. They cost themselves a Super Bowl Title.

@ZachKleinWSB

Those who spoke with Kyle Shanahan last night at Falcons team hotel tell me he said "I blew it" #SB51SB51_emoji.png

C3_gH0HUcAI9WJy.jpg

And the thing is after the sack there was still a 53 yarder available to them. They should have got back in the huddle said "okay... no holding" and just run a a dive up the gut. It might have got them a yard or two but would have taken another 30 seconds and allowed them to try the field goal.

Then after the holding call I was screaming "draw play" at my tv.... run the draw there and worst case you take 40 seconds off the clock before you punt. Best case scenario you might get 7 or 8 yards back and leave Bryant a long FG attempt.

That they threw three times on 2nd down and then on both runnings of 3rd down was inexcusable game management.

I must be odd, I say on a 53 yard FG attempt you punt. Because if you miss it you give them a short field or if they block it they could get the game tying TD. (It's not like the Falcons O was scoring a lot that game 21 points is a bad game for them..)

I must be odd, I say on a 53 yard FG attempt you punt. Because if you miss it you give them a short field or if they block it they could get the game tying TD. (It's not like the Falcons O was scoring a lot that game 21 points is a bad game for them..)

On the flip side you have Brady on your opponents sideline. The Falcons showed no signs of be able to stop him at that point. Everyone on earth knew if the Pats got the ball back they would likely score. The Pats also still needed to convert a two point conversion. At that point I'm not thinking it makes a difference if the Pats start at their own 10 or around the 43 if you miss a field goal. Make the field goal and the game is over. NFL coaches do a terrible job of feeling the momentum of games. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

On the flip side you have Brady on your opponents sideline. The Falcons showed no signs of be able to stop him at that point. Everyone on earth knew if the Pats got the ball back they would likely score. The Pats also still needed to convert a two point conversion. At that point I'm not thinking it makes a difference if the Pats start at their own 10 or around the 43 if you miss a field goal. Make the field goal and the game is over. NFL coaches do a terrible job of feeling the momentum of games.

Agreed, I blame the first play call when Ryan got sacked.. the next one IMO was the right one the only problem is the lineman DDT Long for the holding call lol. (It was so blatant it HAD to be called.) thankfully a game the refs did NOT make a difference. (Although I did make a mess when they called the penalty on the Pats on the blocked extra point.. )

Edited by PatsFanNH

The Pats' postseason game that compares most to this one is their improbable playoff victory over SD after the 2006 season. They had no business winning that game. Remember Marlon McCree's INT on a fourth down play that should have sealed the game? I watched that game with a SD-raised Charger fan. Brutal.

Edited by dave mcbride

Branch played extremely well yesterday. There is a reason he was a first round pick, and he's clearly a guy affected by team culture.

Just think if Darius was subjected to the Patriot boot camp? He would either be one of the best DTs in the league or he would be due to lassitude quickly dispatched from that team due.

The Pats' postseason game that compares most to this one is their improbable playoff victory over SD after the 2006 season. They had no business winning that game. Remember Marlon McCree's INT on a fourth down play that should have sealed the game? I watched that game with a SD-raised Charger fan. Brutal.

Yup, another time where the other team was stupid and unaware of their situation. All McCree had to do was fall down on the ground after catching the ball and that game is over. That's it, but he couldn't manage to accomplish that feat.

If Seattle hands the ball to Lynch and Atlanta runs 3 times from the NE 22, today we're talking about Belichick/Brady's 4th consecutive SB loss. :wallbash:

And when that day come I will be on here telling you all what a great game that was!

feel free I will being enjoying are wins Mwuhahaha

Just might be the greatest game I've ever seen. I knew the comeback was on at halftime with the prophets of doom proclaiming Brady as dead. They really should know better.

did you stay up the whole game?

Attached link of the highlights of the game. There were countless great throws and some extraordinary catches by the receivers. James White was a difference maker in this game.

A side note: Alan Branch is a talented player who has a tendency to get lazy and slide back. That's what happened during his stay in Buffalo. He goes to the Pats where there is a rigorous standard and little toleration for a lack of effort and discipline. He was an anchor lineman in this game and all season. He came up with the critical fumble. If you watch him you will notice him constantly pushing the pile backwards.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/02/06/video-top-plays-super-bowl-li/

that should be the case here now. GO McDermott!!!

@NFL

Miss any #SB51SB51_emoji.png commecials? Don't you worry. We've got you covered with this handy link: http://on.nfl.com/sSb2TT

C4AdlKiW8AQW3fE.jpg

One of the better commercials

Yup, another time where the other team was stupid and unaware of their situation. All McCree had to do was fall down on the ground after catching the ball and that game is over. That's it, but he couldn't manage to accomplish that feat.

If Seattle hands the ball to Lynch and Atlanta runs 3 times from the NE 22, today we're talking about Belichick/Brady's 4th consecutive SB loss. :wallbash:

The Seattle and Atlanta games definitely take the cake though. It's one thing for a player to make a boneheaded poor situational play, it's another for the coaches to be that dumb.

The Seattle and Atlanta games definitely take the cake though. It's one thing for a player to make a boneheaded poor situational play, it's another for the coaches to be that dumb.

Wasn't the Atlanta coach the OC for Seattle who called that play 2 SB AGO?

that should be the case here now. GO McDermott!!!

I agree. The hiring of McDermott was a recognition by the owner that he needed a dramatic change of environment from the previous regime. Not only did I like the hire but I also liked McDermott's hiring of assistants. There should be more structure, discipline and accountability. He certainly has a base scheme that he favors but more importantly he realizes that you have to adjust your schemes to the talent you have on hand.