Malik Hooker had two surgeries = no combine, 4-6 months

YoloinOhio

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup. guy has the knack for making plays. like a better eric berry.

That's high praise.......Eric Berry is a great player.

That said, despite his ability and his legendary status in that community......Eric Berry is a safety........so the Chiefs haven't exactly been falling over themselves trying to give him a long term contract.

If he were that level of QB, pass rusher, receiver or CB would he be playing on a franchise tag?

This is a problem you run into when you draft less valued positions with your early picks.

That's why Jairus Byrd and Andy Levitre were dubious picks.........when you already know that there will be occasional busts and flameouts......you really need to get more than 4-5 years out of your early picks when they pan out.

That's high praise.......Eric Berry is a great player.

That said, despite his ability and his legendary status in that community......Eric Berry is a safety........so the Chiefs haven't exactly been falling over themselves trying to give him a long term contract.

If he were that level of QB, pass rusher, receiver or CB would he be playing on a franchise tag?

This is a problem you run into when you draft less valued positions with your early picks.

That's why Jairus Byrd and Andy Levitre were dubious picks.........when you already know that there will be occasional busts and flameouts......you really need to get more than 4-5 years out of your early picks when they pan out.

If they watched our safety play for a while, they might change their minds! Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone (and you have scrubs like ours instead!).

Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) compared him to Earl Thomas - I think that's pretty accurate

Coverage wise for sure, tackling and run support? Not so much IMO. Thomas was a very good tackler coming out, took better angles and was much more of a sure tackler coming out of Texas.

Edit: I do think Hooker can improve in those area's and become Earl Thomasesque.

Edited by P51

Coverage wise for sure, tackling and run support? Not so much IMO. Thomas was a very good tackler coming out, took better angles and was much more of a sure tackler coming out of Texas.

fwiw when they make the comparisons they do it with "what is this college player's ceiling in the NFL" = NFL player name. So he sees his ceiling as Earl Thomas. Could be 2-3 years from now following experience and development. This is a very raw player not unlike his former teammate Darron Lee, who was a HS QB and played LB for only 2 years of his football life, and drafted at age 20. Edited by YoloinOhio

if he drops to 10, it is a no-brainer. Big talent at a need position. Let's hope he drops. Hooker will make more of an impact than anyone else we can find @ 10.

You are very likely to be wrong about that.

And it certainly depends on who is there at 10.

Hooker is a different type of talent. He is one of the top 5 talents in this draft IMO. He is definitely still raw but his ceiling is sky high. If he would have participated in the combine his stock would have continued to rise. He is just a "different" athlete.

If you can watch video of him where you can see the whole field it is mind-blowing to see the ground he covers. He doesn't have the polish of Adams but he is as good a playmaker in the secondary as has come in for a while (maybe Pat Pete). I am on board at 10 but think that Whaley will hesitate to pull the trigger on a guy that just had surgery.

Hooker is a different type of talent. He is one of the top 5 talents in this draft IMO. He is definitely still raw but his ceiling is sky high. If he would have participated in the combine his stock would have continued to rise. He is just a "different" athlete.

If you can watch video of him where you can see the whole field it is mind-blowing to see the ground he covers. He doesn't have the polish of Adams but he is as good a playmaker in the secondary as has come in for a while (maybe Pat Pete). I am on board at 10 but think that Whaley will hesitate to pull the trigger on a guy that just had surgery.

I honestly hope that doesn't sway him. Get his status checked out, confirm he should be fine, then get value. He should be fine in plenty of time. Hell, even if he missed a month but was truly a stud, TAKE A STUD WHEN YOU CAN! Maybe that's just me. A lot of people freaked out on that last season..... (NOT saying Shaq is a stud, but was a terrible pick because he missed some time. But you know what? He got fixed!)

I honestly hope that doesn't sway him. Get his status checked out, confirm he should be fine, then get value. He should be fine in plenty of time. Hell, even if he missed a month but was truly a stud, TAKE A STUD WHEN YOU CAN! Maybe that's just me. A lot of people freaked out on that last season..... (NOT saying Shaq is a stud, but was a terrible pick because he missed some time. But you know what? He got fixed!)

Totally different situation when the player will be healthy before training camp. I'd be delighted with Hooker at 10.

Totally different situation when the player will be healthy before training camp. I'd be delighted with Hooker at 10.

I think that is more than fair Barley (and a little lost on some). It is possible that Hooker is fully healthy by the same date that Lawson had his surgery (5/23). Hooker has a 4-6 month recovery time and that would be at 4 months.

• 4 weeks later...

If he's there at 10, you take him and never look back. Of course the fans will roast Whaley and company for taking yet another injured player, but I hope Whaley wouldn't let that sway him. Hooker is some kind of rare athletic talent.

If he's there at 10, you take him and never look back. Of course the fans will roast Whaley and company for taking yet another injured player, but I hope Whaley wouldn't let that sway him. Hooker is some kind of rare athletic talent.

I would love it. We actually might get real torches and pitchforks show up at 1 bills drive.