Hey Bills fans

Ice bowl 67

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That picture is crazy wow!! How much snow is that?

I think one of those years, 1977?, BFLo recorded 199". And they were bellyaching here in Chicago back in 2014 because we were approaching the Chicago record of around 89" set in 1978. LMAO!

Syracuse AVERAGES 120" a year... BFLo AVERAGES in the 90" range. Chicago around 35" & people in Chicago were complaining back in 2014? How much snow this year in Chicago? We had snow the first week of January and the next snow was only a few inches last week.

Then...

BFLo also utilizes the least amount of snow removal equipment per mile than cities that average less than half the amount of snow per year... Like Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, etc...

'77. Mind boggling amounts of snow.

The actual "Blizzard of 1977" only produced under 20" of NEW snow. ;-)

in 77, there was a storm that dumped a bunch of snow on us, but the lake to the west was frozen at the time so it collected on the lake too

then the crazy winds started and it blew all the snow off the lake onto buffalo. so although the snow totals weren't biblically high for a blizzard, the drifts were nothing short of amazing.

there are some insane pictures of the wall of blowing snow heading towards the city out there.

I was young but I remember the first floor of our split level house was dark for days, and I remember our mom worrying about us getting near the telephone wires as we played in the snow

on our neighbor's second story roof.

Oh... And IceBowl67... There is a reason why the Potawatomi would spend the summers up in the Door County area and then get out of Dodge and didi down to the southern tip of Lake Michigan for the winter months! ;-) ;-)

I was with my son skiing up @ Lutsen Mountain in mid-January... Up in The Arrowhead of Minny, about 80 miles from Thunder Bay, Ontario... It was around -30 below, actual temp. If I was Native American back in the day... I'd say: "Phuck that noise, we are packing up and moving for the winter... Heading south!" I don't know how to say that in Iroquois... But I bet it is something like: "Burr! This wigwam is coooold!"

Oh... This pic was from the Keweenaw when we were there last August:

post-1877-0-06941500-1490314362_thumb.jpg

I can't compare snowfall with Buffalo, but in Feb 2011 tulsa got hit by back to back record snowfalls (30 inches, or so) and set a state record (just north of us) at -31F. True blizzard cobditions. It was colder that day here than the north pole. Needless to say, the city was crippled.

https://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/today-tair-min-grad.png

I have to add: the following summer, oklahoma set a record for the highest avg temperature (daytime nightime avg over 1 months) of any state ever. I think it was something like 88 degrees avg day/night . I can't find a link.

And state record rainfall for the year.

Oh yeah, flooding, tornados, earthquakes, drought and wild fires.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.newson6.com/story.aspx%3Fstory%3D16421167%26catId%3D112042&ved=0ahUKEwiW8Pb8-O3SAhUqj1QKHYwzCGgQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNEasep4WYCd8-I50dfOLOANlIF2xw

2011 sucked weather wise, but if I remember correctly, fishing was great!

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

I think one of those years, 1977?, BFLo recorded 199". And they were bellyaching here in Chicago back in 2014 because we were approaching the Chicago record of around 89" set in 1978. LMAO!

Syracuse AVERAGES 120" a year... BFLo AVERAGES in the 90" range. Chicago around 35" & people in Chicago were complaining back in 2014? How much snow this year in Chicago? We had snow the first week of January and the next snow was only a few inches last week.

Then...

BFLo also utilizes the least amount of snow removal equipment per mile than cities that average less than half the amount of snow per year... Like Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, etc...

It is true that "fresh" snow was a miniscule part of what got dumped on the city & surrounding area. It was all the friggin' snow that HAD been sitting on Lake Erie that was suddenly in everyones' yards that was the far bigger issue.

this one because it's not over yet...i reserve the right to change my opinion next year and/or the year after that and/or the year after that.....etc

In everyone's lifetime what is the worst winter you guys have ever seen in the area you live in? What is the coldest and most snow you have seen? The worst winter here was easily 2013-2014, we got dumped on with 94 inches of snow for the whole season but also we had subzero temps every night from Late November almost till Late March! To add to the misery we had a snowfall in April that year and we still had chunks of ice left on the shoreline tell May! The second was 1995-96 that year we had 77.5 inches of snow, not nearly as much as 2014 but we had the most brutal artic blasts that year even worse then 2014. 2014 had way more days below zero but in 1996 when it got cold, it got really cold. In early February of that year it got down to 27 below zero without the windchill in Green Bay! Also the winter started in early November and it wouldnt give up till early May! I remember my cousin got married that year in Late April and we had an inch of snow that day. Then April 30th we had another inch of snow so the winter was super long and never ending! I also remember to the north of us in Upper Michigan in Sault Ste Marie they got hit with a 60 inches of snow in one snowfall in early December of 1995 and they had to call in the national guard! I wasnt alive to remember the winters of the Late 70s but my Dad tells me he lived in Minnesota at the time and he said they were brutal! How bout everyone else?

I remember too in 2012 it was 84 degrees already in March in Green Bay! I remember it cooled back down a week later in the 40s and people were crying over the cold weather. I was like we're in the 40s in March and that is still above normal!

Exiled I've been there. That's on the way to Copper Harbor. They got 390 inches of snow an all time record in 78-79. I was up there last in 2013 in August and it was 57 degrees and we were cold! I don't know how anyone lives up there.

It is true that "fresh" snow was a miniscule part of what got dumped on the city & surrounding area. It was all the friggin' snow that HAD been sitting on Lake Erie that was suddenly in everyones' yards that was the far bigger issue.

Yep... Lake froze exceptionally early that season in early December 1976. Shut the Lake effect machine off, that huge bubble (what they are calling polar vortex now) of arctic air just wouldn't budge... Funneling more brutal blasts down. In rides a strong jetstream system and you have blowing snow on steroids!

I remember too in 2012 it was 84 degrees already in March in Green Bay! I remember it cooled back down a week later in the 40s and people were crying over the cold weather. I was like we're in the 40s in March and that is still above normal!

Exiled I've been there. That's on the way to Copper Harbor. They got 390 inches of snow an all time record in 78-79. I was up there last in 2013 in August and it was 57 degrees and we were cold! I don't know how anyone lives up there.

That whole month of March was exceptionally warm for the upper midwest!

Don't get me talking about Lake elevations, Lake Michigan water levels... Those hard freezes in 2014, 2015 after warm events really enabled the Middle Lakes to bounce back nicely for the first time in almost 20 years...

...I was up in the Apostle Islands in August 2014 and the locals were saying ice was still dropping from the Sea Caves well into mid-July!

If one were in the Donner Party, I guess one would have to say the winter of 1846-1847.

That has to be the ultimate. Just look at this winter... Did I catch something like 300" Yes... That's 25 FEET fell in the High Sierras in around a month's time or so. 25 FEET IN A MONTH?

These were trees stumped by the Donner party. That is how high the snowpack was.

Donner_tree_stumps2.jpg

Then...

What fuels Syracuse's huge amount of snow? It seems to be too far away from Lake Ontario?

Syracuse rides on the coattails of the Tug Hill Plateau which is about 15-20 miles north of the area but still part of the Syracuse SMSA, kind of like how east aurora is part of the Buffalo snow totals while being a similar distance away and in the perfect path of lake erie lake snow bands

What fuels Syracuse's huge amount of snow? It seems to be too far away from Lake Ontario?

Syracuse rides on the coattails of the Tug Hill Plateau which is about 15-20 miles north of the area but still part of the Syracuse SMSA, kind of like how east aurora is part of the Buffalo snow totals while being a similar distance away and in the perfect path of lake erie lake snow bands

Hey, I'm not trying to find out about your adolescent masturbatory techniques, I just wanted to know why Syracuse gets so much snow...

Blizzard of 1993 was the worst I can remember growing up in Auburn. We didn't even get the worst of it, and I think we got close to 4 feet of snow in less than 48 hours. The city was pretty much shut down for 4-5 days following. I remember having to deliver newspapers during and after the storm. Brutal.

The 77 storm was a doosy. I remember shoveling out the day after. We had 4 feet of snow. I think I was 12 at the time.

For recent years here in NH we got hit hard in 2014-2015. So bad that I was using a roof rake about 5-6 times. It wasnt just one big storm but just about every 1-2 weeks we had at least 6-10 inches of new snow. The gun club where I run a junior rifle team matches we had to delay the start of the match when the BOD determined that they had to clear the 3-4 feed of hard packed snow from the roof or risk collapse. Me and several of the junior shooters were on that roof with shovels getting the snow down.