Dear Jerry

CanadianFan

You actually didn't need to realize that, because that's not what I said, you dope.

http://nesn.com/2017/01/chris-hogan-passes-deion-branch-with-record-setting-game-for-patriots/

Perhaps you were unaware he set a postseason franchise record for the Pats. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm still waiting for you to explain how one really good game for the Patriots* is indicative of a season's worth of lost production in Buffalo.

Did you see how open he was ALL game? I mean I think Hogan is an above average WR but my God ANY competent WR would have had the same success since the Steelers didn't cover him the entire first half.

It's all good. He'll twist into a pretzel to disagree with just about anything.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be a big Jerry Sullivan fan. I have to admit that his act has worn thin over the years. I laugh every time I read one of his columns and see the word "dubious." I have grown tired of his incessant bashing of anyone and everyone associated with Buffalo sports, particularly the Pegulas. Yes, they have made some mistakes, such as the Rex Ryan hire, but they are truly great owners with deep pockets who want to win a championship as badly as we all do and they will keep working at it and throwing resources at it until it happens. All that aside, I agree with Jerry on this one. I don't see it as a huge mistake, but the bottom line is that we should have kept Chris Hogan. He's a good wide receiver and a good football player. He's not great, but he was our 3rd WR and a good one in that role and playing with a great QB like Brady is allowing him to show his talents on a big stage. Had we given him the "mid-range" tender offer, any team that signed him as a Free Agent would have had to give the Bills a 2nd round draft pick. It would only have cost the Bills an extra $600-$700K to do that, which is a small amount of money in NFL terms. How much did we shell out to worthless Percy Harvin? I'm sure more than $700K, and for nothing. Good teams find a way to keep good players. Again, I am not taking about GREAT players, which is a different conversation altogether, but good, solid players who can contribute to the team. Hogan is one of those types of players. Had we made the mid-tier tender offer, we either would have kept a solid contributor on the roster, or we would have received a 2nd round pick from the Pats. Either way, we would have been better off than the way it turned out, and at a relatively minimal cost.

Edited by msw2112

I'm still waiting for you to explain how one really good game for the Patriots* is indicative of a season's worth of lost production in Buffalo.

Did I say that either?

Are you talking to the voices in your head?

Dear Jerry,

When you start writing balanced, nuanced articles, I might start reading you.

When you start providing your readers with useful, inside information, I might start reading you.

When you start writing articles that help me develop a better understanding of the Bills the their players, I might start reading you.

When you stop whining and complaining, I might start reading you.

In the meantime, I just have to interest in anything you have to say. When I've read your articles in the past, your columns brought me neither joy, hope, insight, or new information. So I don't waste my time any more.

Sincerely,

~ Bills fan in Seattle

He's playing in the Patriots system and has Tom Brady throwing to him. Of course he's going to look great. That's the Patriot way Jerry!! We all saw this coming the moment he signed with them - way before it occurred to you it would be like that for him.

Most accurate statement in TBD history.

I don't miss Hogan, but there's no doubt that Lil Doug botched the WR corps. It was pretty obvious in training camp, when one Hall-of-Fame nitwit in here said don't worry, we have Hankerson lol.

Gotta look at the big picture, any article that furthers the "Lil Doug is a chump" storyline can only be a good thing.

That was Hogan's biggest game as a Patriot because that's how the Pats gameplan. Take their least used player and make them the focus. That's why Hogan was so wide open. The Steelers never imagined he'd be the guy, because he never was before. It would be like making Walt Powell the guy in a Bills game.

IMHO there's no question that the Bills would have had a better roster at WR if they'd have kept Hogan.

OTOH, if the Bills had given Hogan a higher tender or if they'd matched the Pats $5M offer, we just know there would have been a column about the Bills overspending for a mediocre WR who drops critical balls.

It's really simple.

Bills had crappy WR's for most of the year.

They let a WR go for $700k and no compensation

Said WR puts up numbers that would've led the team, both in yards and TD's.

Said WR puts up a record-shattering playoff game performance in the second biggest stage in the NFL and almost singlehandedly wins them the game (as singlehandedly as any WR can win one, obviously the QB needs to throw it)

And he does this all with a division rival that has buried us for almost 20 years.

If you think anyone is going to "shut up" about that, you're delusional.

Maybe next time use your eyes.

Your point being...?

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/26/hogan-emergence-crowning-insult-bills/

Hogan's "emergence"? Honestly? One freak playoff game and Jerry's calling him the next coming of Jerry Rice? "crowning insult"? Did the Pats steal the Superbowl appearance from the Bills because they took this WR from them? Oh yeah, that's a no Jerry. "N" "O" Jerry, put it together. This was no robbery.

Sullivan should be FIRED. He has no JUDGEMENT. Was Hogan even worthy of consideration as a pro-bowl alternate? And who got a pro-bowl start? Lorenzo Alexander. Are raiders nation crying about it? Cardinals? Or the perpetually mediocre despite the dollars spent Washington Redskins? Do you think they'd love to have the tackles and sacks LA had this past year? How about Jerry Hughes? Are Pats lamenting the loss of this talent? Heck no.

Hogan is a marginal talent at best. On a team that's known for not paying for talent (see Jamie Collins) Hogan's production this past year must be a disappointment for the dollars they paid him - 6th highest paid Pat in terms of cap. 38 balls for 680 yards, in a year when Gronk was missing most of the season. That's 15% of total receiving production. Or 11% of total offensive production. and you gave your 6th highest salary for this? Ouch! For a stingy team this has to hurt.

Heck any turtle with hands would have caught the 40 balls Hogan caught from Brady. Heck Jerry (Sullivan, not Rice) could have caught those 40 balls. So this was a win Jerry. We shafted Pats by forcing them to pay for Hogan.

Honestly, in a season of near-miss disappointments, Hogan was the least of the issues.

And oh yeah, Jerry, Hogan's old news. That was a week ago Jerry. Might as well have been last century.

Get over it Jerry. Time to move on. Hogan's a marginal talent. Players like him come and go faster than sailors making port calls in the NFL. I had to go dig up that analogy from 19th century you ancient anachronism. That ship's sailed. Got that one Jerry?

Cheers!

You nailed it.

That was Hogan's biggest game as a Patriot because that's how the Pats gameplan. Take their least used player and make them the focus. That's why Hogan was so wide open. The Steelers never imagined he'd be the guy, because he never was before. It would be like making Walt Powell the guy in a Bills game.

He was the week before vs Houston. 4 catches 95 yards. Guess Tomlin was too busy shaming Antonio Brown all week to notice.

Anyway, it's always fun to see the complete psychic meltdown on this board after every predictable Jerry Sullivan article. It's like groundhog day over here.

He was the week before vs Houston. 4 catches 95 yards. Guess Tomlin was too busy shaming Antonio Brown all week to notice.

Anyway, it's always fun to see the complete psychic meltdown on this board after every predictable Jerry Sullivan article. It's like groundhog day over here.

With the Pats o it is def pick your poison. But they at least could have covered him. Lol