Roethlesberger sounds like he has one foot out the door...

Big Turk

On a Pittsburgh radio station said he is not committing to returning next season and is contemplating if he wants to continue playing taking into account everything with his health, future health, family ,etc and wants to make sure its the right decision whichever way he ends up...

That would be devastating for Pittsburgh to lose him out of the blue...

As many a player has said before: "The minute you start thinking about retiring you should do it"

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/sean-gentille/2017/01/24/ben-roethlisberger-retirement-talk-pittsburgh-steelers-antonio-brown/stories/201701240140

I think that his comment is more out of the emotion of the loss. He'll be back (unfortunately)

"One thing to take into account with all of this is that Roethlisberger retiring would cause him to owe the Steelers $18.6 million, barring a clause in his contract preventing such a payback."[/size]

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-retire-uncertain-2017-health-all-options-012417

He's got almost 19 million reasons to be on that field next year. :thumbsup:

It is possible that Roethlisberger would have to repay that money, but it is rare that portions of signing bonuses are required to be repaid. The CBA has very strong language against repayment, but contracts can have clauses that require it. Roethlisberger could have one. It's odd that the reporter states that he'd need a clause preventing a repayment as the default is that no repayment would need to be made.

Having to give back $18 million would feel a lot worse than not making $18 million, even if the net is basically the same. Well, at least I think it would, since it's never persoanally happened to me.

Technically, I have not made $18 million, so I can tell you that part of the equation is quite sad.

Having to give back $18 million would feel a lot worse than not making $18 million, even if the net is basically the same. Well, at least I think it would, since it's never persoanally happened to me.

Technically, I have not made $18 million, so I can tell you that part of the equation is quite sad.

That's a $36,000,000 turnaround. I think I would be able to deal with one more year of the game to walk away "debt free" Edited by H2o

He is owed 19 million for next season alone. He is not going anywhere. Plus he might have to pay back some of that signing bonus. Like Brett Farve said Big Ben is just talking like that because his team just lost and that hurts. By July he will be ready to go

Yeah the odds of him not playing next year are probably on the slimmer side

Probably if he played any other position, but as a QB I think BB would have found a way to keep his mouth closed. The Steelers are a notoriously classless organization.

Really?

Yeah the odds of him not playing next year are probably on the slimmer side

Really?

"Really?" What? I don't get what you're saying. We can hate the Pats all we want, but running their mouth is just something they don't do. Big Ben runs his mouth all the time. It's part of the Steelers culture. Look at the whole Antonio Brown-Mike Tomlin episode. The Pats are cheaters, and the Steelers are classless imo.