The Trump Economy

GG

1 hour ago, TPS said:

The oldest and supposedly true is, "Someone find me a one-handed economist..."

H. Truman

Absolutely! Especially if it's Bernie who takes him baby!

I was asking you seriously if you really wanted a weak economy so you could get rid of Trump. Do you?

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Yeah It’s horrible for the economy to do well

We need to be good citizens and pray for the economy to tank, so that the Democrats can take control of Congress and save us all from the bad economy!

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I was asking you seriously if you really wanted a weak economy so you could get rid of Trump. Do you?

I am making a prediction about the economy and, as a consequence, its impact on Trump's bid for 2020. Since it's my profession, I don't wish any particular economic outcome, I simply try to predict the outcome.  If there's political fallout that I view as a good thing, then I won't be disappointed...

Fool's errand to directly link economics with politics.

There is no capital shortage. 

There is no labor shortage.

There is no exigent condition, like energy, that threatens growth.

Labor pressures will be handled, largely, by productivity increases.

The world is in a growth vector, from the emerging economies up to and through the  G7.

Enjoy it. It will slow down.

57 minutes ago, TPS said:

I am making a prediction about the economy and, as a consequence, its impact on Trump's bid for 2020. Since it's my profession, I don't wish any particular economic outcome, I simply try to predict the outcome.  If there's political fallout that I view as a good thing, then I won't be disappointed...

So, when you're right with your prediction will you gloat?

And how am I predictions will you make?

The predictions are built on 100 assumptions that have to turn out perfectly.

so when thy fail again they blame it on assumptions 43 and 87 not working out, so its not their fault, then they collect their fee and move to the next prediction with a Jenga tower of assumptons

i have to work with and against this kind of person all the time

Edited by row_33

3 hours ago, TPS said:

But the fallout will negatively impact people so you’re hoping for a negative outcome for a political outcome you find favorable.

8 hours ago, TPS said:

One person predicted > 4%, and 14 predicted between 3-4% as I suggest. 

As I stated in other posts, I expect this year to be in the 3-4% range which will lead the Fed to hike rates quicker than expected, most likely leading to the next recession in 2019. A low measured savings rate is and will be a consequence of the bottom 90% increasing debt-financed consumption expenditures related to their meager increases in disposable income from the tax cuts--another factor contributing to the likelihood of a slowdown in 2019.

You should hope this scenario plays out, because a weak economy in 2019/20 will make the trumpster a one-termer... 

If a rate hike leads to a recession, boy I can imagine the howls of a deep state conspiracy in the making! 

6 hours ago, Cinga said:

Seriously? For a couple decades now it has been a business labor market which has kept wages stagnated. We're finally going into a workers labor market and you want to dump more cheap labor in there to continue to hold wages down? 

I know you hate capitalism, but with this proposal you and the Dem Party need to STFU about the minimum wage and quit pretending you are in favor of the middle class. It's become obvious lately the Dems only care about illegal immigrant votes, cheap labor, and their wealthy donors.

Immigrants will increase jobs and wages. Your assumptions are seriously simplistic. 

A lack of available workers means businesses cant expand, hire more workers, order more supplies, buy more equipment thus creating more need for good, services, raw materials and consumer spending. Anti-immigration is anti-capitalism. The free flow of labor is necessary for economic growth. 

As a matter of fact, if those former coal miners would leave WV and move to where the jobs are--you know, show the initiative those foreign workers do--they wouldn't need to demand old energy gets favored by the government. 

1 hour ago, meazza said:

But the fallout will negatively impact people so you’re hoping for a negative outcome for a political outcome you find favorable.

No where have I said "I hope" a recession happens, I'm predicting one.

Recessions are inevitable. There will be another one before 2020. Since they are inevitable, even if I said I hope it happens before 2020, so what? People will be hurt when it happens whether it's before or after 2020. So let me offend your feelings Nancy, I am now predicting AND hoping it happens before 2020.

4 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

So, when you're right with your prediction will you gloat?

And how am I predictions will you make?

I gloated a few times about my predictions on inflation over the past 8 years or so. Since recessions are inevitable, being right about the timing doesn't mean I'm happy about the impact. All economists make predictions. When I'm right, it's confirmation that my economics is right. 

You'll have to rephrase that second question when you're sober...

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Immigrants will increase jobs and wages. Your assumptions are seriously simplistic. 

A lack of available workers means businesses cant expand, hire more workers, order more supplies, buy more equipment thus creating more need for good, services, raw materials and consumer spending. Anti-immigration is anti-capitalism. The free flow of labor is necessary for economic growth. 

Show me where this has proven true. In your scenario, business has no need to compete with each other for labor (which IS what drives up wages), your instead giving them a constant flow of workers for less money

1 hour ago, TPS said:

No where have I said "I hope" a recession happens, I'm predicting one.

Recessions are inevitable. There will be another one before 2020. Since they are inevitable, even if I said I hope it happens before 2020, so what? People will be hurt when it happens whether it's before or after 2020. So let me offend your feelings Nancy, I am now predicting AND hoping it happens before 2020.

I gloated a few times about my predictions on inflation over the past 8 years or so. Since recessions are inevitable, being right about the timing doesn't mean I'm happy about the impact. All economists make predictions. When I'm right, it's confirmation that my economics is right. 

You'll have to rephrase that second question when you're sober...

I trained in economics at UNCSA. As such, my studies tell me that the market will reach a out $3.50

21 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I trained in economics at UNCSA. As such, my studies tell me that the market will reach a out $3.50

You do know that when you took his class, Professor Loch Ness Monster didn't actually have a degree in economics, right?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

You do know that when you took his class, Professor Loch Ness Monster didn't actually have a degree in economics, right?

Just because he's 500 feet tall and from the Paleolithic era doesn't mean he can't self identify as a college professor.  Or a girl scout

• Haha (+1) 1