Proposed new penalty, and rules for review

How about designating one official to watch the game on TV like the rest of us? It's amazing how much you can see. Then he can radio down to the field judge and alert them if something needs a look.

Again, this is the college system. I've seen replays done in a matter of seconds

Tennis matches can tell if a ball is in or out within like a millimeter and it takes 10 seconds. Footballs should be equipped with microchips and the first down markers and end zone the same. There shouldn't be manual spotting of the football. It shouldn't be measured with guys running chains onto the field. It is 2017.

I like the concept, and it shouldn't be too hard to implement.

On the other hand, it opens up a whole new realm of cheating possibilities for New England.

Assessing a penalty for a player complaining about a call or non call is beyond idiotic. These are human beings out there who are emotionally vested. (I hope) they should be allowed to display and argue a bad call/non call..

If you want to speed up the game is simple.. Allow them to play football without having so many ticky tacky rules to enforce.

It is hilarious that the Pats* fan on the board is okay with whining :nana:

That said the NBA implemented something like this a few years ago.

The new rule that Javie referred to is an attempt by the N.B.A. to cut down on the whining and muttering, the arm-waving and air-punching, the drawn-out contentiousness that is often generated by foul calls players disagree with. If players cannot keep a lid on the complaining, they will receive a technical.

It has worked tremendously well and I would love to see it in the NFL. It was embarrassing this weekend watching the games and watching these grown men act like babies. How annoying is it to see every wr call for pi on every route run? How ridiculous is it that coaches can just berate the officials on the sideline? This rule could work and should be implemented. The NBA is enjoying great success recently. A rule can and should be put in place. They are adults and should act like it...

To the OP though the NFL NEEDS to go to the college replay system. If the call is wrong it should be corrected it shouldn't matter the circumstance. College does it right and it doesn't mess with the flow as much as I expected it to.

Assessing a penalty for a player complaining about a call or non call is beyond idiotic. These are human beings out there who are emotionally vested. (I hope) they should be allowed to display and argue a bad call/non call..

If you want to speed up the game is simple.. Allow them to play football without having so many ticky tacky rules to enforce.

check!

The new rule that Javie referred to is an attempt by the N.B.A. to cut down on the whining and muttering, the arm-waving and air-punching, the drawn-out contentiousness that is often generated by foul calls players disagree with. If players cannot keep a lid on the complaining, they will receive a technical.

It has worked tremendously well and I would love to see it in the NFL. It was embarrassing this weekend watching the games and watching these grown men act like babies. How annoying is it to see every wr call for pi on every route run? How ridiculous is it that coaches can just berate the officials on the sideline? This rule could work and should be implemented. The NBA is enjoying great success recently. A rule can and should be put in place. They are adults and should act like it...

Thank you!

To the OP though the NFL NEEDS to go to the college replay system. If the call is wrong it should be corrected it shouldn't matter the circumstance. College does it right and it doesn't mess with the flow as much as I expected it to.

Make all plays and penalties reviewed automatically. It is not going to slow the game down.

Not automatic review for penalties. Just allow coaches to challenge any penalty. Make PI a max 15 yard penalty. Two challenges per game. All scoring, boundary, and possession calls are automatic review of all aspects of the play. For instance the Seattle Detroit TD catch review would have resulted in PI and facemask offsetting penalties and replay 4th down.

And any unsportsmanlike penalty needs to have lost game time. Head shots should be an ejection.

Have you watched an NBA game recently? Seen LaBron play?

There is no evidence that the behavior of the players has changed at all.

The NBA would do far more good enforcing the rules that have been in place for decades than dumb new ones.

As soon as Sammy or Woods got an unsportsmanlike for begging a PI call, this place would be screaming at the refs about what a bad call it was.

None of this makes a lick of sense.

I think the perfect new penalty should be:

If a ref is found to have made a bad call, he has to back up 10 yards. If by the end of the game, he is out of the stadium, he stays there.. forever.

I think the perfect new penalty should be:

If a ref is found to have made a bad call, he has to back up 10 yards. If by the end of the game, he is out of the stadium, he stays there.. forever.

I like this. I've thought for a while if a ref makes a bone headed call which affects the outcome of a game, he Should be suspended and have to pass a hard 100 question test about the rules to get back in.

In all seriousness if they want the refs be better and speed up the game is a simple fix. Make the refs FULL TIME employees so they can learn all the rules and be trained how the NFL wants. This way you will get consistency and a lot less head scratching.

I think it is vastly unreasonable to expect a part time employee (who has a full time job) to learn and INDERSTAND every rule the NFL has as well as UNDERSTAND what the intent was behind the rule.

To speed up the game, talk to the college officials and find out how they are able to review plays in about 1/3 of the time the NFL seems to take..

The one thing I think is unfair is all scoring plays are reviewed, but if a guy is ruled stopped by the officials say on the 1/2 yard line, then no auto review. Meanwhile the TV replays are showing he did score. So now coach is forced to ask for replay and if it's In the last 2 minutes, he can't even do that. But if he had ruled to have scored then there's an automatic replay.