Leo Roth needs to find a new team to trash

Best way to stop the media moaning is win. Controversy sells papers and generates clicks. That has always been true.

The Pegulas made a darn silly decision two years ago to appoint a proven bad Head Coach. They lost the right to the benefit of the doubt when it comes to coaching choices.

These thoughts are inconsistent with correct thinking.

The TSW Elite Force will be knocking on your door to take you to the re-education camp now....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best way to stop the media moaning is win. Controversy sells papers and generates clicks. That has always been true.

The Pegulas made a darn silly decision two years ago to appoint a proven bad Head Coach. They lost the right to the benefit of the doubt when it comes to coaching choices.

I might disagree a tinch. Pegulas have become Patrons of Buffalo.com

Maybe that in itself should garner respect

More like cautious because Doug Whaley is still calling the shots and Pegulas track record with the Sabres isn't good either.

I really don't think we can learn much of anything from the Pegulas decisions with the Sabres. They both stayed with the status quo one time and they blew it up another. Plus the were several extenuating circumstances that influenced those decisions that aren't likely to happen in the NFL. They are conservative in nature and in their normal business and yet they like to make a big splash, like the Rex hire. They are both loyal and willing to make mistakes, of which they have made quite a few. So it's very tough if not impossible to make a prediction as to what they will do. I imagine they will just make decisions on Whaley as they go along.

More like cautious because Doug Whaley is still calling the shots and Pegulas track record with the Sabres isn't good either.

good point unfortunately about the Sabres.

I would like to see them seriously contend in two-3 years. BIlls ? A bit more time before i get bitter with the Pegulas

I really don't think we can learn much of anything from the Pegulas decisions with the Sabres. They both stayed with the status quo one time and they blew it up another. Plus the were several extenuating circumstances that influenced those decisions that aren't likely to happen in the NFL. They are conservative in nature and in their normal business and yet they like to make a big splash, like the Rex hire. They are both loyal and willing to make mistakes, of which they have made quite a few. So it's very tough if not impossible to make a prediction as to what they will do. I imagine they will just make decisions on Whaley as they go along.

This we can agree on.

People expecting them to react systematically like a Rooney or Hunt or Mara family member don't understand that the Pegula's have only had their instincts to go on and their first hire was a failure so expect them to be second-guessing themselves plenty.

McDermott has A LOT to prove to the fan base and media.

The OC and QB decision will tell it all.

They !@#$ that up and it will get even uglier from the media and then the fans.

What are you the ultimatum police. Everything is black and white?

This we can agree on.

People expecting them to react systematically like a Rooney or Hunt or Mara family member don't understand that the Pegula's have only had their instincts to go on and their first hire was a failure so expect them to be second-guessing themselves plenty.

Yep, and it's really the smart and only way to go. Unfortunately they haven't made good decisions yet. I love the Murray hire but everything else has been bad in retrospect between, Darcy and LaFontaine and Rex. You would say I imagine that keeping Whaley was bad, too. I liked him previously but am at the end of my rope with him if he jettisons Tyrod and doesn't have a solid guy in place.

I agree with Terry though that he never gave Rex and Whaley an ultimatum. Terry said he would never do that and it would be ridiculous and I agree with him. There is zero reason to tell a coach or GM you get in the playoffs or you are fired. It's just stupid.

Yep, and it's really the smart and only way to go. Unfortunately they haven't made good decisions yet. I love the Murray hire but everything else has been bad in retrospect between, Darcy and LaFontaine and Rex. You would say I imagine that keeping Whaley was bad, too. I liked him previously but am at the end of my rope with him if he jettisons Tyrod and doesn't have a solid guy in place.

I agree with Terry though that he never gave Rex and Whaley an ultimatum. Terry said he would never do that and it would be ridiculous and I agree with him. There is zero reason to tell a coach or GM you get in the playoffs or you are fired. It's just stupid.

Yeah and I wouldn't begrudge them firing McDermott in a year or two if they aren't satisfied.

They don't know what to look for.......they likely hired a group to do a search for them and that reflects how green they are and I expect them to become more fixed in what they want with more experience.

To me you have to have an identity in mind for your franchise......right now I think it's just......"well a coach like Rex doesn't work so let's try someone very unlike Rex".

As for the ultimatum I don't think "make the playoffs or else" but I wouldn't be surprised if rhetoric like "unacceptable" or "can't happen again" came up without specific mention of exact consequences.

When whispered from one ear to another messages tend to get misconstrued.

I DO think they were already thinking about the possibility that they were going to have to fire Rex after 2015 don't you?

Edited by #BADOL

Yeah and I wouldn't begrudge them firing McDermott in a year or two if they aren't satisfied.

They don't know what to look for.......they likely hired a group to do a search for them and that reflects how green they are and I expect them to become more fixed in what they want with more experience.

To me you have to have an identity in mind for your franchise......right now I think it's just......"well a coach like Rex doesn't work so let's try someone very unlike Rex".

As for the ultimatum I don't think "make the playoffs or else" but I wouldn't be surprised if rhetoric like "unacceptable" or "can't happen again" came up without specific mention of exact consequences.

I DO think they were already thinking about the possibility that they were going to have to fire Rex after 2015 don't you?

Yep. And now I'm going to get the papers, get the papers.

That's not the same thing as an ultimatum. It's the same thing you and I were thinking.

Re your first line about firing McDermott if he fails early on: this is why I now have a hunch thst the Bills will keep Taylor. McDermott has gotta be smart enough to know that starting a rookie draft pick qb or a Nick Foles-type player has the strong potential to generate consecutive 4-12 seasons. If that happens, he will probably be fired, and he knows it. This isn't a long-term league, and he needs to get wins NOW - at least 7-8 to turn this into a 3-year plus gig.

Re your first line about firing McDermott if he fails early on: this is why I now have a hunch thst the Bills will keep Taylor. McDermott has gotta be smart enough to know that starting a rookie draft pick qb or a Nick Foles-type player has the strong potential to generate consecutive 4-12 seasons. If that happens, he will probably be fired, and he knows it. This isn't a long-term league, and he needs to get wins NOW - at least 7-8 to turn this into a 3-year plus gig.

I agree......I'm pencilling Taylor back in........but it really depends on just how confident McDermott is.

Has he learned from the punches in the nose he got in Philly and this year with the Josh Norman fiasco?

Or in his mind were those instances entirely someone else's fault?

I feel like the Pegula's hired a search team and basically gave them traits that they felt at the time they wanted in a HC.

Maybe younger, hard working, high energy with experience in 1 gap 4-3 defenses..........basically anti-Rex traits............. and that's how they came up with the perculiarly short list that included Richards and McDermott.

I have experience with hiring companies to do analysis and if you expect them to surprise you.....well you will surely be disappointed. They just take a few traits and run with it. There is rarely any insight. I'm guessing they overpaid for something Whaley and Monos could have done but probably got a bit more piece of mind from it coming from an outside source. :beer:

The problem for McDermott is ........what if the Pegula's change their mind on the traits they feel are imperative?

Like the way they did after they hired Rex and saw the inherent issues with his system and approach to the job?

McDermott would be wise to figure out a way to win now and if the Pegula's are going to be fair they should give him the players he needs(which I think they will do but have to bring up because Ralph used to like to hire people then see what they could do with LESS :lol: ).

Well, I thought Leo Roth's job was "reporter", not "trash the next coach because previously the organization hasn't had success". If Roth isn't reporting on the new coach and his staff's credentials (or doing some reasonable analysis instead of just whining "they haven't been good - everything they do sucks"), then Leo should not be getting paid.

He is trying to take Dr. Quack's job.

Am I supposed to know who Leo Roth is? I feel like I do a fairly decent amount of Bills-related reading and I can't think of who he is.

I don't know if you're supposed to know who he is. He's one of two guys who cover the team for the Rochester D and C. Lately he just seems sad about the team, and I was suggesting he may want to cover something less depressing like the Ray Stevens or maybe even Topo Gigio.

I'm not mad at him for being tired of the Buffalo Bills. He's been covering them for a long time, and for the last few years it's been an eddy of despair. However, as a journalist, he has become jaded and way too negative to continue covering the Bills. He and that Sal guy did a half an hour video blog Thursday that would have turned the happiest, most delusional Bills fan into a two week funk. He painted a picture of this team as one with no hope whatsoever.

The Pegs are probably done with their baptism into the NFL. TP even mentioned that they shouldn't be held accountable for the years before they bought the team. Hell, we're lucky they bought the team. Who else would buy this spent piece of used jet trash? TP and his wife put up, what, 1.4 billion to get this team, and we're riding them?

They got all jacked up and hired Rex because it seemed like the right thing to do. They realized their mistake and got rid of him.

Leo seems to think there is more of the same. If anything, it's refreshing to see owners who made the move to get rid of Rex, throwing away 17 million more dollars.

Leo, you should go cover the Globetrotters. They win nearly all the time. They even make the children laugh.

I agree with you about the Pegulas, man its amazing how quickly people forget. I don't have any issue with Roth or any other journalist being down on the Bills, they definitely deserve it but I agree the Pegulas tried to do the right thing, make a splash. It didn't work, so what, keep going.